Trailers are very slow

htamas

htamas

After using MB2 for years, I recently upgraded to MB3 and generally speaking everything works very well. The only feature that seems to have been much better in MB2 is the way trailers played. In MB3, when a trailer is started, it goes into 'Buffering' and it takes a very long time to start playing, plus usually in the middle of a trailer, it goes back to 'Buffering' again. It's not fun this way :(

My media center is on a 2.4 GHz wireless N connection, my internet connection is plenty fast and streaming videos from my home server to the media center is no problem otherwise. Is this because the MB2 Trailer plugin downloaded and stored the trailers locally, while the new 'Trailers' feature performs a direct download every time a trailer is played?

What can I do to make watching trailers a better experience?

Thanks.

Edited by htamas

Correct - the old plug-in downloaded the trailers and then played them back.  The new one streams them directly.

The plug-in had to be completely re-written (like everything else) so we had to make some compromises.  It is just a matter of priorities and other items are of higher priority right now.  I'm sure, eventually, we will have more options for trailers.

smokey7722

I've noticed the same thing and at first thought there was an issue with my server.  All other network communication and internet streaming/activity works fine but the trailers through the plugin take forever to buffer and continually pause to rebuffer throughout their playing.

mariors44

hopefully this will get fixed soon, the trailer plugin now all has to do with internet speed. I too fined this plugin useless for me because not all of use can afford the top of the line download speed or not available in our area. I bought the trailer plugin when I was using MB2 and really enjoyed it, now it's free and the only benefit you get now is that will download local trailers for your movies. But It's not even close to what it was on MB2. 

dimitrik

+1 in favor of some sort of local caching.

Whether it's the old method of downloading all current trailers in the background or just something that downloads and saves a trailer once you select it for playback, either would be fine. Right now, the frustrating thing is that if you start a trailer and then rewind, it goes into buffering again.