Plex to Emby... (how did it go?)

skidmarks

Happy2Play

happy to help with working out the cause of the network saturation though.

Sorry I thought we where still here.

and as i said in my most recent reply

emby hasn't been restarted since it was doing that last night, so if there is a log sitting somewhere then i'll happily provide it, but i don't want to restart emby again for it saturday the network port again.

Chyron

when i read that emby supported the -deletescene tag then i assumed it would work "as is", didn't know it also required the movie name to be in the file name as well.

It doesn't require that, though.

Chyron

This was an issue that I brought up with Emby a while back. I first looked at Emby after the messes about Plex updating their privacy policy and adding Plex News.

But I digress. I recall Emby telling me they could look into supporting inline extras (that is, extras stored in the same folder as the feature film) in the same manner as Plex. The wiki article on Movie Extra naming doesn't say anything about that, so I can't really say what was done about it.

However, Plex does support extras both using "extraname-deleted.m4v" and "deleted scenes/extraname.m4v". Emby definitely supports the latter (folder structure for extras) the exact same way Plex does.

So, if this really is a deal breaker, I suppose your options are:

1. Ask the Emby devs to support the inline file-naming scheme that Plex does.
  2. or Change your extras to use the mentioned folder structure.

Of course, there also is the option to just not use Emby, but Emby really does have some really good strong points that Plex is sorely lacking in---like stable apps, sync that doesn't break, and devs who listen to their users.

Seriously. The devs who are responding to you on here are the people who actually design and program the software itself. They're not middle-management like someone like MovieFan.Plex might be, who could respond to you but ultimately have no control over any direction the software takes. Your voice makes a difference here, and if something is important to you, regularly bug them about it.

Edited by chyron8472

i'd rather not have to change my existing file structure if i didn't have to, to be honest.

i've got a rather large and mature plex library.

and i may be in a minority here, but i prefer the layout and "look and feel" of the plex android tv app compared to the emby android tv app. :)

skidmarks

Actually we should support this structure as well. I would suggest trying it out on 3.6. Thanks !

I have tested this in 4.0.1 (using two movies in a movies library).

/movies

/movie name (year) [format]

file-behindthescenes

file--deleted

file--featurette

file--interview

file--scene

file--short

file--trailer

Unfortunately emby does not recognize this.  Instead it adds any extras as a separate file into the library.  Glad i tested this now, so i can change a boat load of extras before i add the full library!

I just checked one last thing to make sure this post is accurate.  It DOES recognize movie name-trailer!  (edited from file name-trailer)

Edited by skidmarks

Yes I think you are right, and my memory was wrong about that. It's on the to do list to look at. Thanks.

• Like 1

skidmarks

Yes I think you are right, and my memory was wrong about that. It's on the to do list to look at. Thanks.

It happens and no big deal here!  I'll be doing some structure changes to extras...

Thanks Luke!

Happy2Play

I have tested this in 4.0.1 (using two movies in a movies library).

/movies

/movie name (year) [format]

file-behindthescenes

file--deleted

file--featurette

file--interview

file--scene

file--short

file--trailer

Unfortunately emby does not recognize this.  Instead it adds any extras as a separate file into the library.  Glad i tested this now, so i can change a boat load of extras before i add the full library!

I just checked one last thing to make sure this post is accurate.  It DOES recognize file name-trailer!

When you say "name-trailer", name means "movie name-trailer" correct? 

Everything in the Movie folder needs to have "movie name-anything", but these items will then be recognized by mutli-version and be available in the drop-down box.  As shown here.

Don't know how Plex will treat them but you can prefix them with moviename "moviename-file-behindthescenes".  But overall naming scheme applies as folder and moviename have to match.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

skidmarks

Yes...  movie name-trailer.  It shows up in the right place (click on trailers).  Was definitely my local trailer.  For others knowledge, my movie name and trailer name are identical except adding -trailer to the end.

I dont really think extras get much love on my server, so having it in the drop down might be ok and save me a lot of time (i can bulk rename them).

I'm gonna go throw a couple of movies in a library and test this out:  moviename-file-behindthescenes

(I'll edit that post to avoid confusion from others)

Thanks!

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks

Solution found... 

When you say "name-trailer", name means "movie name-trailer" correct? 

Everything in the Movie folder needs to have "movie name-anything", but these items will then be recognized by mutli-version and be available in the drop-down box.  As shown here.

Don't know how Plex will treat them but you can prefix them with moviename "moviename-file-behindthescenes".  But overall naming scheme applies as folder and moviename have to match.

Plex isn't happy, but that isn't the end game here.  Changed my extras (in one move folder) as suggested.  They are not appearing in the drop down box, but show up under the actors.  Works for me!

BUT now i see a new issue, duplicate images...

5c3d3d76c78c8_Capture2.jpg

My other test movie had even more.  Is this basically telling me i need to go ahead and delete all my original artwork?  Are they being ignored?  I do not see any place in the server to use locally stored data.  When you mentioned that every thing needed to have the movie name in front of it i wasn't thinking it would include images too.

Edited by skidmarks