Multiple Live TV Tuners, double channels

manolodf

Might as well just Pay for Cable..........

You don't need the server package, you DVBLink noob :P;)

pir8radio

Good old DVBLink (from DVBLogic) has a perfect solution that I find the most easy, that even non-tech nerds can understand. It has a Channel Merge feature, where you can drag and drop channels of different sources (IPTV, DVB-C etc) into ONE Channel, where the user decides which channel source gets used FIRST by DVBLink when a user opens a channel. The order in this Merge List than decides which Source is used first. So with this you can have multiple sources of a channel that act as one, in whatever media software package you request the channel.

5c4848c60895b_DVBLInk_ChannelMerge.png

DVBLogic says now, that from their software packages, TVMosaic is King, because DVBLink is End of Life and sales/support for DVBLink has been discontinued from January this year.... But to me DVBLink is still KING, because it has feature options (like Channel Merge from DIFFERENT sources and more) that are still MISSING in TVMosaic....

but how do you tell it source 1 is allowed 5 streams, source two is allowed 3 streams and source 3 is only allowed 1 stream..    so emby knows it has 9 streams available.   This is the issue.   not merging same channels into one...  its emby properly handling these merged channels, and not overstepping your stream limit on any one of them.     

so m3u source 1 has 5, and when all 5 streams are in use it knows to start using source 2.   

Spaceboy

But the dvblink team rival plex for “helpfulness”. I was a paying dvblink customer for many years. Best thing I did was drop it for the free mediaportal

but how do you tell it source 1 is allowed 5 streams, source two is allowed 3 streams and source 3 is only allowed 1 stream..    so emby knows it has 9 streams available.   This is the issue.   not merging same channels into one...  its emby properly handling these merged channels, and not overstepping your stream limit on any one of them.     

so m3u source 1 has 5, and when all 5 streams are in use it knows to start using source 2.   

Every source in DVBLink has ONE stream limit. Remember this !!!

If you need more, just add the same source to DVBLink and DVBLink will merge those two same sources automatically into one channel. DVBLink also controls your stream sharing.

5c4875c3ce791_Sources.png

The colors you assign to a source, you will see back in the colors of the channel names in the Channel Merge tab.

So if you have source ONE, with 5 stream limit, you just ADD 5 iptv sources in DVBLink with m3u from source ONE.

(DVBLink iptv source => Source ONE - connection 1)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source ONE - connection 2)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source ONE - connection 3)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source ONE - connection 4)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source ONE - connection 5)

For source TWO, with 3 stream limit, just add 3 iptv sources in DVBLink with m3u of source TWO.

(DVBLink iptv source => Source TWO - connection 1)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source TWO - connection 2)

(DVBLink iptv source => Source TWO - connection 3)

For source THREE, with 1 stream limit, just add 1 iptv source in DVBLink with m3u of source THREE

(DVBLink iptv source => Source THREE - connection 1)

DVBLink can than merge the same channels from source ONE, TWO, THREE into ONE channel automatically or you can do it manually.

So your setup in Channel Merge tab is gonna look like this:

Main branch Channel A

|_ channel A (Source ONE - connection 1)

|_ channel A (Source ONE - connection 2)

|_ channel A (Source ONE - connection 3)

|_ channel A (Source ONE - connection 4)

|_ channel A (Source ONE - connection 5)

|_ channel A (Source TWO - connection 1)

|_ channel A (Source TWO - connection 2)

|_ channel A (Source TWO - connection 3)

|_ channel A (Source THREE - connection 1)

So if a user is watching channel A, DVBLink sends channel A (Source ONE - connection 1) to the user. If next user kicks in watching channel B, DVBLink sends channel B (Source ONE - connection 2) and if next user kicks in watching channel C, DVBLink sends channel C (Source ONE - connection 3) etc. DVBLink uses the order of the Merged Channel Branch which source to use FIRST and because every source (in DVBLink) has 1 stream limit, it just looks into the available sources which are free for that channel, following the branch from top to bottom. If all 9 DVBLink sources are in use, than DVBLink will send a stream to that user, containing a short movie displaying "All tuners are occupied".

Regarding DVBLink stream sharing, If user 1, 2, 3, 4 are watching same channel A, DVBLink will only use ONE connection to your IPTV provider and streams shares channel A to those 4 users with only one connection to your iptv provider.

Edited by Senna

EODCrafter

5c485dbcda96d_Screenshotfrom201901230627

Might as well just Pay for Cable..........

5c48a106d8ded_Screenshotfrom201901231114

So it's free? $55 for 12 months is pretty Steep....

Edited by EODCrafter

Best thing I did was drop it for the free mediaportal

Can you point me to a Mediaportal plugin that reads my official smartcard from my DVB-C provider with a cardreader in PM only please, than I'm very interested in trying Mediaportal for my encrypted DVB-C channels :)

Spaceboy

Can you point me to a Mediaportal plugin that reads my official smartcard from my DVB-C provider with a cardreader in PM only please, than I'm very interested in trying Mediaportal for my encrypted DVB-C channels :)

funnily enough that’s why I was using dvblink. For the smart card reading functionality. I had my full uk sky sub available in wmc via dvblink. It was excellent.

