Plex to Emby... (how did it go?)

skidmarks

BAlGaInTl

@@xterminal

I'm not good at reading them... but the fine folks here will probably ask for a copy of the logs from the apps that can't connect:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Are you using Emby Connect?  Or are you rolling your own connectivity solution?

Edited by BAlGaInTl

KarlDag

1. Since I've noticed a bunch of people mentioning this as a metric: between 30 and 40 percent of my library doesn't auto-match correctly. I rush to add I am very used to this (they didn't match in Plex, either, so I'm not considering this a negative). In a lot of cases it's shorts, things that don't exist on IMDB, etc., so I don't expect them to match--and indeed, one of the other reasons I spent a while looking for a Plex replacement was that due to the lack of external metadata, every time I had to reload the database, recover from a hard drive crash, whatever, I had to tell Plex YET AGAIN that 1941 (1941) is not 1941 (1979), and I'm greatly looking forward to being done with that forevermore. Point: it's a draw atm, but I expect Emby to win as time goes on (I haven't had to reload the data yet).

If you look at the options, you can have Emby store all metadata in NFO files (and images, I think) in the media folders directly. Whenever you have to rebuild, you can have it use that same metadata, so theoretically everything should end up being the same.

Guest xterminal

If you look at the options, you can have Emby store all metadata in NFO files (and images, I think) in the media folders directly. Whenever you have to rebuild, you can have it use that same metadata, so theoretically everything should end up being the same.

Yep--it's one of the features I'm most excited about.

Guest xterminal

@@xterminal

I'm not good at reading them... but the fine folks here will probably ask for a copy of the logs from the apps that can't connect:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Are you using Emby Connect?  Or are you rolling your own connectivity solution?

I'm using Connect on the W10 PC. For the non-working Roku, I'm unsure, and for the Android, since I've never had any problems connecting, I've never dug into how it connects.

Been gathering data for a "yet another connection problem" post for a bit, getting screenshots and the like. Logs will definitely help, thanks. 

i switched from Plex to Emby 2 days ago, still setting up libraries with mis-matched content (naming but tha'ts my issue) overal i'm impressed, much pretier client interfaces and customization. Plus i had a few files HEVC that would not play on xbox one plex , but work with no issues on Emby... So i'm happy

I'm just trying to figure out how to use the convert so i can convert my library and have remote users stream those files as to not trasncode anything

• Like 1

jdewoody71

I've been using Plex for 5 years. I've truly enjoyed how they handle movies and TV shows and accessing my library from wherever I go. However, they've never given music the love it deserves and it appears the never will. After several times of having to manually clean up Plex's horrid detection of my well maintained collection of over 80K MP3s after Plex reinstalls, I think I'm done with trying to use it for music. I currently use JRiver Media Center for music, I haven't found an app that can touch it in that regard and it's the only reason I still have it. 

I stumbled across Emby last week, thought I'd give it a shot and I'm running it in parallel with my Plex server. So far, I like the way Emby handles movies, TV shows and Anime buy I can't say it is any better or worse that Plex in that regard.

Regarding music, I have to say my experience with this program is worse than Plex. Things are jumbled and for some reason it keeps grouping artists together based on a song title that they share with other artists. I've done several rescans of my library (which takes 3 days each time) and it never does any better. My library is organized in this manner:

Genre

Artist

Album

Disc 1 (if applicable)

Artist - Song Title.mp3

If I only have a single song or two by an Artist then it is:

Genre

Artist - Song Title.mp3

Track numbers, disc numbers, genre and album art are also maintained withing the MP3 tag itself.

Another thing I find is it will not identify concerts at all. I even went so far as putting in the title and the ID of several only for it to give me no results. For example, If I search for "Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott" and put in the themoviedb ID 67037, I get zero results, yet, here it is - https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/67037-jeff-beck-performing-this-week-live-at-ronnie-scotts?language=en-US

So, I'm still on the fence. If someone has some suggestion that might help, I'd be glad to give them as shot. Thanks for reading  :)

Edited by jdewoody71

jdewoody71

Hi, what version of Emby Server did you install?

Version 3.5.3.0

Edited by jdewoody71

Ok, music should be improved with the upcoming 3.6 release.

In regards to your movie search, if you entered the movie db id, then you don't need to enter the name. Try removing that.

Dibbes

AFAIK you can only save to .nfo, but Emby doesn't read from it anymore. It used to a few years back, but, if I recall properly, this was deprecated due to too many applications writing to these .nfo files.

