Programmable Remote Keymapping

Carlo

IkeTaylor11

That is good news and gives me hope for the last channel button too.

I might try the Flirc route with an Inteset remote. The Flirc allows a standard IR remote to be paired with the Shield. They are partnering with Inteset to do standard programming with their remotes.  If I were to get these does Emby have the ability to process the keycode if its pressed on the remote? 

If I went with this option I would have to go back to using a separate keyboard again though. 

The next beta of the app will recognize the last channel button if you can make your remote send that to the device.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
nick114

there is a plug in on kodi  what can map keys on a remote it is called keymap editor  the creator is takoi

is there any way we can copy it for emby 

• 3 weeks later...
IkeTaylor11

The next beta of the app will recognize the last channel button if you can make your remote send that to the device.

did this ever make it into the latest beta? I found a software remote that has the ability to do last channel and was hoping to try it out tonight. 

did this ever make it into the latest beta? I found a software remote that has the ability to do last channel and was hoping to try it out tonight. 

It is in the current release of the app.

Thanks.

IkeTaylor11

@@ebr can you make number zero act as last channel please?

Can’t do that. The number pad is used to enter channel numbers in the live TV guide. It would stop that from working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pünktchen

Can’t do that. The number pad is used to enter channel numbers in the live TV guide. It would stop that from working.

I mean when there's nothing on screen, no guide, no osd, no channellist.

Btw. zero alone doesn't work correctly anyway. I have a channel with number 0 but this ignored.

IkeTaylor11

It is in the current release of the app.

Thanks.

It works!!!!! I can use my Sony TV remote with CEC and when I hit the "jump" button it goes back to the previous channel. Now I just wish I could find an Android remote with that damn button on it. 

IkeTaylor11

@@ebr this is the best thing ever. I was able to program a button on my third party remote with my shield. I now have a dedicated previous channel button on the remote I use everyday with my shield.

Thank you for getting this added into Emby.

Sammy

It works!!!!! I can use my Sony TV remote with CEC and when I hit the "jump" button it goes back to the previous channel. Now I just wish I could find an Android remote with that damn button on it.

@@ebr this is the best thing ever. I was able to program a button on my third party remote with my shield. I now have a dedicated previous channel button on the remote I use everyday with my shield.

Thank you for getting this added into Emby.

Do you guys care to share a bit more? I'd like to get the correct settings in my Harmony 900's and Harmony Elite to do this too!

What model Sony TV? Maybe I can emulate that for my ShieldTV's. What third party remote? Something to try too?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

IkeTaylor11

Channel up and down should be the next!

Yes, I 2nd this. I actually thought it had this already, but it doesn't work. 

@@ebr can you add the following keycodes into the next version of Emby. 

KEYCODE_CHANNEL_DOWN

public static final int KEYCODE_CHANNEL_DOWN

Key code constant: Channel down key. On TV remotes, decrements the television channel. * @apiSince 11

Constant Value: 167 (0x000000a7)

KEYCODE_CHANNEL_UP

public static final int KEYCODE_CHANNEL_UP

Key code constant: Channel up key. On TV remotes, increments the television channel. * @apiSince 11

Constant Value: 166 (0x000000a6)

Edited by IkeTaylor11

IkeTaylor11

Do you guys care to share a bit more? I'd like to get the correct settings in my Harmony 900's and Harmony Elite to do this too!

What model Sony TV? Maybe I can emulate that for my ShieldTV's. What third party remote? Something to try too?

TIA

Any TV remote that has a "last", "jump", "chnl rtn" button on it should work for you to test with or program a button on your Shield 3rd party remote. I used my Sony remote with CEC enabled and it worked fine. I just don't want to use multiple remotes. 

I currently have the remote in the link below as the remote I use with my Shield. It works amazing and every button is programmable on it. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796705881.html

I am going to be purchasing the remote listed below to test this weekend. It has more physical buttons, including a previous channel button. Hopefully I don't have to do any button programming with it. But, I will update here once I know.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KMLZKNV/?coliid=I3R86G2XBUF2IH&colid=2TT8Q5LR8SV9W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

Sammy

Any TV remote that has a "last", "jump", "chnl rtn" button on it should work for you to test with or program a button on your Shield 3rd party remote. I used my Sony remote with CEC enabled and it worked fine. I just don't want to use multiple remotes.

I currently have the remote in the link below as the remote I use with my Shield. It works amazing and every button is programmable on it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796705881.html

I am going to be purchasing the remote listed below to test this weekend. It has more physical buttons, including a previous channel button. Hopefully I don't have to do any button programming with it. But, I will update here once I know.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KMLZKNV/?coliid=I3R86G2XBUF2IH&colid=2TT8Q5LR8SV9W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Does that first remote need any button mapping? It is cheap enough to grab one to use to program my Harmony remotes. I have seven TVs run by Shield TV and one run by Fire TV. It would get a little bit expensive to buy one for each TV especially since I already have all these Harmony 900 remotes and one Harmony Elite remote that works great with Alexa and can be used to control my lights and thermostats also with my Vera Plus home automation controller.

