every day 200+ updates

laola

Since I am using Emby for Kosi, I was always wondering about the huge numer of updates every day when I am turning on the box. (min. 250 each day - my libary has approx. 800 videos, 150 TV shows and a few hundred CDs). I already disabled the automatic update of the metadata every xy days without success. Then I thought it might be related because of using the beta kodi add-on and the released server. However, I switched to the beta server (as of today 3.6.0.79) without any change in the behaviour.

In general it wouldn't border me, but for my clients running on Android or 905X, it takes 1-2 minutes until all updates are made - expecially when you want to continue watching a TV show, it is somehow annoying. Any ideas how to prevent such amount of updates every day ?

Thanks

laola

good idea :-)

Btw - the update took 6-7 minutes. Overnight I added 4 new videos - all the videos mentioned in the log file weren't recently viewed/touched/modified

01_KODI.log

Edited by laola

Angelblue05

@@laola

If you are getting updates for content you have not interacted with, then I suggest you have a look at your server settings. The add-on itself does not generate those updates, the server does. You just need to find out why and correct this, then you'll stop getting so many updates.

First thing, it seems to only be updating your movies, so that's where you should start looking. If you use nfos, check your nfo metadata settings in Emby. Ensure save user sync, same image path are disabled. If you use a third party, ensure the nfos are not constantly modified daily (check the modified date of the files for your movies). If they are always updated, the server will continue to generate update events daily.

Let me know if you do not use nfos, so we can dig deeper into this. You are seeing this because Emby for Kodi syncs content to your kodi database, while other apps will simply display your Emby content, but it is still a server related issue, not an add-on one. Hope this helps :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

@@Angelblue05 - thanks for your suggestions. I also thought that the server is the root cause and not the add-on. I checked your suggestions and noticed that  "save user sync" and "same image path" have been enabled. So I followed your suggestion and disabled both options. I don't use any other third party prog for the NFOs.

I'll keep you updated about the results.

• Like 1

sualfred

Please check the folders of the movies that are in the logs. Do you have subtitles there? I remember an old server issue that was caused by some subtitles. In my case I had external .vob subtitles placed in the folders and for some reasons that triggered Emby to think the movie was updated on each single library scan. After I deleted the subs everything was fine.

Edited by sualfred

@sualfrad - there aren't any subtitels and there are basically the same amount of jpg, nfo etc files as in other movie folders where no updates are made. However, disabling the daily libary scan eliminates the huge amount of updates. But I am not sure that this is the puropse (having a huge amount of updates after a libary scan). 

laola

sualfred

Strange, because as far as I can see it alwas process the same movies. Example:

08:38:59.631 T:11228  NOTICE: EMBY.objects.movies -> UPDATE movie [1/416/416] 80635: Jack Reacher: Kein Weg zurück
08:48:25.857 T:8400 NOTICE: EMBY.objects.movies -> UPDATE movie [1/416/416] 80635: Jack Reacher: Kein Weg zurück
13:39:30.650 T:16028  NOTICE: EMBY.objects.movies -> UPDATE movie [1/416/416] 80635: Jack Reacher: Kein Weg zurück
So it's not Kodi related. You should upload server logs for @@Luke

sualfred

I suggest you to run a library scan and upload the server log.

And then do it again to capture the duplicated updated items.

Just add it here to keep track of the issue. @@Luke will move the thread if required or he will let you know if he needs further informations.

• 2 weeks later...
DarWun

@@laola This is a shot in the dark, but is your media library by any chance located on a Synology NAS? I have a Synology NAS, and when Emby for Kodi starts I frequently see a large number of new items (500+) being synced to the library even though no new media files have been added to my collection. It doesn't take long for the scan to complete, so I haven't spent any time trying to determine what is triggering the update. I suspect it might be a result of @eaDIR folders being created and updated in every single media folder during indexing. They are not visible when viewing the library with an SMB client. The creation of these folders is a Synology annoyance that so far I haven't found a reliable way of preventing. 

• Like 1

@@laola This is a shot in the dark, but is your media library by any chance located on a Synology NAS? I have a Synology NAS, and when Emby for Kodi starts I frequently see a large number of new items (500+) being synced to the library even though no new media files have been added to my collection. It doesn't take long for the scan to complete, so I haven't spent any time trying to determine what is triggering the update. I suspect it might be a result of @eaDIR folders being created and updated in every single media folder during indexing. They are not visible when viewing the library with an SMB client. The creation of these folders is a Synology annoyance that so far I haven't found a reliable way of preventing. 

@@DarWun,

yes, the libaries are locatewd on a Synology NAS. I wouldn't mind either on the updates when they will be fast. However, on a CoreELEC or Android device, these updates are taking several minutes . which is annoying when you would like to continue on watching... 

Angelblue05

@@laola This is a shot in the dark, but is your media library by any chance located on a Synology NAS? I have a Synology NAS, and when Emby for Kodi starts I frequently see a large number of new items (500+) being synced to the library even though no new media files have been added to my collection. It doesn't take long for the scan to complete, so I haven't spent any time trying to determine what is triggering the update. I suspect it might be a result of @eaDIR folders being created and updated in every single media folder during indexing. They are not visible when viewing the library with an SMB client. The creation of these folders is a Synology annoyance that so far I haven't found a reliable way of preventing.

@@Luke

Can something be done?