Emby for Android Shield TV not playing back HDR on all titles

gleep52

Guest asrequested

Reading this thread is confusing. Is there an option on Emby Android builds to use a different player or decoder? I have over 200 HDR rips and none of them seem to work playing on Emby for either my Shield or my 4k Fire TV - both on 4k HDR TVs.

Kodi on both devices works fine as it's not attempting to transcode, so is it not using exoplayer?

Short answer, no. You need ExoPlayer for HDR, and it's the same decoder as stable. There is no option to change decoder. I explored that when I first had the issue. This is why I keep using an HTPC. I can do whatever I want.

• Like 1

arecad98

I am also experiencing this for HDR content. It is not telling my TV that the content is in HDR and therefore colours are all washed out. Kodi works great and my TV reports same content as HDR.

• 2 months later...

I am also experiencing this problem. I can add one more observation. HDR does not work with Emby when using built-in EXO player pro (default set up) however the movies can be played with EXO player pro from a file browser.

This appears to be an issue with Emby's implementation of EXO player pro.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It looks like they're working on the problem.

I am still confused by how I can play movies with HDR on EXO player app outside of the Emby app if they are indeed the same app. Makes no sense. What else is weird is if I select the EXO player as the external player inside of Emby it won't play because of a bad path to file name. But if I select VLC as the external player in Emby the path is not an issue. I was hoping to use this as a work around because VLC is not my preferred player, especially for recorded material. But it does play HDR correctly.

Note: Emby plays HDR fine on Fire stick 4k with default player, is EXO the default player on firetv app?

Also, I side loaded android tv beta v1.6.64g to fire 4k and the default player plays HDR fine. Leading me to not being able to find a solution.

I think I will go back to the fire TV beta on stick.

vdatanet

I have the same problem with the shield. In case it is helpful, I have downloaded several movies with different formats and the HDR content only works in "remux" versions, in versions that have recoded the video does not work. Therefore, I think the problem is with the films with the recoded video. In contrast, Plex plays HDR content in all versions.

Thank you for the response and additional information. But since Plex, VLC, Emby on FireStick 4k and even Exo Player pro all play the HDR movies I have (Note: Exo player only plays HDR on Shield when launching from file broswer with "open with").

I believe there is an internal problem within the Emby client working with the Shield hardware that is causing the problem because the same Emby Android client does play HDR correctly when side loaded on a fire stick 4k. So the same Android app plays HDR fine on the fire stick, but not on the Shield.

griffindodd

Thank you for the response and additional information. But since Plex, VLC, Emby on FireStick 4k and even Exo Player pro all play the HDR movies I have (Note: Exo player only plays HDR on Shield when launching from file broswer with "open with").

I believe there is an internal problem within the Emby client working with the Shield hardware that is causing the problem because the same Emby Android client does play HDR correctly when side loaded on a fire stick 4k. So the same Android app plays HDR fine on the fire stick, but not on the Shield.

I can second this. Emby on my Fire 4K stick seems to do fine with HDR, but on my Shield it rarely works streaming the same exact files. Ironically the Shield has a hard wired connection to my Emby Server on PC, the 4k stick is only connected over AC Wifi so there's certainly no network limitations forcing any kind of transcode on the Shield.

Edited by griffindodd

vdatanet

Here's a movie that is not cropped that you do not fire HDR on my TV (Plex does). Therefore, I believe that the problem is not in cropped movies but in some particular video encoding.

info.txt

Guest asrequested

Here's a movie that is not cropped that you do not fire HDR on my TV (Plex does). Therefore, I believe that the problem is not in cropped movies but in some particular video encoding.

Yeah, I suggested that a while back. There are new x265 encoders. Cropping requires re-encoding, and I think the Nvidia decoder hasn't caught up with the new developments. If I play them directly with cuda, they're all messed up. But if I use cuda via nvdec, it's just fine. Nvidia needs to adjust their native decoder.

• Like 1

FrostByte

What are your guys smoking?

Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 076 pixels

Edit: 84 pixels cropped (42 top/bottom) :)
Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 4

vdatanet

What are your guys smoking?

Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 076 pixels

Edit: 84 pixels cropped (42 top/bottom) :)

Sorry, You are right, I didn't notice that. Since the original material was 16:9, I thought it was not cropped. From what I see, the majority of "4K webrips" are missing a few vertical pixels, between 40 and 100.

• Like 1

CBers

Sorry, You are right, I didn't notice that. Since the original material was 16:9, I thought it was not cropped. From what I see, the majority of "4K webrips" are missing a few vertical pixels, between 40 and 100.

Yes, that seems to be the common fault.

Until we're advised otherwise.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

I'm 99% sure it's the native decoder.

Well, I was wrong. It's the image height.

Edited by Doofus

This issue is specific to the Shield.  The Mi and Fire devices work properly.

Google is supposedly talking to Nvidia about it.

• 3 months later...
EODCrafter

This didn't work for me. The HDR still isn't working.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We are Still waiting on Nvidia AFAIK.

Deathmo

This didn't work for me. The HDR still isn't working.

Sorry, I did not mean the solution.

I meant that Nvidia has to bugfix.

maddog510

Sorry, I did not mean the solution.

I meant that Nvidia has to bugfix.

They released a new version of Emby today but HDR issue still isn't fixed.

CBers

They released a new version of Emby today but HDR issue still isn't fixed.

It's not an Emby issue, but an Nvidia one.

TylerV76

That’s not entirely true. Works fine on Plex. Emby could develop their own player I guess?

Thats been discussed. Doesn't appear likely.