Some music not showing up

jhs39

jhs39

Some of the albums in my music artist folders don't show up.  I click on the artist and there will be a bio and picture but it shows no albums available even though there are one or more albums in the artist folder.  Sometimes when I re-do the tags with MP3 tag the album will show up--other times it makes no difference and I still can't access the music through Media Browser.  Is there something specific I need to do so my music files will show up where I want and I can play them?

Edited by jhs39

FrostByte

Make sure the id tags in the audio files that aren't working match exactly what's in musicbrainz for both artist and album artist, then doing another scan of my library will usually do the trick for me.  On some rare occasions I have to paste the artist's musicbrainz id, into the web editor also and then hit the save and refresh button above followed by another scan.  If there is a special character in the name (i.e. k.d. lang) then you might have to also fix the name in the editor along with the musicbrainz id.

you don't need musicbrainz id's just to get your music to show up. you just need to be using a supported folder structure. so if you could show some examples that'd be helpful. thanks.

FrostByte

I've only had a few instances where music wasn't showing up at all and that was because there was a special character in the artist name and mb didn't get the metadata correct and didn't attach the albums to the artist.  Can you give us an example of the folder structure of the albums not detected first like Luke mentioned.  That is probably the best place to start figuring this out like he said

The recommended structure can be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki/Library-Structure

jhs39

I figured out what the problem was.  The artist is Fay Ray.  At some point Media Browser changed the meta-data for the album to the artist Fay Wray instead, so the album didn't show up anymore in my Fay Ray artist folder.  I have other albums that don't show up in their artists folders as well--my Pretenders box set does not show up in the Pretenders artist folder.  I have to find it by album instead of artist if I want to listen to it.  All of the track tags appear to be fine.      

FrostByte

Sounds good.  Don't believe mediabrowser ever changed anything like that on me before.  I have a ton of music and it was a bit of work getting everything right, but normally it was an issue with my id tags didn't match what is in the database. 

By chance did you put [boxset] on your Pretenders folder name?  For some reason when I did that on my music it no longer showed under my artists name either and I had to search for it to find it.  It was almost like mediabrowser thought it was a movie collection and displayed it in the movie collections instead.  So I don't use that on music folders any more.

jhs39

I spent an hour and a half trying to get The Pretenders box set to show up in my artist folder but was not successful.  I found that the MusicBrainz Artist ID and AudioDB Artist ID codes were different for the artist folder and the album discs, which is bizarre since it's The Pretenders and not some obscure group.  I figured that was the problem.  I verified which were the correct tags and made sure everything matched between artist folder and albums--and it still didn't show up.  When I go to the artist page on my computer it shows I have no Pretenders albums but if I hit the play button on the screen it starts playing the first song from the first disc.  If I try playing The Pretenders box set on my Roku I have to do it by searching through albums--if I click on my Pretenders artist folder it never finds anything.

My folder structure is very simple: music/artist/album.

My music that Media Browser can find in the artist folders and the music it can't find are all saved with identical folder structures, so that isn't an issue.  I have had some albums show up in the artist folder when I re-did the id-tags with Mp3tag but that's only worked 60% of the time.  It did not work with The Pretenders box set.

I've had problems with Media Browser screwing up my meta-data for movies when they did a server update.  I've had to do a find to identify some movies 3 times because the info keeps getting erased after server updates.  Presumably that's what happened with Fay Ray because it was good then it was gone and I didn't change anything. 

Edited by jhs39

ginjaninja

Check with dashboard. clients esp roku have some outstanding challenges with music.

Check from artists and album artists view in dashboard, there can be an issue with artists with 'the' in name.

Check the artist and album artist tag for albums which dont show up is exact same as the object you enter on dashboard. Esp. With artists with a 'the'.

Check that you dont have disc subfolders in your boxset. Mb3 doesnt support that.

Note mbz lists pretenders as 'pretenders' with an alias for 'the pretenders'. I go with the primary name as picard does for tags and filesystem naming convention.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

jhs39

They show up as The Pretenders in album artists and Pretenders in artists but Media Browser won't let me change either--when I do it just reverts back to the original setting again. 

FrostByte

Did you change your audio files artist and album artist id tags also?  If you do that and rescan it should fix it, usually that works for me

jhs39

Yes I previously did that.  The artist and album artist tags match but one still says Pretenders, the other The Pretenders.  The artist folder shows no music. 

ginjaninja

They show up as The Pretenders in album artists and Pretenders in artists but Media Browser won't let me change either--when I do it just reverts back to the original setting again.

I think changing music names in mb3 metadata editor is red herring...as data is derived from id3 tags...

do you know why 1 has the prefix. It seems that you have an album artist and artist different. Does your content show up under either.?

I would

1. Delete all local stored xml in and around (the) pretenders. Including in ibn\artists.

2. Check all tags, look also for entries with multiple artists.

3. Rescan library.

I think mb3 has been confused by the editing in dasboard..all music editing should be done in embedded tags. Eg using mp3tag....only use mb3 dashboard to manually assign an mbzid, this shld be rare event when tags are correct.

FrostByte

If you fixed your tags then also look in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists   I believe I deleted "The Pretenders" folder and left Pretenders as that is the one mbz wanted and maybe another refresh.  I seem to recall having the same issue with the artist before.  If you can't find it then it should be listed when you hit the edit button for the artist also

Edited by FrostByte

ginjaninja

There's only a folder for The Pretenders, only Pretenders.

. Switch off mb3.

Delete all folders with pretender in text in ibn\artists . Delete any xml in local collection in and around pretender. Make sure all your tags are correct. Start mb3/Rescan.

• Like 1

jhs39

I did that but it didn't create a new XML file for Pretenders after the scan.  I then deleted Pretenders folder from my media library altogether and did another mbs/Rescan.  After the scan was complete I added Pretenders folder back to library and did another scan.  After that Pretenders showed up correctly with the Pirate Radio box set.   :D

Thanks for everyone's help.