But sky realised what was going on and changed the encryption method for HD channels. It was still ok but broke for one reason or another regularly.

I cancelled my sky sub and just used the free channels but I found the dvblink devs so backwards and uninterested in adding new functionality, like for example having a reliable plugin for emby (still waiting btw) while demanding (in the context of that market) a relatively expensive annual licence fee that when someone indicated I could get the same from MP or NPVR with a welcomed donation it was a no brainer.

As to your specific question, there are options I believe. But I’m so long out of that game I don’t know anymore. Someone like @punktchen may know though. Although I think you think your question was rhetorical [emoji3]

• Like 2

I found the dvblink devs so backwards and uninterested in adding new functionality, like for example having a reliable plugin for emby (still waiting btw) while demanding (in the context of that market) a relatively expensive annual licence fee that when someone indicated I could get the same from MP or NPVR with a welcomed donation it was a no brainer.

As to your specific question, there are options I believe. But I’m so long out of that game I don’t know anymore. Someone like @punktchen may know though. Although I think you think your question was rhetorical [emoji3]

My question was genuine :)

Because I never easily found (or had lots of spare time left) to find good guides for a DVB-C setup in Mediaportal to watch encrypted channels with a cardreader setup with my HDHR3-4DC, just as I have now with DVBLink and TVMosaic for my encrypted DVB-C channels. For DVBLink, information was easy to find, even for things that aren't allowed to be discussed here, for encrypted channels ;)

For years already DVBLink has no annual license fees, instead they switched to an upgrade model, where users with DVBLink version 5 could only get version 6 if they paid for the discounted upgrade.

But I agree with you, TVMosaic was created with all the fixes for DVBLink, which DVBLink didn't get, to force users to upgrade to TVMosaic, but that fee was acceptable (€20). But programmers need some bread for wife and kids on the table too you know and to be honest, some nice new things are now in TVMosaic, but that is another discussion ;)

To the one wasting off topic space with same pictures in this topic, the server package you see with a €180,- / 12 months package is only for those who run a large scale iptv platform, for example running a Hotel TV system based on DVBLink, to provide all rooms with Television. The other packages for Home users don't have a annual/monthly fees and just like I have said before, you don't need the €180,- server package for the functionality I described.

Edit:typo (2x)

Edited by Senna
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

Because I never easily found (or had lots of spare time left) to find good guides for a DVB-C setup in Mediaportal to watch encrypted channels with a cardreader setup with my HDHR3-4DC, just as I have now with DVBLink and TVMosaic for my encrypted DVB-C channels. For DVBLink, information was easy to find, even for things that aren't allowed to be discussed here, for encrypted channels ;)

For years already DVBLink has no annual license fees, instead they switched to an upgrade model, where users with DVBLink version 5 could only get version 6 if they paid for the discounted upgrade.

But I agree with you, TVMosaic was created with all the fixes for DVBLink, which DVBLink didn't get, to force users to upgrade to TVMosaic, but that fee was acceptable (€20). But programmers need some bread for wife and kids on the table too you know and to be honest, some nice new things are now in TVMosaic, but that is another discussion ;)

To the one wasting off topic space with same pictures in this topic, the server package you see with a €180,- / 12 months package is only for those who run a large scale iptv platform, for example running a Hotel TV system based on DVBLink, to provide all rooms with Television. The other packages for Home users don't have a annual/monthly fees and just like I have said before, you don't need the €180,- server package for the functionality I described.

Would you kindly stop attacking in every single response? Leave it be. No one's gonna buy into that software with FREE open Source alternatives and @@Luke Vow to fix this issue. Take your sales pitch somewhere else.

Edited by EODCrafter

No one's gonna buy into that software with FREE open Source alternatives

Luckily we still live in a FREE world where everyone can decide for themselves, what suits best for their OWN use case scenario  :) 

If someone wants to spend money for realizing that use case scenario, it is still his or hers FREE choice and they wont bother you with it, because it is their money....

What your preference is, doesn't mean that the WHOLE world has the same preference :rolleyes:

Take your sales pitch somewhere else.

If someone doesn't want to wait for an Emby solution, who are you to prohibit other users to give an insight, how other software packages handle the problems where THIS TOPIC is all about  :blink:

So take it easy and take a Sisi :)

• Like 1

Spaceboy

the fee didn’t bother me at all, the fee with the refusal to consider anything new grated.

But good info, nice to see how things have moved on. Thanks!

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Luckily we still live in a FREE world where everyone can decide for themselves, what suits best for their OWN use case scenario  :)

If someone wants to spend money for realizing that use case scenario, it is still his or hers FREE choice and they wont bother you with it, because it is their money....

