Question about replace existing images

hermann_x5

hermann_x5

After the new update the Poster for movies was missing from my library. I then started a scan and realized that Emby was deleting all my pictures (fanart, poster etc.) from my Movie Folders. Physically deleting them from the disk !! This is quite a catastrophe as I need these for kodi also....

I do not dare to run emby anymore :(

I'm guessing you probably did a scan and checked the box to replace all images. The server log will tell us that.

Emby server will not delete image files unless you tell it to.

Thanks !

hermann_x5

Hi Luke, thanks for having a look.. But that may well be, but why did emby delete the images when there were no new downloaded (effectively deleting the files and not "replacing" them). Further more i have set my emby metadata path to a different folder...

Depends if you have the option set to store this with the media or not.

Edit a library and check the setting for "Save artwork into media folders".

hermann_x5

In any case this behavior has massively changed from the last version and i now have no posters or fanart in emby and a lot of deleted files :( fortunatelly i had everything backed up. I would now really only like to know how to set emby up so that the library scan does not delete any original pictures and finishes a library scan and let's me get my old library back. Thanks for helping ! Also, i really like emby but it is NEVER good for a program to delete files that were not created by this program...

I have encountered this problem, too. All my image files in music directories are gone. I do check the box of replacing images, but all images are deleted rather than replacing them. I use undelete program to rescue them back luckly. If the option has this kind of risk, you may put some caution with the checkbox, I think. And I also think that if the files are not created by server, the server should not modify anything unless admin agrees.

Edited by cchsieh

No, this will not delete images. Only refreshing metadata with the option checked to replace all existing images.

For my server, after refreshing, the folder.jpg/cover.jpg in each directories are all missing. 

Edited by cchsieh

Happy2Play

For my server, after refreshing, the folder.jpg/cover.jpg in each directories are all missing. 

Please post the server logs. 

Only way I can get the server to delete any images if I tell the to "replace all existing images".  So if you have any custom images you acquired and uploaded that are not available from a provider site they will be lost as all images are removed and attempted to be re-fetched.

I don't know which log to provide you, and sorry for this. The server crash alwayas because some folder.jpg/cover.jpg he doesn't like, and generated over 100 log files now after 1/16. I may finally kick out bad images files, and the server seems stable now. That's another problem actually, the server need to catch every problem and never crash.

I don't want to regenerate the problem =.=

Edited by cchsieh

hermann_x5

Ok, I still do not have any clue what to do now to not have emby behave like this:

In my library I have NOT checked the option to store the media files locally !! So it should not touch my files in any case ! 5c42e57dc3c80_Savelocal.png

Also, I explicitly chose a seperate and different path for the metadata...In 3.x this always worked. Now emby is deleting my media files :(

5c42e5d7e6716_path.png

So, what exactly did I wrong, how can I fix this.

Btw.: every time I start the emby server now it wants to install VC++ 2015 - which does not work since I have a higher version already installed.

All very strange and unfortunately this effectively ruined my complete emby experience. For now, the server is unfortunately simply dead... :(

thanks for all help you can provide... 

No, this will not delete images. Only refreshing metadata with the option checked to replace all existing images.

Luke if you have local artwork in the folders and a NFO as well pointing to the local artwork shouldn't that be used instead of overwriting this from a 3rd party?

Or does it still pull down new images and then update the NFO?

We need a way to "lock" metadata to keep custom info from getting overwrote in the future.

hermann_x5

Luke, I am getting a little bit angry now. I paid quite a lot to use emby and whatever the reason (my user error or a problem with the new emby version), I do not dare to use emby right now as I fear my metadata will be deleted.

So, instead of getting defensive and tight lipped with one sentence answers I would really appreciate if you could give me concrete answers to the following questions:

1.) You say, if I chose "replace all existing images" this means, that even if I have chosen NOT to store my images in the media foldiers but centrally, that my images will be overwritten in the media-folders ? 