IkeTaylor11

Does that first remote need any button mapping? It is cheap enough to grab one to use to program my Harmony remotes. I have seven TVs run by Shield TV and one run by Fire TV. It would get a little bit expensive to buy one for each TV especially since I already have all these Harmony 900 remotes and one Harmony Elite remote that works great with Alexa and can be used to control my lights and thermostats also with my Vera Plus home automation controller.

you shouldnt need any other remotes since you have a harmony. just hit the previous channel button on the harmony remote, it should send the correct keycode to the Shield and change the channel. The aliexpress remote I have does not have a physical previous channel button, I programmed a button on it from the previous channel button on my tv remote. 

• Like 1

Yes, I 2nd this. I actually thought it had this already, but it doesn't work. 

@@ebr can you add the following keycodes into the next version of Emby. 

KEYCODE_CHANNEL_DOWN

public static final int KEYCODE_CHANNEL_DOWN

Key code constant: Channel down key. On TV remotes, decrements the television channel. * @apiSince 11

Constant Value: 167 (0x000000a7)

KEYCODE_CHANNEL_UP

public static final int KEYCODE_CHANNEL_UP

Key code constant: Channel up key. On TV remotes, increments the television channel. * @apiSince 11

Constant Value: 166 (0x000000a6)

I still don't want to do this until we can speed up channel changing to be consistently within a second or two. 

However, when we get there, one question is where does that go?  Does it always go to the next lowest channel number or does it go to the previous one how your channels are currently sorted?

IkeTaylor11

I still don't want to do this until we can speed up channel changing to be consistently within a second or two. 

However, when we get there, one question is where does that go?  Does it always go to the next lowest channel number or does it go to the previous one how your channels are currently sorted?

To me it would make sense for it to follow the channel order that is shown in the programming guide screen. So if you put your favorites first in the guide then channel up or down would incorporate those in the order. 

• Like 2

Sammy

you shouldnt need any other remotes since you have a harmony. just hit the previous channel button on the harmony remote, it should send the correct keycode to the Shield and change the channel. The aliexpress remote I have does not have a physical previous channel button, I programmed a button on it from the previous channel button on my tv remote.

I guess I need some assistance with my Harmony's, ShieldTV and Emby..

I have three scenarios.

1. Harmony Elite with Hub controlling a 2017 ShieldTV via Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard mapping.

2. Harmony 900 controlling 2017 ShieldTV via FLIRC USB Dongle.

3. Harmony 900 controlling 2015 ShieldTV via its native IR receiver.

Any assistance to properly set up each of these would be great!

Thanks!

Sammy

To me it would make sense for it to follow the channel order that is shown in the programming guide screen. So if you put your favorites first in the guide then channel up or down would incorporate those in the order.

I agree with this method of incorporation.

IkeTaylor11

I guess I need some assistance with my Harmony's, ShieldTV and Emby..

I have three scenarios.

1. Harmony Elite with Hub controlling a 2017 ShieldTV via Harmony Bluetooth Keyboard mapping.

2. Harmony 900 controlling 2017 ShieldTV via FLIRC USB Dongle.

3. Harmony 900 controlling 2015 ShieldTV via its native IR receiver.

Any assistance to properly set up each of these would be great!

Thanks!

This isn’t the place for this. Start a new thread and ask for help. Someone might know how to configure what you need to do. I do not use harmony remotes or flirc. Not sure why you would even be having an issue though. Just push the previous channel button on your remote. That should be all.

Your best bet would be to reach out to Harmony support since its their remote you are trying to use. Has nothing to do with Emby or the Shield. Its remote control logic. 

Edited by IkeTaylor11

Sammy

This isn’t the place for this. Start a new thread and ask for help. Someone might know how to configure what you need to do. I do not use harmony remotes or flirc. Not sure why you would even be having an issue though. Just push the previous channel button on your remote. That should be all.

Your best bet would be to reach out to Harmony support since its their remote you are trying to use. Has nothing to do with Emby or the Shield. Its remote control logic. 

You don't really have to be rude about it. Jeez.

This discussion is all about setting up Emby to work with remotes and very much fits. Having the remote send the correct codes to control Emby on the ShieldTV is the discussion here.

BTW, there is no Previous Channel button on my Harmony Remotes as it returns to the previous screen in AndroidTV as it is mapped as a Back button.

IkeTaylor11

You don't really have to be rude about it. Jeez.

This discussion is all about setting up Emby to work with remotes and very much fits. Having the remote send the correct codes to control Emby on the ShieldTV is the discussion here.

BTW, there is no Previous Channel button on my Harmony Remotes as it returns to the previous screen in AndroidTV as it is mapped as a Back button.

I wasn't being rude at all, just helps to keep threads on topic.

This thread was about allowing specific buttons on remotes to work inside Emby. That has been accomplished and has been tested and verified to work. Emby isn't going to help you setup your remote, that would be insane. There are thousands or remote types that people use. Emby can interpret the button press correctly, hence the issue is complete. 

If you don't have a previous channel button on your remote then you would need to program a button with android keycode 229 for Emby to interpret. As I said reach out to Harmony and ask them how to do it. 

pünktchen

However, when we get there...

It is already. At least with the direct play option. Of course it's not with timeshifting enabled and you will never get there as long as you are using ffmpeg to create the buffer file. So please give us now channel up and down!

IkeTaylor11

@@ebr is it possible to assign multiple keycodes for previous channel? I would like keycode 133 (F3) to work as previous channel just like keycode 229 does now. The new buzz tv remote (arq-100) has 133 as the keycode programmed to the previous channel button.