Commercial detection, or honor EDL?

muzicman0

AFAIK, Emby creates chapter markers based on EDL files so when a commercial starts you can skip to the next chapter. Has this changed?

muzicman0
6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

AFAIK, Emby creates chapter markers based on EDL files so when a commercial starts you can skip to the next chapter. Has this changed?

never worked that way for me.

I think it is this setting in MCEBuddy..

image.png.21db5fd004470acb5b2fa81982c56a95.png

image.png.2aa443f05b690524e87fff6238222dfe.png

It doesn't use an EDL per se but rather MCEBuddy will create a chapter marker if you check the Only detect Ads check box. I've done this in the past but now I've tweaked my comskip.ini to pretty accurately cut ads out for most all shows.

Edited by Sammy

@Spaceboy nailed the real NEED IMHO.

Personal opinion only following:

It's one thing to CUT commercials but another to just be able to keep the recording AS IS but detect commercials and skip them.  Some channels or shows just don't work well via comskip and you can end up missing part of your show if the commercial cutting goes a foul (doesn't work right).

If each and every client could download and use an EDL file then the client could show commercials on the timeline in red or something, skip them automatically BUT allow you to RW/FF in case the EDL is wrong.  This way it's pretty automated but you NEVER miss part of your show/movie.

This IMHO is a long awaited feature we should have.  Right now with a new Live TV release in waiting it doesn't make sense to add this but as each client will have to be changed to use the new Live TV features it would be a great time to incorporate this.  Generating the EDL files on the server is really easy.  Using them on the client is more complex.

Once EDL files are generated they could also be used to cut commercials as well but we can save that for another thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

chris4851
16 minutes ago, Sammy said:

True but for $30 for MCEBuddy that is possible now using Chapter Skip. Why wait?

Plex also does this now which is why I have gone back to plex for live TV functionality. Emby needs this to compete in the Live TV arena. MCEBuddy is just another program to manage and keep up with. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sammy said:

True but for $30 for MCEBuddy that is possible now using Chapter Skip. Why wait?

Because what they want can't be done with MCEBuddy.

Think looking at a movie or show and seeing the timeline color coded with the commercials as detected by comskip..

You set the client to AUTO SKIP commercial.  Something didn't go right in the commercial detection and you miss something critical.  If you cut the commercials there is nothing you can do about it but using EDL files the file is WHOLE so you can RW and play back what you missed.  Same with beginning of shows or end which comskip sometimes cuts off prematurely.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sammy said:

@cayars Sent you a PM, unrelated to this..

Does that mean I can ignore it then?  LOL

I responded btw. :)

sross44
2 hours ago, cayars said:

It's one thing to CUT commercials but another to just be able to keep the recording AS IS but detect commercials and skip them.  Some channels or shows just don't work well via comskip and you can end up missing part of your show if the commercial cutting goes a foul (doesn't work right).

Exactly this! Being able to just mark for skipping would be a huge bonus to an already great product in Emby Live TV. 

• Like 2

This is something as well as other Live TV/DVR enhancements we'll look at after we get the new version released with all the new core feature enhancements.

• Like 1

sross44
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

This is something as well as other Live TV/DVR enhancements we'll look at after we get the new version released with all the new core feature enhancements.

Awesome news! Hoping the Live TV/DVR enhancements drop soon. Looking forward to them! 

muzicman0
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

Any hints on when that will be (core feature enhancements)?

revengineer
18 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

I am not holding my breath. Revamped TV has literally been announced for years. (yes, years with plural 's').

• Like 2

SikSlayer
24 minutes ago, revengineer said:

I am not holding my breath. Revamped TV has literally been announced for years. (yes, years with plural 's').

As with so many other things when it comes to Emby, its always the same response...

Promised, but never comes.

48 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

29 minutes ago, revengineer said:

Been in alpha for 18 months. Been excruciatingly slow.

Spaceboy

its on its way :) from what i have seen softworkz has done some great things and has also been busy on some other tasks. he seems to be the hardest working dev on the staff as far as i can see. just spread a bit thinly for us users at the moment

in terms of comskip we actually used the scripterx plugin to get comskip working on recordings while they were in progress so that edl files are even created for in progress recordings and you could (in theory) use them to catch up on live shows. this mirrors how dvrmstoolbox used to work with WMC many years ago and i don't believe MCE buddy is able to do this. but clients need edl support. hopefully this will come.

in the UK were are lucky that our main channel doesnt have commercials and those that do have very fixed lengths so i always know its 8 presses of the skip button to avoid all the ads

rbjtech
18 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

in the UK were are lucky that our main channel doesnt have commercials and those that do have very fixed lengths so i always know its 8 presses of the skip button to avoid all the ads

lol - so it's not just me then that plays the 'skip challenge' to see if you can nail it every time .. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
AmiralRichter

+1 here too! Honoring EDL would be awesome... we (users) could even take care of the comskip postprocessing script and all. If Emby players could just highlight the detected comercials and/or auto-skip them and/or display a "skip commercials" button that would be sooo nice! Thanks devs!

pcubillos

We've been asking for this for a while. Not sure if it will ever come to fruition. The developer may not find this important enough. I've heard that Kodi will do it, but not that easy at least for me. Looking into Plex, but I don't think they do it either.

I really want it to remove certain parts of my movies so it can be more PG rated for young eyes and ears in the family.

Using EDL isn't going to change the rating of a movie or anything like that.  It's just going to help you skip commercial for things you record.

Of course removing all the ER & feminine hygiene products commercials is probably worth one rating bump in itself. LOL

Edited by cayars

AmiralRichter
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Using EDL isn't going to change the rating of a movie or anything like that.  It's just going to help you skip commercial for things you record.

I think what @pcubillos is saying is that if Emby understands EDL files, one could manually create an EDL file to skip certain parts of a movie. i.e. not necessarily recorded from live tv.

EDL is a simple text file containing a list of time pairs (in seconds) to identify cuts, chapters, sections to be muted or commercials.