What is the best Emby client for TV currently

vaise

vaise

If the roku thumbnails can be re-done for the android, I am sure many would like it......

• Like 1

vaise

So - spent a while with the shield and the new soundbar (Samsung HK-N950) - relating to my harmony 650 remote. 

I have CEC enabled on TV and Shield - I can control the Shield from the TV remote, and hence my Harmony remote also (as that has TV controls when in 'Shield activity). 

The only issue I had was power off/on.  When done from the harmony, it all went off, but when powering up from the harmony, the shield never came up - even though I can go into the Hisense TV HDMI and 'start it' - probably a timing thing.  In the end, I found the back button on the TV remote, and hence also the harmony 'wake' the Shield up - so I have a 2 second pause in the 'Watch Shield' activity then a press of the back, and it all fires up well. 

I also found if I press any button on the shield when it is all powered off, the TV powers up - but alas not the sound bar, and I spent a while on that before giving up.  The soundbar does not show on the TV CEC devices screen - even though the Shield does (which has the soundbar in between it) i.e Shield to SB HDMI1, SB ARC to TV ARC. 

So - the Harmony method it is.  I have been able to put away the Shield remote and the soundbar remote.

So, in summary, I think we are all good now - using the IR harmony and have full control of everything.  Bit of am Emby interface difference to get over.

One question for you experts - How can I change the order of the Shield 'channels' - i.e not the apps in the channels (I did that), but the channel horizontal lines themselves.  I don't use netflix, have hidden that, but its channel bar is higher tha for example the emby 'suggested' which it at the bottom.

For comparison with Roku - 

More button clicks to delete a recorded TV show after watching
Lack of thumbnails in FF/RW

Cost increase of 3-6x more depending on roku model 

The direct play of almost everything with Atmos / True HD sound makes up for the above however.

Games......  Not my cup of tea, Have a house full of Xbox 360's, One's, OneS's - for kids - they never did PC gaming.

Karl Blixt

I have both players. Nvidia Shield directly plays most of my media, but if you are a user of the apple ecosystem (iphone, ipad, imac ...), the next version of the Apple TV player may be interesting. I am a beta tester and the results are promising.

Hype! The current emby client for the appletv is actually horrifying... Like, it's better than the plex apple tv client, but that isn't saying a lot.

Is there a chance I could get a pice of the action? How do you sign up for the beta program? Does it have the new player?

CBers

Is there a chance I could get a pice of the action? How do you sign up for the beta program? Does it have the new player?

For Android TV/Shield ??

If so, then see here.

If Apple TV, then send a PM to @@ebr with your Apple TV ID etc.

Coxeroni

My 2 cents for you vaise:

Concerning the Harmony, either use CEC or the harmony. Not both together. The Harmony makes CEC obsolete and gives you full controll over when happens what. If you miss a button, you can always map that. Something is not turning on? Tune the activation sequence/command. In my oppinion, CEC and harmony are not playing nicely together, since both try to do the same thing more or less.

The Shield channels can be moved be going all the way left and "select" the respective channel to move it if I recall it correctly.

Edited by Coxeroni

WilhelmStroker

Concerning the Harmony, either use CEC or the harmony. Not both together. The Harmony makes CEC obsolete and gives you full controll over when happens what. If you miss a button, you can always map that. Something is not turning on? Tune the activation sequence/command. In my oppinion, CEC and harmony are not playing nicely together, since both try to do the same thing more or less.

The Shield channels can be moved be going all the way left and "select" the respective channel to move it if I recall it correctly.

Yup go all the way left and select to move, or go into settings -> Home screen (I think, not in front of the shield) and disable the channels you don't want to see on the home screen.

Sammy

Obviously they are not on Android. In my wife's words 'they are the best think about FF and RW'

If you never had a roku, then you would not be aware, but when you FF and RWD in emby on a roku, you actually see a 'thumbnail' image for each point - so when you are say... FF through ads on a recorded TV show, you can see when they end and literally it takes a second to go right to the show again.

I have switched all of my Roku's to ShieldTVs and therefore I have not seen this Improvement for Roku. Last time I used Roku this was not the case.

@@ebr any way to get this functionality onto ShieldTV?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

vaise

Thanks for the move info - done.

Re the harmony remote - I would love to control it all with that - but the Shield 2018 models don't have an IR receiver and I dont have a harmony hub.  Been using harmonies for 10+ years, latest one I have in 650.

Im all good now - I was going to buy a USB IR receiver for it - but dont need it now.  As long as the CEC-HDMI stuff stays working as it is.

vaise

Final question (I promise) for Shield owners that may be geo-unlocking so they can access channels from other countries.  I use smartDNS an my Roku's have a UK based account, and I have all the UK TV channel stuff (BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5), I moved to Australia from the UK and would prefer all my stuff 'in' the UK.  I have set up many roku's like this and I thought the Shield would be easier - seeing as I have control of IP addresses etc rather than router mods.

I have googled and googled and found lots of ideas, but noting works :

Set language to UK English

SmartDNS, even tried VPN.  I know they are working as store content is shown in Pounds not dollars.

Killed the google play store apps, flushed data and cache, many reboots

In the end I even created a UK google account while connected to UK VPN (UK adress, UK Credit Card), added that and removed the other and restarted.

I just cant see the UK content in the play store......

Thanks.

Edited by vaise

arrbee99

I never got that far, I just installed some apks for UK stuff. Haven't actually tried them yet though. I think I installed iPlayer, haven't logged in to it yet, ITV player (think I did, 90% sure I did, but its disappeared completely), Channel 5 installed but it only works in portrait mode and I haven't got past the first intro page as I haven't got any kind of mouse type thing attached so can't click to get to the next page. Don't think Channel 4 do a AndroidTV app.

There might be ways round some of this stuff if / when I try again, but so far I've not bothered much. It was much easier on a Fire TV (even in NZ).

I do have a DNS thingy but never tried all your UK account stuff.

arrbee99

Been having a google around but haven't got very far, quite a few people asking if its possible to get that stuff on the Shield. Stuff like this  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1059688/shield-tv/how-to-fool-bbcs-iplayer-to-see-shield-tv-as-a-different-device/ saying iPlayer should be easy (and ITV which is also officially available).

Maybe try a different DNS provider ? I have to have static routes added to my router according to mine just for my Shield.