Question about replace existing images

hermann_x5

hermann_x5

Simply do not touch my media folders except if I tell you otherwise (for example by chosing to have the metadata in the media folders...)

tillithz

How do we know that these images are "3rd party"?

Even when you select an option that states it will "Replace Existing Images" you don't feel it should do that?

it would be one thing if replacing images it did it correctly, but since theres an issue with that currently it might be a good idea to inform everyone not to use that feature yet 

Simply do not touch my media folders except if I tell you otherwise (for example by chosing to have the metadata in the media folders...)

But you did tell us otherwise by using that command, right?

I told the server to do some command that I didn't want, and apparently I misunderstand the command, and apparently the server programmer did not provide enough program policy info and warning. The situation apparently happened now by more than one people. I can restore the mistake from backup and internet, but how can we prevent this situation from happening again for any other people in the future?

Deathsquirrel

I told the server to do some command that I didn't want, and apparently I misunderstand the command, and apparently the server programmer did not provide enough program policy info and warning. The situation apparently happened now by more than one people. I can restore the mistake from backup and internet, but how can we prevent this situation from happening again for any other people in the future?

Sorry to be a smartass, but how many layers of making you click 'are you sure?' do we need?

If you check that box the existing stuff is deleted and downloaded again.  It's not on by default and the existing description on the page clearly says what the function does.

tillithz

Sorry to be a smartass, but how many layers of making you click 'are you sure?' do we need?

If you check that box the existing stuff is deleted and downloaded again.  It's not on by default and the existing description on the page clearly says what the function does.

Its clear cchsieh is frustrated and may not be explaining it well. The fact remains though that even if there was multiple layers and a non defaulted box that required being checked, the metadata was broken and if not for that any user would surely try to troubleshoot the issues before even posting. Thats what many of us did. Sure, he clicked to replaced everything, if it had done its job correctly he couldnt complain about it deleting files but since it replaced with erroneous images thats why the gripe.

To add to the issue, if this was the first time that an update caused problems it would be forgivable. Honestly, every single version has been a challenge for me and looks like the same for many others. I gladly supported the developers from the beginning instead of waiting out the trial, even abandoned Plex. To see this issue taking 7+ days to resolve is disappointing (v4 released 1-14-2019) surely pulling v4 6 days ago would of been wise? I dont even know that the issue is resolved since my entire library must be rescanned and that takes a long time. Imagine the outrage if its not fixed. Additionally, there are valid reasons for not wanting to put the metadata from Emby into each media's folder.... organization is why I dont. I dont need clutter should I ditch Emby and go back to Plex or any other solution. Can you imagine the mess of cleaning all that out of each folder? ugh no thanks. Better communication and a reasonable way to revert back is the solution here. Replacing the system folder did not work for me, I dont know or care why. Let the testers test the updates even if it takes an additional 6 months. It looks like most people with issues would of gladly held off updating had we known. 

Happy2Play

And are you seeing any improvement in todays release?  But if you have already re-identified things then no one will know.

Everyone's issue will be unique as no one saves their media the same way.  There are ways that are fool proof but some users refuse to do it that way.  So there is no way to accommodate everyone all the time.

Edited by Happy2Play

After using so many music/video players and media servers, it is the first time the media server deleted files and didn't create anything to replace old one, and all images were suddenly missing. If the server replaced new correct images for me, I may not come to here to talk about this situation. As #18 #20 what I said, I didn't think the server should do the replacing action in my directories, even the deletion.

For me, I know now how to control my emby server (what action I avoid to use), and love the performace of new version and thanks. I just want no more people encounter this situation again if it is the server program's logic, and may write more words of what the server will do and may happen in the screen of #18 (one of the ways, I think). 

BTW, sorry for my bad english.

Edited by cchsieh

hermann_x5

@luke: I am sorry, but I am really apalled at how you treat your paying customers. And although now everything seems to work and there was no real damage on my side (as I had backups, which maybe some people don't), this whole experience makes me like Emby sooo much less. Mainly because of your attitude and some of the other answers here. This whole situation is mostly a real problem of the product (deleting files without replacing them) + a lack of transparency of the UI (what exactly happened, no proper warnings) + for sure some hasty clicking on the user side. Just own up to the problem and fix it but do not put up an attitude.

GreyBeard

@@Luke: I am sorry, but I am really apalled at how you treat your paying customers. And although now everything seems to work and there was no real damage on my side (as I had backups, which maybe some people don't), this whole experience makes me like Emby sooo much less. Mainly because of your attitude and some of the other answers here. This whole situation is mostly a real problem of the product (deleting files without replacing them) + a lack of transparency of the UI (what exactly happened, no proper warnings) + for sure some hasty clicking on the user side. Just own up to the problem and fix it but do not put up an attitude.