@@ebr could tell you more about this...

KarlDag

AFAIK you can only save to .nfo, but Emby doesn't read from it anymore. It used to a few years back, but, if I recall properly, this was deprecated due to too many applications writing to these .nfo files.

@@ebr could tell you more about this...

Are you sure? There's a per library setting for metadata readers...c7bd193a17726a85348a40f848b2081f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dibbes

we do read nfo files, just not image urls stored within them.

There were a few more things not read from NFOs though, right? I can't find it now, but I remember having a chat with ebr about this a few years back.

Edited by Dibbes

jdewoody71

Ok, music should be improved with the upcoming 3.6 release.

In regards to your movie search, if you entered the movie db id, then you don't need to enter the name. Try removing that.

I've tried the search multiple ways, including the way you suggest with the same results.

jdewoody71

Ok, i just tested that moviedb, and it worked just fine and showed a result as expected. Best thing to do is see how to report a problem. thanks !

I thought about it some more and had an idea, so I removed my Concerts library, readded it as a Movie collection instead of a Music Video collection and it worked this time. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the feedback. You could have also enabled the MovieDb metadata provider for your music video library.

I'm a long term, lifetime pass, Plex user who has been 'playing' with Emby for about a week (and this is my first post so "Hi").

There are three reasons for me being here.

• The first is probably a bit daft but it irritates me. I'm running three Plex servers - a primary and two back-ups that allow for failure of the Plex server PC and our primary NAS when I'm away from home. On both the Windows PC and XBox clients I could find no way to limit the libraries shown to those of the primary server, or put those libraries at the front of the list, so every time we wanted to watch something it was a long scroll to the right to find the primary server libraries as we have several libraries and they are replicated on each server.
  • Second, my Wife uses Plex on her iPad and, despite having 'Prefer local content' checked her iPad always tries to connect to the server if there is a WiFi signal (which is a PITA when commuting).
  • Lastly, IME the Plex Windows client has lip sync issues. The files play properly on XBox and FireTV but the audio lags behind when using the Windows client.

These prompted me to install Emby Server 3.5.3.0 on our HTPC to give it a spin. I was a bit disgruntled that the only way I could see more than a minute of video with Emby seemed to be to sign up for Emby Premier (maybe I set it up incorrectly?). I'd have liked to try it out properly before parting with money but I guess $5 for a trial month isn't a lot and, so far, my experience has been quite good but there have been a few issues.

• After pausing and restarting a video a few times on the Windows client the sound was replaced by loud white noise (this has happened twice using separate files). On both occasions the only solution seemed to be to exit and restart the client. There is nothing wrong with the files which played perfectly in Plex, and in Emby once it had been restarted.
  • I'm struggling to get my watched status from Plex using the Trakt plugin. I have a strong suspicion this is user error but I haven't figured out what I've done wrong yet. This is a show stopper for me so I need to sort it out. I'll post a query in the appropriate forum.
  • I'd like my Films (Movie) library to show me both films and collections in collating sequence, e.g. The 13th Wave, 16 Blocks. 28 Days/Weeks later Collection, 30 Days of Night Collection, 99 Homes, 300 Collection and so on. At the moment I can see a list of films or a list of collections and I don't know whether this is just because I haven't figured it out yet or that's WAD.

On the plus side Emby seems much faster, I can select the server and thus only see the libraries I want, my Wife finds the IOS client easy to use and it seems to use the local version by default if it exists. I'm also impressed by the level of participation on the forum by Emby mods and devs.

Kevin

Edited by kevinw

Thanks for the feedback ! If you're on 3.5.3 and you think Emby is fast, wait until you try the upcoming 3.6 release :)

The beta has changed that to move the setting directly to the movies list screen. The wiki is based on the stable release.

Chyron

The "Group movies into Collections" setting in the dashboard is there if you're using server v3.5.3 and access your server directly via the web client. I myself asked this question in a different thread, and it turned out I wasn't seeing it because I was using Emby Connect at the time.

• Like 2

I was hoping to answer kevinw's last point about displaying collections, by, if I'm correct, mentioning the 'Group movies into Collections' tickbox mentioned in the wiki  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections but am buggered if I can actually find it anywhere - does anyone else know ?

Thanks. I saw that mentioned when I was looking for a solution but I'm not using the beta version and I couldn't find it. I'm using Emby Connect so I'll try direct access. thanks chyron8472.

[Later] That works perfectly, thank you both.

Kevin

Edited by kevinw
  • Like 1