Commercial detection, or honor EDL?

muzicman0

Channels DVR has remote access? I didn't know this.

I use MCEBuddy to post process my recordings, removing commercials, compressing to HEVC and moving/renaming them whereupon they show up in Emby's TV Series Library.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

pcubillos

I am looking for more advanced functionality. I want to remove vulgar words and scenes from the movie without editing the original file. Kids in the house. So EDL support would be the best option, unless someone can suggest a better option. Thanks

• Like 1

sfatula

I am looking for more advanced functionality. I want to remove vulgar words and scenes from the movie without editing the original file. Kids in the house. So EDL support would be the best option, unless someone can suggest a better option. Thanks

Yes, exactly what my use would be. Saves editing the original soundtrack which is what I do now. 

• 3 months later...
BillOatman

You have an app that will do that, or just create your own EDL file?

• 8 months later...
chris4851

Has this gone anywhere?  I've been using Plex for years and starting to have issues with Live TV on NVIDIA Shields.  So this led me to Emby.  So far Emby look to compete well with Plex, except for commercial skip.  This is one HUGE feature I use all the time.  This could be a deal breaker for me to stick it out with Plex and get rid of Emby.  Is this truly coming in the future or just all talk?  From the posts its been discussed for years with no progress it seems.

chris4851

Has this gone anywhere?  I've been using Plex for years and starting to have issues with Live TV on NVIDIA Shields.  So this led me to Emby.  So far Emby look to compete well with Plex, except for commercial skip.  This is one HUGE feature I use all the time.  This could be a deal breaker for me to stick it out with Plex and get rid of Emby.  Is this truly coming in the future or just all talk?  From the posts its been discussed for years with no progress it seems.

muzicman0

Not that I am aware of.  As a work around, I use Kodi on my Shield, and the Emby for Kodi add on (you could also use EmbyCon).  Set it up as Native file paths, and EDL files are honored.  The plus side is you get to use Kodi as the UI.  It has worked very well for me.

EDIT: You do have to generate your own EDL files, which isn't hard to do.

Edited by muzicman0

revengineer

Sadly this highly desired feature, just like other long awaited Live TV enhancements, has gone nowhere in the past years. I have not read the roadmap for emby (if one exists) but the 2020 updates have not given me much. I hope that the dev team will add more meaningful enhancements to their tasks in the near future.

revengineer
10 minutes ago, Sammy said:

MCEBuddy

Yes, I use MCEBuddy to cut the commercials but this is not always perfect and once in a while I loose a portion of a show. So I would like to keep the entire show and just identify the commercials, then have the player skip automatically over them.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, revengineer said:

Yes, I use MCEBuddy to cut the commercials but this is not always perfect and once in a while I loose a portion of a show. So I would like to keep the entire show and just identify the commercials, then have the player skip automatically over them.

You can setup MCEBuddy I think to mark chapters instead of cutting the commercials.

revengineer
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

You can setup MCEBuddy I think to mark chapters instead of cutting the commercials.

Yes, I think I saw a post showing how to do this. It still requires manual interaction, so automatic skipping like Kodi can do it using EDL files would be preferred. This way one has to only interfere in the few cases when the commercial detection is wrong.

pcubillos
On 12/26/2020 at 9:48 PM, muzicman0 said:

Not that I am aware of.  As a work around, I use Kodi on my Shield, and the Emby for Kodi add on (you could also use EmbyCon).  Set it up as Native file paths, and EDL files are honored.  The plus side is you get to use Kodi as the UI.  It has worked very well for me.

EDIT: You do have to generate your own EDL files, which isn't hard to do.

@MuzicMan,

I installed KODi and EmbyCon. I created a .edl file (NotePad) and placed the file (same name as movie) in the same folder as the movie on my server. For some reason the edl file does not mute the areas I marked (edl file attached). I could not find the comskip.ini to insert the code:

edl_skip_field=3

Not sure what I may be doing wrong. You mentioned "Native File Paths," but EmbyCon automatically points to all my movies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hancock.edl

Edited by pcubillos

muzicman0

I don't remember the exact option in embycon, but I will look (not at home, so I will have to remote in).  I have attached my comskip.ini file.  It should go in the same directory as comskip.exe.  It works fairly well in the US, but not 100%.  You can use it as a place to start though.

comskip.ini

muzicman0

I believe the EmbyCon option you need it 'Direct Streaming', or maybe 'Allow Direct Streaming'.  This will make it so that Kodi will play from the source instead of streaming from Emby.  One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to make sure Kodi has direct access to the files.  In my case, I use a Shared network drive (Smb).

• 3 weeks later...
nyplayer

Is this ever going to be implemented Native EDL .??.. this is the only DVR/MediaCenter  that does not support EDL Natively.

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 2

sross44
12 hours ago, nyplayer said:

Is this ever going to be implemented Native EDL .??.. this is the only DVR/MediaCenter  that does not support EDL Natively.

This is the one thing that has me going back to Plex just to watch my Live TV recordings. It'd be great if Emby incorporated this natively. I hope it isn't falling on deaf ears as it's something we've seen a lot of people chat about/request. I know there's a major update to Live TV supposedly happening soon. I keep hoping that this may be part of it, but I don't think so. 

• Like 2

It has not fallen on deaf ears. It is something we're interested in for future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

revengineer
On 1/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, sross44 said:

Both EDL file support as well as commercial detection would be extremely welcomed! 

There is no need for commercial detection in emby. This problem has been solved by comskip, and the emby dev team should not waste funds on reinventing the wheel so that select emby users can save $20.

sross44
13 minutes ago, revengineer said:

There is no need for commercial detection in emby. This problem has been solved by comskip, and the emby dev team should not waste funds on reinventing the wheel so that select emby users can save $20.

We can agree to disagree on that. It's not a matter of saving $20. It's a matter of having multiple programs to do something for the average person. Ease of use is an amazing thing for 99% of the world. I can easily explain to a non tech person how to use plex to detect commercials. Imagine doing that same thing in Emby with a non tech person having to utilize comskip first. I agree it's doable.... but why? In the long run something like that just generates more business for Emby as whole. You want EVERYONE being able to use your software, not just technical people. That is ultimately what makes a company grow and be more successful. I'm not asking for Emby to reinvent the wheel... but there's ways to leverage comskip inside the Emby app... Plex does it as well as others. 

Edited by sross44

Spaceboy

you can already leverage comskip inside of emby. the real problem is lack of support for edl files or any other way that comskip indicates what it has found

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, revengineer said:

Sure I had a paid version of MCEbuddy way before Emby, but it would be nice that Emby would use EDL files that are can be generated by MCEbuddy. 

• Like 1