Hey @@Luke , How you enjoying this whole closed source commercial product thing? (just kidding, I'm a paid supporter and even with the occasional glitch, like what I bought) Actually, since I run on the beta I figure it's not worth getting worked up over any issues. I personally never use the delete media option or use the net scrapers. I use local nfo and images and all seems to work ok with me. In fact the network shares emby uses now are read only just to make sure it doesn't screw with stuff. I take care of my images and meta data myself even with the size of my libraries. But then again, I'm pretty much stuck at home while dealing with chemo so I gotta keep busy somehow. If I did have one complaint, I know that going to 4.0 and betas after, if there are major database changes emby is busy updatin things in the background but it may alleviate some of the angst if on the dashboard there were some sort of notification that it's still working on things in the background until it's done.

Emby won't by default.  It takes several things for this to happen.

Yes and the admin had to manually change where Emby saves it's artwork to as well before the replace of artwork took place in the media folders.

@luke: I am sorry, but I am really apalled at how you treat your paying customers. And although now everything seems to work and there was no real damage on my side (as I had backups, which maybe some people don't), this whole experience makes me like Emby sooo much less. Mainly because of your attitude and some of the other answers here. This whole situation is mostly a real problem of the product (deleting files without replacing them) + a lack of transparency of the UI (what exactly happened, no proper warnings) + for sure some hasty clicking on the user side. Just own up to the problem and fix it but do not put up an attitude.

So basically you told Emby to store the artwork with your media.  Then you told it to overwrite this media.  Then you get mad because it's pointed out to you?

No one has been nasty or treated anyone "appalling" but has been friendly.

Emby is part media manager and if you don't want it to manage your media then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Drop back and think about it this way.  Even if you didn't have the images saved with the local media they would be stored elsewhere on the system. They would have still gotten over written when you choose the option to overwrite the data.

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.

hermann_x5

So basically you told Emby to store the artwork with your media.  Then you told it to overwrite this media.  Then you get mad because it's pointed out to you?

I am sorry, but no !  I did tell emby NOT to store the artwork with my media. I also provided the screenshots (they are in German, sorry for that). This is exactly what I have been saying the whole time. 

If I tell emby

1.) *not* to save the artwork with the media and I

2.) explicitely tell emby to store metadata in a non default directory,

I expect emby to not touch my artwork. If you can not see my point, then I am really sorry - maybe I am explaining it wrong (also for me English is a second language, so maybe that's the root cause for our misunderstanding)

And again: even if I want my artwork in my media folders to be overwritten, then  I expect this process only to take place if they are actually replaced and not simpley deleted !

No one has been nasty or treated anyone "appalling" but has been friendly.

Well, I see this differently: Condescending, defensive and not really helpful one-sentence replies are not "friendly" to me. But that may just be me. 

And again: I really respect your work and I generally like emby. I mostly use Kodi for in-house streaming but think about maybe using emby for my kid and for external streaming (and I also use it to stream music on the go). So, I already purchased a lifetime subscription without even using emby full, just because I think that maybe sometime I will use it and I respect and want to honor good software. In return I would just like to be treated with a little bit more respect and to have somebody listen to my - in my opinion - constructive suggestions. 

TylerV76

I am sorry, but no !  I did tell emby NOT to store the artwork with my media. I also provided the screenshots (they are in German, sorry for that). This is exactly what I have been saying the whole time. 

If I tell emby

1.) *not* to save the artwork with the media and I

2.) explicitely tell emby to store metadata in a non default directory,

I expect emby to not touch my artwork. If you can not see my point, then I am really sorry - maybe I am explaining it wrong (also for me English is a second language, so maybe that's the root cause for our misunderstanding)

And again: even if I want my artwork in my media folders to be overwritten, then  I expect this process only to take place if they are actually replaced and not simpley deleted !

I think you are missing what's actually happening here and making it a way bigger issue than it is. 

When Emby scans your folders for media, it is also scanning for artwork and nfo's, just like Kodi and most media browsers do. If it finds them then it will use those instead of pulling down new stuff. If it doesn't find any then it will grab stuff for you. 

When you checked "replace images" you told Emby that you didn't want the images anymore and you wanted Emby to grab new ones, hence the word "replace". Because you did NOT check to save artwork with your media, Emby found the new artwork and stored it in your cache folder. Had you checked to store artwork with media, it would have put it right where you wanted it and would have replaced your original images with new ones. 

So what I would suggest is you either a. don't hit "replace images" unless you want to replace them or b. elect to store artwork with the media so Kodi sees it also. Because what you are complaining about could have all been done the way you wanted it had you just checked the option to store artwork with media like you wanted.

As for being appalled, you're being way too sensitive. You came in and blamed the software for a user error but Luke helped diagnose what happened. His answer was direct and to the point. Thats not being condescending, thats someone who answers almost every post on here within minutes trying to appease the masses. 

Edited by TylerV76

tillithz

I think whats being missed is that it deleted and didnt put anything in its place. REPLACE means to put something in place of. Had it done that there could be little complaint. Well .... that and the issue in the first place that caused all this. 

fyi, theres far bigger issues then this one user asking emby to REPLACE images...