What your preference is, doesn't mean that the WHOLE world has the same preference :rolleyes:

If someone doesn't want to wait for an Emby solution, who are you to prohibit other users to give an insight, how other software packages handle the problems where THIS TOPIC is all about  :blink:

So take it easy and take a Sisi :)

Not wanting to be Close-Minded, I setup the software, added 2 IPTV Tuners, Added my 2 sources and it still duped the channels which is what this post is about. I used the 20 day free trial of the New TV Mosaic, so really it doesn't "fix" anything. Gonna try Medial Portal as @@Spaceboy has suggested next.

Edited by EODCrafter

Not wanting to be Close-Minded, I setup the software, added 2 IPTV Tuners, Added my 2 sources and it still duped the channels which is what this post is about. I used the 20 day free trial of the New TV Mosaic, so really it doesn't "fix" anything. Gonna try Medial Portal as @@Spaceboy has suggested next.

Well, when you miss something important like this in my previous post.....

But to me DVBLink is still KING, because it has feature options (like Channel Merge from DIFFERENT sources and more) that are still MISSING in TVMosaic....

EODCrafter

Well, when you miss something important like this in my previous post.....

So you have a complimentary Version of DBLink that works? How did you achieve that?

So you have a complimentary Version of DBLink that works? How did you achieve that?

Where did you read that I have a complimentary version of DVBLink ?

At the end of the day we need this functionality (and more) built right into Emby.

We need the ability to add multiple "tuners" such as:

OTA

Cable

Premium TV from Silicon Dust

IPTV

We should be able to add as many "tuners" of each as needed and be able to set the stream count (if not automatic).

We then need to be able to merge channels from each tuner type into one set of usable channels. For like channels it can perform this automatically like it does now for HDHomeRun tuners but it needs to allow us to configure this ourselves as well.  We need to be able to combine CBS from the OTA and Cable and specify the order the tuners are used.

We need to be able to select Hallmark from Cable, Premium TV and IPTV sources and merge them together as ONE CHANNEL while respecting the tuner order we set.

After being able to configure the MASTER CHANNEL LIST we then need to match EPG guides to our list.  This is different then the way we do it now where we match EPGs to each Tuner.  It makes more sense to create the list of Channels first then assign the EPG to it.

One channel/station in the master list with an entry to an EPG source (clearly identified).

We also need the ability to rearange the order of the MASTER CHANEL LIST and be able to assign each master channel to a group(s) as well like "Movies, Sports, News, etc).

Do that and so many problems are solved!  I know, easier said then done, but this is the functionality we need built into Emby.  Having the master list when you can tell exactly how many tuners are available for a specific station also sets the stage for easier conflict resolution and other advanced functions many of us want as well.

Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

@@cayars 99% what you have written, is excactly how it works in good old and retired DVBLink :)

Looking forward if Emby devs can achieve most of that functionality within Emby !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
pir8radio

So this year then?

Yes.

Any timeline set?   Can you share any news to keep our hopes up?   :)

EODCrafter

Any timeline set?   Can you share any news to keep our hopes up?   :)

Ugh...Still 11 Months in this Year :(

pir8radio

This may be a strange request, but I am foreseeing for when certain sports start going I think it will be needed.  My provider has a limit on the # of connections, so what I wanted to be able to accomplish somehow is to have 2 m3u tuners with identical channels, without having the channels be shown duplicated, or without having to run separate emby servers.  

The idea would be to have the 2 identical M3U tuners with the different authentication URLs, one EPG Guide, but instead of showing duplicate channels it just intelligently takes # of tuners from one, and once full uses some from the other.  So lets say its 3 connections each, once Tuner 1 has 3 being taken up, then use connections from Tuner2 which has identical channel lineup, just different authentication URL. 

Even taking it one step further that could be useful to many is using this feature as a "Backup" Live TV source. In case the provider is down that supplies however many connections one could possibly have an alternate provider, maybe a cheaper/less reliable one that has one connection just to keep some alive and have an additional tuner for some of the channels. 

Vote for this feature here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70409-pool-multiple-m3u-iptv-tuners-no-double-or-duplicate-channels/?p=705555

• Like 1

Tavarusj

Is there a way to have a certain m3u list attached to a certain user? For example... I’m testing various IPTV providers, but rather have only it’s channels populate in the live tv. Instead of combining with the other m3u list. I would imagine creating a separate server would do the trick, but eh....

EODCrafter

Is there a way to have a certain m3u list attached to a certain user? For example... I’m testing various IPTV providers, but rather have only it’s channels populate in the live tv. Instead of combining with the other m3u list. I would imagine creating a separate server would do the trick, but eh....

For Live TV, it's all or nothing. Can't configure access to individual tuners AFAIK. (Even if you separated the m3u into groups and added them as individual tuners)

With that Being said though, you can make Parental Ratings for Live TV in Metadata Manager and deny them access to to Certain Parental Ratings.

Edited by EODCrafter

With that Being said though, you can make Parental Ratings for Live TV in Metadata Manager and deny them access to to Certain Parental Ratings.

That right now is the best/only way to do this.

You could either tag every channel with a parental rating or just tag channels you don't want to show up for some people.