Music Video Scraper

PoBear

I'm testing this individual folder business. Crap! Just crap! When there's no IMVDB entry for it, it just picks the closest one it thinks it is. Which is wrong! As I said before, it doesn't work. This is so annoying! I have videos that are unreleased cover versions. Not official videos. But the server is just calling them whatever it feels like. If there isn't an exact match to artist folder name and the video file name, it should do nothing and let us know there wasn't an exact match. Most of my videos probably won't have IMVDB IDs. 

This is how all of the metadata providers have always worked because it is how the external search engines work.  They never return nothing and an "exact" match is an impossible standard.  If your situation is that your items will probably not have accurate internet metadata, then you simply need to turn off the fetching of that data for them.

Also, I'll just say that the tone of your posts is not a huge motivator for us to help you but we are still doing our best to do so.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I've disabled it. Even doing searches on it's site, I find that they have a very small database. It's of no use to me.

This is how all of the metadata providers have always worked because it is how the external search engines work.  They never return nothing and an "exact" match is an impossible standard.  

I'm sorry but my experience with scrapers is exactly the opposite of this.

Like Doofus I have a high percentage of videos that do not have an entry on IMVDB and it is simply not acceptable to create a library entry for a song with a different name and a completely different artist, it's even worse when it does this for videos that are in IMVDB. If the provider is returning bad information then it wouldn't take more than a couple of lines of code in the plugin to double check the results.

Doofus - uninstall the IMVDB in Settings/plugins

Double checking the results is not as simple as it sounds. That will lead accidental discarding of valid results. We've tried it in the past and it hasn't gone very well, so that is why we use the provider search results as is.

CBers

Screw it! I just won't use emby for music videos. I'll find something else.

Well, I've been bleating about this for a long time. And it's gotten worse, to the point that today I find that all of my customization has all gone. I spent a lot of time looking for images that I wanted. I even altered some of the images to my liking. And now it's all gone. I'm just not going to fight it, anymore. It's nothing like I want it to be, so I have no choice but to bail out, and look for something else. I'm going to look for a music player that will give something closer to what I want. So much for having all my media in one place :(

Have you tried Plex ?

Guest asrequested

Double checking the results is not as simple as it sounds. That will lead accidental discarding of valid results. We've tried it in the past and it hasn't gone very well, so that is why we use the provider search results as is.

Yeah, I get it.

Apologies for my earlier rants. It's just very frustrating to have to manually correct so many videos. It almost needs to be disabled as the default.

Apologies in advance. I have to say that I am really struggling with your views on this.

I would estimate that the IMBDB plugin mislabelled at least 50% of my library, probably a 1000 videos. Worse still, they are so badly recognised that I am now having to go through each video, one by one, to correct the errors, I can't even trust the videos that it has "recognised", I've just found a video in my Adele directory that has the right song name but the wrong artist! How can this be acceptable?

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but we can't filter the results. They improvements should happen within the imvdb search engine, or we should just remove the plugin altogether.

Tremas

I think the largest problem here is that the imvdb is pretty bad and lacking a great deal of content. It can get better but it seems more difficult to contribute data than themoviedb.org (can’t say for sure - haven’t tried). The best option for the current state of play is still customizing your own content by either NFO or embedded mp4 metadata. If turning on the imvdb overwrites the customizations, that really stinks.

As for folder structure, I keep all of my music videos in a flat file structure (all in one giant folder) with NFOs for the same reason mentioned earlier - I want to see all of the tracks in one screen and use the filter menu, not click into individual artists. I have been waiting to see how the upcoming database updates play out before making changes, but I’m open to using subfolders if I can easily filter and shuffle the selections.

I don’t think the music video section is broken per se, but it could certainly use some love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why validate against IMVDB in the first place, it's clearly incomplete.Music videos are simply videos of music, so why not use a music database, you are not populating much information into Emby and you don't even link back IMVDB, the interfaces to audiodb and musicbrainz. to name but two,  are much more reliable.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

As for folder structure, I keep all of my music videos in a flat file structure (all in one giant folder) with NFOs for the same reason mentioned earlier - I want to see all of the tracks in one screen and use the filter menu, not click into individual artists. I have been waiting to see how the upcoming database updates play out before making changes, but I’m open to using subfolders if I can easily filter and shuffle the selections.

I don’t think the music video section is broken per se, but it could certainly use some love.

Which is what you get in beta - on the videos TAB and a folder view on the folders TAB

An Artist TAB and Genre TAB would be a nice addition to improve on what we have.

IMVDB is what it is - all of you that have issues with it - have you tried to improve the metadata match by adding entries/editing them?

I dont have a major issue with IMVDB mainly because i dont have a huge library compared to some and my videos are mostly "studio" releases so more likely to be on IMVDB - and i name them to match IMVDB so look up is painless!

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Why validate against IMVDB in the first place, it's clearly incomplete.Music videos are simply videos of music, so why not use a music database, you are not populating much information into Emby and you don't even link back IMVDB, the interfaces to audiodb and musicbrainz. to name but two, are much more reliable.