Edited by tillithz

Happy2Play

All local images and metadata will take priority over any setting you have chosen.   So Emby will always display what you have.  Then do to your setting Emby is told to replace this info so it deletes your information and saves new information in the location it is restricted to.  If this did not happen your local metadata and images could never be changed as your local data would always be read.

Edited by Happy2Play

TylerV76

I think whats being missed is that it deleted and didnt put anything in its place. REPLACE means to put something in place of. Had it done that there could be little complaint. Well .... that and the issue in the first place that caused all this. 

fyi, theres far bigger issues then this one user asking emby to REPLACE images...

It did replace them. Because he told Emby NOT to store them with his media, Emby placed them in the cache folder. If it just deleted them then there would be no artwork when viewing Emby. He just didn't tell Emby where he wanted them stored so it defaulted to the cache folder as its supposed to.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

To me the option does what it is designed to do.  But you want a 1:1 replacement option.  Where this option removal all images even if there is no replacement image available, and you get what the providers have to offer.

tillithz

Does it say delete or Replace? so if we are to understand it correctly.... replace is 1:1 delete isnt. For a person that obviously doesnt speak english as a first language you really should consider his point of view. but that all aside, the real problem here was the issue with 4.0.0.2 to begin with. the delete and replace is all syntax and really just added frustration to the problem caused by the rushed update. 

• Like 1

TylerV76

To me the option does what it is designed to do.  But you want a 1:1 replacement option.  Where this option removal all images even if there is no replacement image available, and you get what the providers have to offer.

They can get that 1:1 replacement option with the current settings. All they have to do is check the box to store artwork with the media. Its not like Emby will overwrite their original artwork, unless they chose to replace it. 

• Like 1

TylerV76

Does it say delete or Replace? so if we are to understand it correctly.... replace is 1:1 delete isnt. For a person that obviously doesnt speak english as a first language you really should consider his point of view. but that all aside, the real problem here was the issue with 4.0.0.2 to begin with. the delete and replace is all syntax and really just added frustration to the problem caused by the rushed update. 

I don't understand why this isn't making sense. It DID replace the artwork. The user told the system NOT to store it with his media though so it reverted to the default location within the cache folder.

Yes it deleted his artwork, because he told it to replace what he already had. No it didn't put it back in those folders because he told Emby not to.  

It was this way before the update.

Edited by TylerV76
  • Like 1

tillithz

whatever the terminology or function is, at the end of the day the update was to blame for not only this thread and issues but many others. without that update the op would not put his own interpretation to the test or make the mistake 

TylerV76

whatever the terminology or function is, at the end of the day the update was to blame for not only this thread and issues but many others. without that update the op would not put his own interpretation to the test or make the mistake 

The wording was EXACTLY the same in the previous version. He would have done the exact same thing had he chose to replace images and not allow it to store them where he wanted them. It has nothing to do with the update in any way shape or form. 

Hate to say it but the user is fully to blame for not allowing Emby to do what he wanted it to do. 

tillithz

I did the same thing AFTER it replaced images with screenshots. Im not complaining in my case because I understood the affects but Im not to happy that everything had to be redone yet again with the latest update. The frustration isnt this feature of replacing its the fact that something so blatantly obvious was broken, but the 4.0.0.2 update was sent out and took 7+ days to fix. 

can you really not see that but not for this update this entire thread, headache would not of been? maybe his frustration is directed at the feature instead of where it rightfully belongs but that doesnt invalidate the frustration.

Edited by tillithz

TylerV76

I did the same thing AFTER it replaced images with screenshots. Im not complaining in my case because I understood the affects but Im not to happy that everything had to be redone yet again with the latest update. The frustration isnt this feature of replacing its the fact that something so blatantly obvious was broken, but the 4.0.0.2 update was sent out and took 7+ days to fix. 

can you really not see that but not for this update this entire thread, headache would not of been?

7 days? Thats it? You weren't ever a Plex user were you? Those guys wait at least a year for a bug fix. 7 days is pretty darn good. Its not like it wasn't beta tested. There were something like 86 versions of the beta over the past 5 or so months. 

Edit: The replace function DID NOT CHANGE with 4.0. Its been that way for a long time. Stop blaming an update for a user error. He would have done the exact same thing on 3.5.3.

Edited by TylerV76
  • Like 2

Happy2Play

The issue it the re-indexing specific content types and users that don't store with media.  All the items get new itemids so all the existing media in the previous itemid folder is invalidated and has to be re-acquired just like chapter images as they existed in the folder that now gets deleted do to it no longer being a valid itemid folder. 

Every time there is a major change in the database or you have a database corruption and you do not save with media you will have this issue.

So all users that do not save metadata and images with media need to ensure they backup there entire Emby-Server folder to prevent issue like this as it will happen again in the future.

• Like 2