Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

FrostByte

Does your TV have some kind of indicator saying it's HDR?  On my Samsung I can see "HDR" on one of the screens when it triggers HDR.  Otherwise my Samsung can try to simulate HDR which changes the color also, though not as good as the actual HDR.

solidus28

Hey vader, then what am I seeing on my set up?  Cropped movies are clearly tripping HDR, not only can I see the brightness change but can pull the info and see that it is in HDR10 mode.

Am I confusing two different modes ?

If you go to MediaInfo, what's the resolution on some of your cropped movies?  Maybe some resolutions now trigger, while some still don't?

Snapper

Yeah, I am curious what your crops look like.  I have several HDR movies cropped to 3840x1600, and they all play in SDR which can be verified by the "Info" screen on my projector.  If I set the color matching option to auto, they also play in bt.709 instead of bt.2020.

vdatanet

If you go to MediaInfo, what's the resolution on some of your cropped movies?  Maybe some resolutions now trigger, while some still don't?

This one doesn't trigger HDR in Emby + Nvidia Shield. 

- Emby + Nvidia Shield: Doesn't trigger HDR

- Plex + Nvidia Shield: Triggers HDR

- Plex + Apple TV: Triggers HDR

- Infuse + Apple TV: Triggers HDR

Here's is a sample:

http://www.vdata.net/sample.zip

example.txt

Edited by vdatanet

strupie

I can confirm Vaders findings.

Tester, you should definitely check your vids with mediainfo. All the files that are NOT in 4K native resolution (3840 x 2160) will NOT use the HDR10 metadata. However, when I play cropped movies, my LG C9 does show the HDR logo but no HDR10 metadata is actually being processed. And this is the case for everyone here that uses Emby on Shield, I haven't seen any exceptions but you so far and I doubt very strongly that your system is processing HDR10 metadata like you're claiming. What setup are you running this on? 

Edited by strupie