That's a very good point. Why not use a music database?

Guest asrequested

Which is what you get in beta - on the videos TAB and a folder view on the folders TAB

An Artist TAB and Genre TAB would be a nice addition to improve on what we have.

IMVDB is what it is - all of you that have issues with it - have you tried to improve the metadata match by adding entries/editing them?

I dont have a major issue with IMVDB mainly because i dont have a huge library compared to some and my videos are mostly "studio" releases so more likely to be on IMVDB - and i name them to match IMVDB so look up is painless!

In my case, they don't even have an entry for most of my videos. So when it can't find it, the first alternate is used. Which is always wrong. I've had some of mine identified as things I've never heard of. Some random nonsense. I've tried looking for them on IMVDBs site, and my videos aren't in their database. I'm sure they have much of the new and mainstream stuff, but most of mine aren't mainstream.

PenkethBoy

So if they dont have an entry in IMVDB - why are you surprised its a random match - this would be the same as any media in emby that is "wrongly" named when compared to a metadata provider - as emby does not do any verification of the result(s) returned as Luke has said before.

So if your MV's are not mainstream and not on IMVDB - it sounds like the results you get are to be expected and IMVDB is not for your collection

Also sending MV "names" to MusicBrainz as song (recording) title is also very likely to produce random results as well (just tried it) - so we come back to the fact that IMVDB is far from perfect but is the only source of metadata we have available - unless there is another better source available.

Maybe the better question for @ and @@PoBear to answer - in detail - is what you expect to happen when emby reads you MV's library - as that would give the rest of us a chance to understand better what your expectations are.

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

From what Luke and ebr are saying, I think it's moot. They are relying on the search results, and not making any adjustments. Which is fine. I just need to manually curate them.

PenkethBoy

Then stop moaning about it - if you are not going to engage with meaningful suggestions/discussion

Guest asrequested

Then stop moaning about it - if you are not going to engage with meaningful suggestions/discussion

I will express myself as I choose to.

Guest asrequested

Maybe the better question for @ and @@PoBear to answer - in detail - is what you expect to happen when emby reads you MV's library - as that would give the rest of us a chance to understand better what your expectations are.

Expressed here

I have videos that are unreleased cover versions. Not official videos. But the server is just calling them whatever it feels like. If there isn't an exact match to artist folder name and the video file name, it should do nothing and let us know there wasn't an exact match.

Answered here

This is how all of the metadata providers have always worked because it is how the external search engines work.  They never return nothing and an "exact" match is an impossible standard.  If your situation is that your items will probably not have accurate internet metadata, then you simply need to turn off the fetching of that data for them.

and here

I'm not saying it's acceptable, but we can't filter the results. They improvements should happen within the imvdb search engine, or we should just remove the plugin altogether.

To which, I responded with

Don't remove it. Some people can use just fine. But having it enabled by default is precarious. 

And why I said it's moot. And again I shall say. THIS DOESN'T WORK! 

Clear enough for you?

Spaceboy

This is the same as your anti Shield rants. Mostly misplaced sentiment and really tedious for everyone else that has the misfortune to be exposed to it

• Like 1

I think we have, several times!

I want you to use a source that has a wide range of content, which is not IMVDB and when it does a look-up, I want a match, subject to the constraints imposed by the OS for using characters and if there isn't one then for it returns a nil value and builds an entry based on the supplied artist name and video title. I'd like it to use the filename to do this and not the file structure.

If there isn't a match then it's down to me to adjust my content to fit.

What I don't want is a system that returns an incorrect value that bears no relationship whatsoever to the original entry.

Edited by PoBear

Guest asrequested

This is the same as your anti Shield rants. Mostly misplaced sentiment and really tedious for everyone else that has the misfortune to be exposed to it

Not at all. What seems to be being ignored is that there are more and more people reporting issues with music video libraries. And if I casually say something it gets completely ignored. As for the shield, I bought one and found out it's actually worse than I thought it would be. Putting music videos in movie folder structure isn't intuitive, and isn't commonly used. And imvdb isn't mature enough to be used by everyone.

CBers

As for the shield, I bought one and found out it's actually worse than I thought it would be.

For you it is, but for 100,000s it isn't.

We've already proved in the other threads about your Shield, that the issue is the way you encode your videos.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Expressed here

Answered here

and here

To which, I responded with

And why I said it's moot. And again I shall say. THIS DOESN'T WORK! 

Clear enough for you?

Nope - as it does work - with limitations - which are mostly to do with IMVDB's lack of info - as there appears to be no other provider - you are stuck with what we have

As you dont want to do anything to your media structure/naming then thats not going to change 

What i find odd is that you "love" messing around with MPV and changing things but cant be ar8ed to do the same for you MV's

This is why i said stop moaning about it - as the coding fairies are not going to magically fix it for you.

• Like 1