Question about replace existing images

hermann_x5

4 minutes ago, wkl_lau said:

Hi @Lukethank, depending on the filename of the image, if it is identical to the video, it will be deleted (as expected) but nothing is generated.

The only case where a folder primary image is generated is when there is no image in the folder, or when the image has the same filename as the video

Are you observing the same thing? (Make sure you are in folder view and testing is done on TrueNAS)

Thx

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do that? Thanks.

1. In movie_1, the presences of pictures with different filename block screengrabber to add folder image

I don't think it does. The video will get a screen grabber image, but the folder may use one of the existing image files that are already there. The video and the folder are two different things.

On 08/12/2022 at 03:02, Luke said:

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do that? Thanks.

Hi @Luke here is the log, I redo the VM twice and still got the same result. You have to see it in folder view to observe the issue (see screenshot)

Notice the folder for movie_1 is blank and have no primary image. Screengrabber just refuse to do anything if here is already an image in the folder.

If the image has the same name as the video, then it will be used as primary image (ex: video_2.mov/video_2.jpg)

Folder_view.jpg

movie_1.jpg

movie_2.jpg

movie_3.jpg

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

This issue is it is a folder with a video and 2 photos.  So technically it should not get an image as there is no way to know whether a photo or video image should be used.  But eventually it will use the first image in the folder.

So folder content changes the distinction of item vs folder.

Notice the folder for movie_1 is blank and have no primary image. Screengrabber just refuse to do anything if here is already an image in the folder.

No that's not true. You're not looking at the video, you're looking at the folder. If you drill into the folder, then i think you'll see the video does have a generated image.

On 09/12/2022 at 16:41, Luke said:

No that's not true. You're not looking at the video, you're looking at the folder. If you drill into the folder, then i think you'll see the video does have a generated image.

@LukeMy issue has always been about the folder. I can see the video inside without problem. My issue is about the folder not having a primary image

On 09/12/2022 at 16:29, Happy2Play said:

This issue is it is a folder with a video and 2 photos.  So technically it should not get an image as there is no way to know whether a photo or video image should be used.  But eventually it will use the first image in the folder.

So folder content changes the distinction of item vs folder.

@Happy2Play So I went back and create another folder called movie_4, and having one video and one picture, and I make sure the picture is named differently than the video. And again the folder has no primary image (see attachment)

Folder_view_with_movie_4.jpg

movie_4.jpg

Happy2Play

@wkl_lau It usually takes time or additional scans to populate folder\subfolder level images and usually is not the image you would prefer.

22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@wkl_lau It usually takes time or additional scans to populate folder\subfolder level images and usually is not the image you would prefer.

@Happy2Play So I redo the scan and eventually the folder image shows.

Note that this is my test environment, in my actual NAS, some folders no matter what you do with it, it just refuse to get a folder image, and those folder either have multiple pictures, or the pictures having a different name.

@Luke Is there any scaling limits of the Emby/screengrabbers, like if your library having too many videos? Or having too many nesting layers?

@Luke @Happy2Play I am still having problem...

So in movie_4 folder, I rename the image to not matching the video's name video_4.mov/video_4_cover.jpg (notice I added text in the video_4_cover.jpg so I can tell if it show up)

movie_4_16DEC2022.jpg.de46295e58998c522995972997d8d1c5.jpg

I did a rescan and refresh metadata, and I notice not only the image is not used as folder primary image, it is not even show up in the photo view

Folder_view_with_movie_4_16DEC2022.thumb.jpg.81ed44bc5e681b37052917bc5ef10b1d.jpg

Photo_view_16DEC2022.thumb.jpg.38f849fc9e5b11fdc8d4c84d43707dd5.jpg

In another word, I cannot see that picture at all in Emby

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@wkl_lau This is not a folder it is a video item per the icon.  So the image was used for the item as cover is an acceptable naming scheme.

image.png.51fff7283dceac42426f9ebf20e48385.png

Exactly! The image is not used at all, just a screen grab from the video is used as covered.

Are you saying the naming of the image make it not being used as cover? But then why it doesn't show even in photo view??

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, wkl_lau said:

Exactly! The image is not used at all, just a screen grab from the video is used as covered.

Are you saying the naming of the image make it not being used as cover? But then why it doesn't show even in photo view??

Hard to say maybe a cache issue but with the images so much alike I can't really see much difference in the images.  But since it is not showing a folder the image is being used by the item in some way.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Hard to say maybe a cache issue but with the images so much alike I can't really see much difference in the images.  But since it is not showing a folder the image is being used by the item in some way.

Thanks, that's why I added the text to the image in order to make it easier to distinguish the image from screengrab

movie_4_16DEC2022.jpg.db59d723954bc59248a0c50251f4559b.jpg

And from both the photo and folder view, the image is no where to be found

Happy2Play

Yes in this example I will guess a naming conflict but @Lukewill have to confirm as this video_4_cover.jpg is ignored while a change to video_4-cover.jpg will get used.

32 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes in this example I will guess a naming conflict but @Lukewill have to confirm as this video_4_cover.jpg is ignored while a change to video_4-cover.jpg will get used.

That is correct.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

@wkl_lau This is not a folder it is a video item per the icon.  So the image was used for the item as cover is an acceptable naming scheme.

If I rename the image as per the acceptable naming scheme, yes it will be used automatically as primary image, but a metadata refresh + replace existing image will cause it to be deleted.

I tried a few different formats: {name}.ext, {name}-cover.ext, cover.ext. It behave the same..

Is there anyway I can use an image as the primary image without the worry of being deleted when trigger a metadata refresh+replace image?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, wkl_lau said:

If I rename the image as per the acceptable naming scheme, yes it will be used automatically as primary image, but a metadata refresh + replace existing image will cause it to be deleted.

I tried a few different formats: {name}.ext, {name}-cover.ext, cover.ext. It behave the same..

Is there anyway I can use an image as the primary image without the worry of being deleted when trigger a metadata refresh+replace image?

To a point it deviates from accepted -cover.ext naming scheme but don't know why it would be completely ignored.

But proper naming works just fine shown earlier and now. Renamed image and did library scan.

image.png.f196774f85772bdfa16636ed375cb9b7.png

image.png.753accb39d826ee8f2b0437f5b5aca96.png

55 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

To a point it deviates from accepted -cover.ext naming scheme but don't know why it would be completely ignored.

But proper naming works just fine shown earlier and now. Renamed image and did library scan.

image.png.f196774f85772bdfa16636ed375cb9b7.png

image.png.753accb39d826ee8f2b0437f5b5aca96.png

It's because the photo scanning is just blindly ignoring all images starting with the video file name. That's something that needs to be adjusted.

• Like 1