Programmable Remote Keymapping

Carlo

IkeTaylor11

Wait - I thought the whole reason i added that was because your remote was sending that for previous channel...?

if you can program it, why not just use the proper previous channel code?

You added F3 keycode for me. The remote I use has a physical button for last channel and it programmed to F3. I would like both keycodes to remain in the software.

I have been playing around with a button remapper to make a button function with keycode 266, but it requires a manual adb entry every time I reboot my shield.

Having both keycodes allows for options when it comes to remotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You added F3 keycode for me. The remote I use has a physical button for last channel and it programmed to F3. I would like both keycodes to remain in the software.

I have been playing around with a button remapper to make a button function with keycode 266, but it requires a manual adb entry every time I reboot my shield.

Having both keycodes allows for options when it comes to remotes.

Okay, sorry, got y'all mixed up.

Still, if anyone is manually programming a button, use the proper previous channel code instead of F3.

IkeTaylor11

Okay, sorry, got y'all mixed up.

Still, if anyone is manually programming a button, use the proper previous channel code instead of F3.

Yes I agree with that. Did both keycodes make it into the GA release for the ATV app yet? Or do I need to continue using the beta app?

Harmony Elite has all of F1 to F12. I mapped F3 to Previous Channel. Not sure how to map the numerical codes such as 133 etc in the Harmony though..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Harmony Elite has all of F1 to F12. I mapped F3 to Previous Channel. Not sure how to map the numerical codes such as 133 etc in the Harmony though..

Not really following that... why does Fx come into play at all.  Can't you just map a button on the remote to "Previous Channel" (which would be the proper code)?

• Like 1

pünktchen

You have to choose a specific device that remote buttons you want to assign to the Harmony buttons. Android is not device.

• Like 1

Yes. The device type is Media Center PC, Manufacturer is Nvidia and the device is Shield. The command for Prev Channel and several others do not exist in the Harmony Elite code set unfortunately.

Harmony Elite and Hub are paired to the ShieldTV as a Harmony Bluetooth KEYBOARD so most keyboard keys are available.

That said, Harmony 900 doesn't connect as a Bluetooth keyboard but rather an IR remote. I'll need to see if it has the F# key codes, either natively 2015 model or via FLIRC on the 2017 model, and report back.

• Like 1

That said, I know that the numerical keys work with FLIRC and Device = Kodi on my 2017's but do not work via IR and native ShieldTV on my one 2015.

Rather than continue to chase that I will probably get another FLIRC since Logitech doesn't seem to get it working even though I sent them the pronto hex codes..

There are no F# keys in the native implementation of the ShieldTV on the Harmony 900 keyset (or any other Harmony IR remote) for the 2015 model. I still haven't had the chance to check on the FLIRC/Kodi implementation on my 2017 models.

I'm thinking I can teach Harmony to have it from one of those el cheapo remotes. Input?

Thanks.

pünktchen

I think beside the native Android keycodes @@ebr you really should implement some simple pc keyboard keycodes. And with simple i don't mean something like F3 that only one user requested! Something like this:

H -> Homescreen

G -> Guide

I -> Info

C -> Contextmenu

P -> Play/Pause

R -> Record

S -> Subtitle Track selection

A -> Audio Track selection

L -> Last Channel

Page Up -> TV Channel up

Page Down -> TV Channel down

Left -> Skip Back

Right -> Skip Forward

Ctrl+Left -> Previous Chapter

Ctrl+Right -> Next Chapter

Alt+Left -> Previous Track

Alt+Right -> Next Track

This could also be used then in Emby Theater.

• Like 5

I think beside the native Android keycodes @@ebr you really should implement some simple pc keyboard keycodes. And with simple i don't mean something like F3 that only one user requested! Something like this:

H -> Homescreen

G -> Guide

I -> Info

C -> Contextmenu

P -> Play/Pause

R -> Record

L -> Last Channel

Page Up -> TV Channel up

Left -> Skip Back

Right -> Skip Forward

Alt+Right -> Next Track

Sounds good. I'm not sure if Harmony Elite sends those or not. I'll check and report back.

• 4 months later...

