What is the best Emby client for TV currently

vaise

I have a house full of Roku's, but after adding a homebridge gateway to my unraid NAS so all my smarthome devices can work with Siri (from the LAN), I now feel inclined to add an ATV4 to the mix so I can connect my homebridge stuff to the internet (I don't have a late edition Ipad to do this, so only ATV4 can do it). 

So I am after a comparison between the ATV4 and the NVidia Shield as Emby clients.  Does anyone have both and wish to offer a comparison of features/support ?  

vdatanet

I have both players. Nvidia Shield directly plays most of my media, but if you are a user of the apple ecosystem (iphone, ipad, imac ...), the next version of the Apple TV player may be interesting. I am a beta tester and the results are promising.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Shield has problems playing HDR cropped videos, Apple TV has little support for 4K video, maybe Doofus is right and the best player is HTPC, but I don't like HTPCs.

CBers

Shield has problems playing HDR cropped videos

It's not the Sheild, but the internal media player called EXOPLAYER.

Plex, MX Player and various other media players do HDR without any issue.

• Like 2

vdatanet

That's true!

My HTPC kicks shield's butt.

Needs a objective comparison. For Family Room entertainment with a broad selection of apps with 10 foot interface and remote control beyond Emby, HTPC fails.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It'd be nice if Emby used MX Player natively.

Guest asrequested

Needs a objective comparison. For Family Room entertainment with a broad selection of apps with 10 foot interface and remote control beyond Emby, HTPC fails.

Oh hell no! I have that setup, and it stomps all over my shield. So much so, that there really isn't a comparison. Live TV on the shield keeps pausing, the shield remote is actually the worse remote I've ever used. Theater has better mpeg2 support, and for that matter better support for everything. The list goes on.....

Of the 'little boxes' shield is about the best, but Android simply can't match Windows.

Guest asrequested

I would think that the main consideration that most people have, is simplicity. If you want a good device that you can just plug in and use, then Shield is the solution.

• Like 1

KarlDag

Plex uses exoplayer, and have had a ton of issues since moving to exoplayer 2.

OK- Thanks for the info - costs me money now as I feel I 'need' the homekit bridge capability of a ATV or the late model Ipad.......  so I guess I will stump up for a shield and an Ipad......

One other question - I will likley be adding atmos to my home theater.  If I add a shield, will this do atmos from emby ok ?

CBers

One other question - I will likley be adding atmos to my home theater. If I add a shield, will this do atmos from emby ok ?

Mine does, but my Shield is directed connected to my Atmos soundbar.

YMMV.

murky024

I just got the Shield for Christmas and I must say the device is fast and I like the Android TV deployment. I was using both Rokus and Fire Sticks and a Fire TV and I love the Shield with the exception of the remote. The remote is awful. It sends false button clicks and doesn't send actual button commands in occasion.

KarlDag

I just got the Shield for Christmas and I must say the device is fast and I like the Android TV deployment. I was using both Rokus and Fire Sticks and a Fire TV and I love the Shield with the exception of the remote. The remote is awful. It sends false button clicks and doesn't send actual button commands in occasion.

The FireTV replacement remotes work with it beautifully.

vaise

hhhhmmmm - seems like the shield does not have IR and hence my harmony remotes (650 etc) will not control it.

I dont want to have to replace the remote also.....

Do you all use the supplied shield remotes ?

I have 5 x 650 remotes in the house......  Getting long in the tooth but still work with everything we have.  If one gets misplaced, there is another not far away to keep stuff going until found.

I can imagine losing the single Shield remote down the lounge, with the grandson regularly.....