Emby for Android Shield TV not playing back HDR on all titles

gleep52

vdatanet

I'm just glad its sorted (hopefully), just a shame we'll probably have to wait a few months for the next Shield Experience Update

I do not mind waiting until the next Shield Experience Update, I was convinced that this would take longer to be solved.

• 2 weeks later...

@@ebr I'm assuming I can take down my link to the test video, now?

Sure.  Thanks very much for keeping it alive.

Guest asrequested

To all you guys waiting for this fix, you are aware that Shield's chromecast will play the HDR cropped movies, correctly? It just doesn't support all the audio options.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

To all you guys waiting for this fix, you are aware that Shield's chromecast will play the HDR cropped movies, correctly? It just doesn't support all the audio options.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Jdiesel

Whats the verdict on this? Are we still waiting for an official Shield TV update? Has it been fixed in the 7.2.3 test images?

Whats the verdict on this? Are we still waiting for an official Shield TV update? Has it been fixed in the 7.2.3 test images?

Yes and not that I'm aware of.

vdatanet

Yes and not that I'm aware of.

In my case, test image solved the pause problem but the issue with cropped HDR movies is still there. I think it's solved in an Internal Build and we have to wait. Anyone can confirm this?

Edited by vdatanet

I think it's solved in an Internal Build and we have to wait. Anyone can confirm this?

That is the report we got from NVidia.

Guest asrequested

You can still use the Chromecast built into shield. That plays the HDR, correctly. It just doesn't support all the audio codecs

• 4 weeks later...
moviefan

Shield Experience 8.0 out today.  Upgrading now.  Hoping this fixes it!

EDIT:  Unfortunately no, it doesnt look like this helped at all.

Edited by moviefan

ACGriffiths

Sigh, glad I kept my Plex server going. Emby is heading in the right direction but the clients are still just too immature. If we are relying on system updates just to get clients to do the most basic thing, play a video correctly, and still not getting the fix when the update comes, then all the bells and whistles aren’t much use, are they

CBers

Sigh, glad I kept my Plex server going. Emby is heading in the right direction but the clients are still just too immature. If we are relying on system updates just to get clients to do the most basic thing, play a video correctly, and still not getting the fix when the update comes, then all the bells and whistles aren’t much use, are they

It's not Emby, it's the Shield.

Plex use a bastardised version of ExoPlayer to get around the issue.

• Like 1

ACGriffiths

Also, I know the problem is with the Shield. As I said, we were all waiting on *their* update, and got nothing.

CBers

So in other words, Plex fixed the issue, Emby is shrugging it’s shoulders.

If you feel think working around a hardware problem a "fix".

Also, I know the problem is with the Shield. As I said, we were all waiting on *their* update, and got nothing.

Nvidia mentioned here that it was fixed, but for some reason, it didn't make it into the latest public release.

ACGriffiths

Isn’t that what a fix is? It works, so yeah, it’s fixed. How you get there isn’t the point, it’s the result that counts.

I like Emby, far more than I do Plex, but I miss never having these little playback issues. And that is after all, the point, is it not? Playback that works

Spaceboy

I know I say this as an unaffected person not having a 4K tv but I really don’t think this is that high priority. It is is a bell / whistle to me, not a core issue

Spaceboy

Isn’t that what a fix is? It works, so yeah, it’s fixed. How you get there isn’t the point, it’s the result that counts.

I like Emby, far more than I do Plex, but I miss never having these little playback issues. And that is after all, the point, is it not? Playback that works

re rip the disc and this time don’t crop it. You’ll be fine [emoji3]
  • Like 2

ACGriffiths

Actually I’ve taken to buying iTunes versions the last couple of months because of this issue (saves space, physical and digital, too), but our friends at Disney won’t put the Marvel movies up there in 4K. I have the UHD Blu-ray’s, but don’t have a drive to rip yet, so I just download BR rips. The bandwidth is another issue so I think I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and rip them myself, and probably into an Apple friendly format, which will mean giving up atmos, since it appears nothing can convert to the web version of it

Edited by ACGriffiths

CBers

Actually I’ve taken to buying iTunes versions the last couple of months because of this issue (saves space, physical and digital, too), but our friends at Disney won’t put the Marvel movies up there in 4K. I have the UHD Blu-ray’s, but don’t have a drive to rip yet, so I just download BR rips. The bandwidth is another issue so I think I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and rip them myself, and probably into an Apple friendly format, which will mean giving up atmos, since it appears nothing can convert to the web version of it

Yes, I know the DD+ atmos doesn’t have metadata, but as I say, I just want it to *work*

Probably a subject for a separate thread, but the Shield/Emby ATV app plays Atmos without any issues.

strupie

CBers, you're wrong! Nvidia did actually mention it was fixed in the public release.

From the release notes:

Video/Display

"Fixed bug where cropped HDR content would not enable HDR playback in Emby."

So we can't take Nvidia on their word? That's basically what you're saying because it's not working. That's a serious allegation.

I personally love HDR content and one of the reasons I choose a Shield TV. I also love Emby but as ACGrifftihs is saying, these 'little' issues, to some it's not a core issue but for some IT IS.

I was looking forward to this update for MONTHS because HDR is important to me... and now it's been released, the dissapointment is so much greater knowing they allegedly fixed it.

C'mon Emby, do whatever you have to do.