2.) Why does emby not download any metadata but deleted the files instead. I mean, even if I try to avoid the deletion by not selecting "replace all", how do I get my emby library back ? Did you find the reason in my logs ? (btw.: same thing happens on my Synology)

3.) Why is emby always asking to install VC++ 2015 at startup when a newer version is already installed ?

Again, I really liked emby and fully appreciate the immense complexity of this piece(s) of software and I gladly paid for a premiere lifetime subscription, I also get it that launching a new version can be stressfull (having developed a software myself that I distributed as Shareware back in the day, I get it, that such questions as mine can really be stressful.). Nevertheless, please realize that I have been always respectful and even concede that maybe all of this is my user error. I just want you to be also respectful to your paying customer and support me in order to get my emby library working again.

5c4485ea1d6b9_7FFDBB8710E74D478AC42D61A3

When I see this option "Replace existing images" at first, I think the server will scan my libraries and replace the images in Emby's metadata directory, and I don't think it will touch anything in my movie/music directories. The libraries are collected over years for me, and if anything wrong, I'll be crazy really. If the automation of the server may touch user's data, you may provide more policy info beside the options, and we'll avoid any results that we don't want.

I really love the faster server response and performance of Emby 4.x. Thanks anyway.

Edited by cchsieh

Don't forget it also depends on the setting you have for each library "Save artwork into media folders".
That determines with the files are stored or replaced when using the option above in your pic.

Take your time and manually backup every folder that Emby uses and you can always restore things back.  Should be no cause for alarm if you do that. 

Edited by cayars

Don't forget it also depends on the setting you have for each library "Save artwork into media folders".

That determines with the files are stored or replaced when using the option above in your pic.

All my libraries are use the same settings as the following from the beginning.

5c44966011704_C5FC904B548B4645B34F91C146

And if this option is related to "Replace existing images" and may replace any user's own images, the server program would check the both options and warn users what will happen, I think.

I have over 13TB library data, and I am lucky to restore some from backup, undelete some, manually get some missing back from internet.

Edited by cchsieh

It's self explanatory.  It's going to replace the images it's using (regardless where they are stored) if you check the option "Replace Existing Images".

"Save artwork into media folders" simply tells Emby where the images will be store that the option above will replace.

PS Like with every other computer you use, you should keep a working backup in case something happens and you need to restore.  That's just smart.

Edited by cayars

It's self explanatory.  It's going to replace the images it's using (regardless where they are stored) if you check the option "Replace Existing Images".

"Save artwork into media folders" simply tells Emby where the images will be store that the option above will replace.

I think it is. But I'm not the programmer of emby, I don't know what actually server program do, I can just guess when I check the option if not enough info. And now I guess wrong, but the result is my data are missing. So if the programmer would provide more policy info in the admin page, then I don't need to guess anything. Hope so.

Edited by cchsieh

hermann_x5

When I see this option "Replace existing images" at first, I think the server will scan my libraries and replace the images in Emby's metadata directory, and I don't think it will touch anything in my movie/music directories. The libraries are collected over years for me, and if anything wrong, I'll be crazy really. If the automation of the server may touch user's data, you may provide more policy info beside the options, and we'll avoid any results that we don't want.

Exactly what I thought...

hermann_x5

So, good news. The scan has now gone through and my library seems to be ok. Also, it seems that indeed 4.0 is faster than 3.x - thanks for that.

Still, I think that third party meta-data should *never* be deleted under no circumstances. As I said I had all abcked up, so no harm done - still it was quite a shock and also some unnecessary work.

Also, one point that still remains unsolved:

->3.) Why is emby always asking to install VC++ 2015 at startup when a newer version is already installed ?

Still, I think that third party meta-data should *never* be deleted under no circumstances. As I said I had all abcked up, so no harm done - still it was quite a shock and also some unnecessary work.

How do we know that these images are "3rd party"?

Even when you select an option that states it will "Replace Existing Images" you don't feel it should do that?