What is the best Emby client for TV currently

vaise

CBers

Do you all use the supplied shield remotes ?

I have 3 Shields, 2x2015 models and 1x 2017 model and yes, I use the supplied remotes all the time.

Don't like the 2017 remote, as it sleeps and can be stubborn to wake up, but the 2015 remote is much better.

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

I mostly use my logitech hub remote with my shield but occasionally the 2017 remote and yes it's stubborn to wake up and even after a few years I still manage to change volume by accident courtesy of the volume slider...

CBers

and even after a few years I still manage to change volume by accident courtesy of the volume slider...

You can "disable" that in the Shield settings, if you wanted to, by setting the volume to "fixed", IIRC.

• Like 1

hhhhmmmm - seems like the shield does not have IR and hence my harmony remotes (650 etc) will not control it.

You can add an IR receiver to the shield - I've got a USB FLIRC receiver plugged in which works well with a Harmony IR remote... 

WilhelmStroker

You can "disable" that in the Shield settings, if you wanted to, by setting the volume to "fixed", IIRC.

Ah cool, I'll have a look, thanks!

vaise

OK - add the IR receiver to the shopping list........  However my amp just went pop - so looks like money has to go that way first.....

WilhelmStroker

You can add an IR receiver to the shield - I've got a USB FLIRC receiver plugged in which works well with a Harmony IR remote...

Yup FLIRC works really well with the IR remotes, I had one when I still had my Ouya...

oh bugger :(

Shield also does HDMI-CEC - so I can also control the basic functions on the shield (play / pause / dpad etc) from either the amp remote or the TV remote. Only button that's a 'pain' is home - as the TV home button starts android TV on the telly not passing it through. I've not really investigated much to see if another button could be mapped though, or via the amp remote... 

pir8radio

I know this has pretty much already been answered... Just throwing my card in the hat...    I use all FireTv 4k Sticks on my "regular" TV's and I have a shield on my main theater TV.   I'm not ballin' out of control like you guys with 10 shields all over the place....    :)      the 4k sticks work surprisingly well I would compare their gui/navigation speed to the shield.  It's a good device, but if you have a good 4k TV or HD projector and surround you might as well get a shield.  As others have said the FLIRC works with it, and so does the Harmony hub.

murky024

The FireTV replacement remotes work with it beautifully.

Thanks for this heads up... I was not able to get the newer remotes (with Alexa built in) but I did have an old Fire TV laying around that worked.

KarlDag

Thanks for this heads up... I was not able to get the newer remotes (with Alexa built in) but I did have an old Fire TV laying around that worked.

Good!

I use one of the early models, works perfectly. Just ordered one of the newer model with volume controls for another shield I have, send it works perfectly to. Can't wait to see if the Alexa button gets remapped to Google assistant, that would be awesome.

I have 3 2015 Shields, only been using the included controllers and that one FireTV remote... Works well, but whenever the in-laws or babysitter are home it's an issue. Hoping this fixes it.

Sammy

Except when using Bluetooth Soundbars.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy

I know this has pretty much already been answered... Just throwing my card in the hat... I use all FireTv 4k Sticks on my "regular" TV's and I have a shield on my main theater TV. I'm not ballin' out of control like you guys with 10 shields all over the place.... :) the 4k sticks work surprisingly well I would compare their gui/navigation speed to the shield. It's a good device, but if you have a good 4k TV or HD projector and surround you might as well get a shield. As others have said the FLIRC works with it, and so does the Harmony hub.

FireTV GUI sucks compared to ShieldTV Experience 7.2 because it is completely front loaded with Amazon content and adds; not to mention the crappy layout.

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

FireTV GUI sucks compared to ShieldTV Experience 7.2 because it is completely front loaded with Amazon content and adds; not to mention the crappy layout.

Yup I had a firestick, tried it for a bit and sold it instantly due to amazon forcing their ads and content in your face. Same with a fire tablet and show dock..
  • Like 1

vdatanet

But when an application uses surround sound and the volume is fixed, it alerts that the sound is controlled by the receiver. Can this alert be disabled?

CBers

But when an application uses surround sound and the volume is fixed, it alerts that the sound is controlled by the receiver. Can this alert be disabled?

I've only ever seen that happen with Emby.

WilhelmStroker

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1918937-nvidia-shield-android-tv-set-top-box-298.html#post57291430

I posted this and a few days later nVidia contacted me to let me know that they opened a ticket. I've submitted logs and am awaiting a response.

The one thing I really like about the Shield is how well supported it still is. Plenty of updates since I first got it and they have decent support in the forums by employees too. 

pir8radio

True, and that's why I dropped FTV a long time ago... But I'm back and just dealing with it...  they have some of the most stable video hardware for the price that I have came across...  Tried MiBox's they were good until an update made video difficult..   FTV has been good to me, decent hardware, they do plenty of testing before pushing updates, excellent video support..  I couldn't tell you what's on the FTV home page we are so used to hitting down twice then enter to go into emby....

Edited by pir8radio

clarkss12

This is the remote that I am using for my Nvidia, and it works much better (less than $10 USD).  That stock remote going to sleep is a real pain for me.

• Like 1

vaise

This is the remote that I am using for my Nvidia, and it works much better (less than $10 USD).  That stock remote going to sleep is a real pain for me.

Can you pair two of these at same time?

One for losing down the lounge and one as a spare when that happens ?

clarkss12

Can you pair two of these at same time?

One for losing down the lounge and one as a spare when that happens ?

I am using the one with the RF dongle, in conjunction with the  stock Bluetooth remote.

CBers

This is the remote that I am using for my Nvidia, and it works much better (less than $10 USD). That stock remote going to sleep is a real pain for me.

Where can you buy them from please?