H -> Homescreen

G -> Guide

I -> Info

C -> Contextmenu

P -> Play/Pause

R -> Record

L -> Last Channel

Page Up -> TV Channel up

Left -> Skip Back

Right -> Skip Forward

Alt+Right -> Next Track

Agreed - and it would be nice for these to be consistent with Emby Theater..  There are a few others that should be included as well, like Recorded TV/Recordings.  See https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Keyboard%20and%20Remote%20Support

If keyboard shortcuts are implemented, then everyone using FLIRC's (myself and it sounds like many others) can just use the FLIRC software to program any arbitrary IR command on their harmony remotes (or any other remote) to send any of the keyboard shortcuts.  Adding keyboard shortcuts like these would make the Android client much more usable with a remote and generally make it more friendly for new users and users transitioning from Windows Media Center.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Dan_Austin

Pronto.... wow, that's been a while :).

Sadly none of the customizable remotes have tools even close to what ProntoEdit

was capable of.  I like my Harmony, but the tools are horrific.  No ability to edit direct

IR hex codes.  Cannot export/import device profiles to share.  Setup the devices in

such an order to have the wrong one be the default for an activity, delete and start over.

On topic-  I bought a 2019 Shield in part due to this thread, hoping to avoid the limited

functionality inherent in most streaming device remotes.  I am largely pleased with the

results.  If a few more of the gaming controller buttons, or F-keys, could be mapped to features

like guide it would be icing on the cake.  It would require either an in app help screen with

the map or at least a knowledgebase article, but well worth it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Sammy

@@ebr

Any progress here? It's been over a year now.

I'm setting up a new FLIRC and ran across this post on the FLIRC forums.

Would it be possible to use the command line utility to map these android keycodes using the builtin hid conversion support?

Info key
Common on TV remotes to show additional information related to what is
currently being viewed
KEYCODE_INFO = 165

Guide key
On TV remotes, shows a programming guide
KEYCODE_GUIDE = 172

Red “programmable” key
On TV remotes, acts as a contextual/programmable key
KEYCODE_PROG_RED = 183

Green “programmable” key
On TV remotes, actsas a contextual/programmable key
KEYCODE_PROG_GREEN = 184

Yellow “programmable” key
KEYCODE_PROG_YELLOW = 185

Blue “programmable” key
KEYCODE_PROG_BLUE = 186

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/3746-how-would-i-use-flirc-util-to-map-these-android-key-codes/

Edited by Sammy

• 2 years later...
learch74

Any chance the keymap feature has been implemented?

Using a firecube, and the one thing I'm missing is previous channel, channel up and down.  Would love to add it.

I'm using a USB keyboard/airmouse/remote combo and it works great and was cheap.  I tied a Harmony and couldn't get the firecube to work the way I wanted.

My remote has 4 button's I'd like to map.

209 to the F3 Key, 092 Channel up and 093 channel down.  I've tried editing the /system/usr/keylayout file, but Amazon has locked it down for editing with the updates they pushed.   Wish I had blocked updates sooner.

If it's possible to map the keys please let me know.

Hi.  The Fire app will respond to the prev channel button on a proper TV remote already so you just need to send that code.

Also improvements to channel up/down support across more Emby apps is planned for future updates. Thanks.

learch74
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The Fire app will respond to the prev channel button on a proper TV remote already so you just need to send that code.

Do you know what remote I need?  The default one has no back key.   IS there a specific remote I should get?

1 hour ago, learch74 said:

Do you know what remote I need?  The default one has no back key.   IS there a specific remote I should get?

Hi.  You don't want "back" you want KEYCODE_LAST_CHANNEL in Android terms. 

learch74
On 7/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  You don't want "back" you want KEYCODE_LAST_CHANNEL in Android terms. 

I found a remote that works amazing with the firecube, it's the Buzztv ARQ100 all the live tv keys work, number, go back, channel up and down!  YAY!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
heula

In Kodi there is a keymap.xml where we can set several keys to do things such as next subtitle or search subtitle and much more. There is also a addon called keymap editor which can do the same thing in a different way.

Is there a way I can set a F1 - F12 key for my Nvidia Shield TV in combination with my harmony companion remote to do things like that? 

I would like to add a F key to cycle through available subtitles and open search when no subtitle is available. 

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
crusher11

The one thing I miss after moving from LG to Android TV is being able to skip to the next/previous chapter with one button press instead of having to pull up the OSD and pick out the chapter I want. 

• 3 months later...