I just want to double-check some things I'm reading here, please jump in if you think I'm missing something.
- I'm on 22.214.171.124, latest public
- This is in a VM and I'm planning on getting a GPU to pass-through via VT-d to it for Hardware Acceleration for Decode & Encode.
- Proxmox VE (Linux KVM) is my hypervisor, Bare metal server target is Dell r720. AFAIK VT-d and IOMMU should 100% work here.
- According to FFMPEG docs, AMD GPUs that are GCN 4.0 can do H.265 10-bit video (which I care about) : https://trac.ffmpeg..../Hardware/VAAPI
- According to more FFMPEG docs, VAAPI can effectively do all the Hardware Acceleration for Decode/Encode that I _could_ care about (check first AND second table) : https://trac.ffmpeg....ki/HWAccelIntro
- These are AMD GCN 4.0 starting cards : https://en.wikipedia...deon_400_series
- Looks like an AMD R5 430 GPU can be had for ~$35 USD (before shipping, etc).
- I suspect I would need to enable the AMDGPU driver in the guest OS in the VM (which is easy as it is Ubuntu).
Am I barking up the right tree here? I have plenty of CPU, but it seems like passing a GPU through to the VM will make the environment more responsive, in terms of, command issued to play video, time until first frame of video & audio is played.