Commercial detection, or honor EDL?

muzicman0

pcubillos
13 hours ago, AmiralRichter said:

I think what @pcubillos is saying is that if Emby understands EDL files, one could manually create an EDL file to skip certain parts of a movie. i.e. not necessarily recorded from live tv.

EDL is a simple text file containing a list of time pairs (in seconds) to identify cuts, chapters, sections to be muted or commercials.

Yup, exactly! I want to cut/skip and mute certain parts of a movie without having to modify the original movie file. I am not looking to skip commercials. I use emby for my viewing my library of movies that I ripped and re-encoded on my media center.

Thanks!

• Like 2

sross44
22 hours ago, cayars said:

Sure that could be done but any savvy child could rewind for the "good parts". :)

HAHA... you know they'd be doing that too! 

• Like 1

sross44

I'm assuming the answer is still "we're working on it" but do we have an idea or approximation when the TV updates will be introduced? I know it's been a long time promised and hopefully it's soon, but really I'm just curious. 

• 3 months later...
muzicman0

Assuming this will come sometime in the future, can I suggest a feature from Channels DVR that I haven't seen on any other EDL supported player?  This should be an option, not forced though.

What Channels DVR does (again, optionally!), is when a cut point is reached in a video file, a button will pop up to skip the commercials.  I really like this, because a lot of the times, my cut points are a couple seconds before the commercials actually start, so I can wait to skip until they start.  

I know this wouldn't be for everyone, but for me, I almost always have the remote in my hand, and I found this feature to be extremely helpful!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
muzicman0

I'm beginning to think it will never happen.  Which is frustrating.  I would really like to ditch Kodi as a player and just use the Emby app on my Shield, but not being able to use edl files is a deal breaker for my wife and I.

muzicman0
7 minutes ago, pcubillos said:

Muzicman0: So plex does not do EDL either? I WILL BE READY TO JUMP IF IT DOES!!!

I don't know if Plex does or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
HarryMuscle
On 02/09/2021 at 19:07, muzicman0 said:

I don't know if Plex does or not. 

Plex does not support EDL files.  They do have the ability to skip the intro for TV shows but it's one skip and it's not automatic (shows a skip intro button).

pcubillos

That's probably why Emby is not really pushing for the EDL option either. There is no competition, so the improvement suggestion is not high on the list. 

Those of you on this forum that got it to work on Kodi, can you please post some sites how this can be done. I am getting tired of waiting. If I can get it to work then I can cancel my Emby subscription. I appreciate any help on this. Have a great and safe day!

chris4851

Emby doesn’t even offer basic commercial skip. Plex is already way ahead in this regards. Until Emby has commercial skip their software for live TV record is useless. 

muzicman0
11 minutes ago, chris4851 said:

Emby doesn’t even offer basic commercial skip. Plex is already way ahead in this regards. Until Emby has commercial skip their software for live TV record is useless. 

Useless is probably over stating it, but certainly makes it so that my wife won't use it.

muzicman0
22 minutes ago, pcubillos said:

That's probably why Emby is not really pushing for the EDL option either. There is no competition, so the improvement suggestion is not high on the list. 

Those of you on this forum that got it to work on Kodi, can you please post some sites how this can be done. I am getting tired of waiting. If I can get it to work then I can cancel my Emby subscription. I appreciate any help on this. Have a great and safe day!

Do you have your recorded TV library on a smb share, or something that Kodi can 'see'?  If not, it won't work.  If so, PM me, and I will help out.

pcubillos
14 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

Do you have your recorded TV library on a smb share, or something that Kodi can 'see'?  If not, it won't work.  If so, PM me, and I will help out.

Thank you for your quick response. I have all my converted movies (MKVs) from the original Blu Ray on my server. I have a media PC that I use to watch my movies over the in-house network.

I will PM you 

muzicman0
11 minutes ago, pcubillos said:

Thank you for your quick response. I have all my converted movies (MKVs) from the original Blu Ray on my server. I have a media PC that I use to watch my movies over the in-house network.

I will PM you 

you will need to share the media libraries via SMB (Windows Network Share).  Once you have that set up, then set your libraries in Emby to use the optional 'Shared Network Folder Path'.  In Windows, the path will look something like this:  \\192.168.0.20\RecordedTV\

You will need a user name and password configured on the server PC for Windows to make it work.

This tutorial is as good as any on setting up a share: Share a folder, drive, or printer on the network in Windows (iu.edu)

Personally, when it gets to the permissions part, I set it up so 'everyone' has read/write permissions.  That may not be the most secure thing, but my network itself is very secure, and the 'everyone' option gives all users on that PC access.   If that isn't what you want, then simply grant whatever users you want permissions to read/write (write should only be required if you want to delete files from Kodi).  When you try to access the share from another PC (or Shield, etc), you will simply use the username and password for the PC that is hosting the files.

Once you have that working, let me know.  Should be fairly simple from there.

pcubillos
1 minute ago, muzicman0 said:

you will need to share the media libraries via SMB (Windows Network Share).  Once you have that set up, then set your libraries in Emby to use the optional 'Shared Network Folder Path'.  In Windows, the path will look something like this:  \\192.168.0.20\RecordedTV\

You will need a user name and password configured on the server PC for Windows to make it work.

This tutorial is as good as any on setting up a share: Share a folder, drive, or printer on the network in Windows (iu.edu)

Personally, when it gets to the permissions part, I set it up so 'everyone' has read/write permissions.  That may not be the most secure thing, but my network itself is very secure, and the 'everyone' option gives all users on that PC access.   If that isn't what you want, then simply grant whatever users you want permissions to read/write (write should only be required if you want to delete files from Kodi).  When you try to access the share from another PC (or Shield, etc), you will simply use the username and password for the PC that is hosting the files.

Once you have that working, let me know.  Should be fairly simple from there.

Thank you! I will work on it tonight. Appreciate the help!!!

sross44

This really is the one thing that keeps driving me back to Plex sadly. Being able to skip commercials (without having to use another program, scripts etc) is a great and useful feature. Plex and Channels DVR both do it natively and I really wish Emby would implement this feature. Sometimes it's not just the server admin that needs to be pleased.... I call this the Wife Effect lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
muzicman0

Any chance on still seeing this implemented?  I am using the plugin Comskipper, which works fine, but it isn't really implemented in a way that gives good feedback (IE: I can't see commercial markers on the time line).  While the plugin works just fine, would be nice to get something that is just a but more integrated.

muzicman0

Yes, I am using the plugin, I am hoping for something more integrated.  The plugin works great, but it would be great to be able to show commercials on the time line.  I use that feature on Kodi all the time.