HDHomeRun Premium TV

nyplayer

mlcarson

How does the tuner count work with respect to premium channels?   I see the Quattro will give you four because it has 4 tuners.  What if I have two HDHomerun Connect's which are dual tuner?  Does that give me four premium streams or just two?   I'm assuming that the multiple Connect's gets me up to 4 streams on Premium.

I'm also wondering if this will work on the very  oldest HDHR-US.   I've got one of the original white (dual tuner) HDHR-US which are basically the same as the Connect's but with separate antenna inputs for each tuner.  One of the best features of these HDHomerun tuners before Premium was that you could easily combine multiple antennas by assigning tuners to their own antenna and integrate the tuners transparently via software.   The new Quatro just has a single antenna input for all 4 tuners.

garyan2

Awesome news!

Do you need to tweak epg123 for this still?

Nope. It will work as-is.

I will still be incorporating the ability to create custom lineups... I just don't need to rush something out right now. I have time to create a GUI for the user to create their own custom lineup(s) rather than me providing lineups to use or manually editing the xml file.

garyan2

How does the tuner count work with respect to premium channels?   I see the Quattro will give you four because it has 4 tuners.  What if I have two HDHomerun Connect's which are dual tuner?  Does that give me four premium streams or just two?   I'm assuming that the multiple Connect's gets me up to 4 streams on Premium.

I'm also wondering if this will work on the very  oldest HDHR-US.   I've got one of the original white (dual tuner) HDHR-US which are basically the same as the Connect's but with separate antenna inputs for each tuner.  One of the best features of these HDHomerun tuners before Premium was that you could easily combine multiple antennas by assigning tuners to their own antenna and integrate the tuners transparently via software.   The new Quatro just has a single antenna input for all 4 tuners.

The 4 stream limit is per household and not limited to any single device (e.g. 2 duals or a quarto will still get you 4 streams; 10 duals and 0 quatros will still only get you 4 streams). As for the older model, no. Minimum is HDHR4 to be able to use the premium streams.

clarkss12

A couple of days ago, I struggled with getting the Live TV **lineup** to work with Emby.  Finally got frustrated and put it on the back burner.  Today, I figured I would give it another try.   I guess I WAS trying to make it harder to do, than it should.  As SHSPVR said, "You need have more then one device then besure that Enable for all tuner devices is check", I could not grasp that concept then, but now I do. 

Schedules Direct has added an Eastern and Pacific (I think that is what is called), so that makes it super simple to get Emby to work with that guide data.  I have a Connect and an Extend.  First, deleted everything, and started from scratch.  I added my Connect and selected the "Eastern HDHomeRun, lineup) from schedules direct.  It populated all the Premium channels with guide data, did not have to do any re-mapping at all, they were right on.  Then, still using only the Connect tuner, I added my OTA Schedules Direct line up, bingo, all the guide data populated, including my OTA channels.  Everything is perfect.

Next, I added my Extend back into the system.  All I had to do was just add the tuner, and select Enable for all turners........  Now both of my tuners work and I have a COMPLETE guide.

BIG OLE KUDOS TO SCHEDULES DIRECT!!

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

A couple of days ago, I struggled with getting the Live TV **lineup** to work with Emby.  Finally got frustrated and put it on the back burner.  Today, I figured I would give it another try.   I guess I WAS trying to make it harder to do, than it should.  As SHSPVR said, "You need have more then one device then besure that Enable for all tuner devices is check", I could not grasp that concept then, but now I do. 

Schedules Direct has added an Eastern and Pacific (I think that is what is called), so that makes it super simple to get Emby to work with that guide data.  I have a Connect and an Extend.  First, deleted everything, and started from scratch.  I added my Connect and selected the "Eastern HDHomeRun, lineup) from schedules direct.  It populated all the Premium channels with guide data, did not have to do any re-mapping at all, they were right on.  Then, still using only the Connect tuner, I added my OTA Schedules Direct line up, bingo, all the guide data populated, including my OTA channels.  Everything is perfect.

Next, I added my Extend back into the system.  All I had to do was just add the tuner, and select Enable for all turners........  Now both of my tuners work and I have a COMPLETE guide.

BIG OLE KUDOS TO SCHEDULES DIRECT!!

Thanks for letting us know the eastern/pacific lineups are up. I will try that so should make it simpler. Maybe using one of my Extend devices for Eastern and the other for Pacific will work out. I guess the only potential issue may be recording conflicts since there will only be two tuners available for each zone. If there are 3 Pacific channels with shows I want to record at the same time, could be an issue, I guess we'll see.

garyan2

@@clarkss12 and @@jasonmcroy,

You guys are making this way harder than it is. You don't need multiple devices, you just need to enable multiple lineups to each device (your OTA and the new HDHomeRun Premium TV lineup from Schedules Direct). You don't need both the East and West lineups because the correct "Pacific" and "Eastern" channels are in those new lineups. You just have to figure out which lineup is correct for your location.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

You guys are making this way harder than it is. You don't need multiple devices, you just need to enable multiple lineups to each device (your OTA and the new HDHomeRun Premium TV lineup from Schedules Direct). You don't need both the East and West lineups because the correct "Pacific" and "Eastern" channels are in those new lineups. You just have to figure out which lineup is correct for your location.

Yes, I was just coming here to make this known. When you use either lineup it has the correct listings for Pacific or Eastern within the one lineup. I didn't know that until I added it and then looked at it from the map channels pop-up. That is awesome! Easy enough now!

clarkss12

That is exactly what I did.

garyan2

That is exactly what I did.

You are right, my apologies. That is exactly what you said you did. I got stuck on this idea that you are required to have multiple devices which isn't true and you actually proved by being able to setup your Connect all by itself and then adding the Extend later.

This isn't entirely accurate. Unless someone can point out something I am doing wrong, you have to add 3 lineups because the channels that come in from Silicondust are partially Eastern feeds and Pacific feeds. So, you have to have an OTA lineup, an Eastern cable lineup and a Pacific cable lineup.

However, since Emby auto detects the channels and you can't delete any from your mapping, there is an issue if the cable feed you're using has the same channel number for one network on both the two separate lineups. Then you end up with an overlap that I haven't been able to figure out how to fix.

Example: The Syfy channel has the Pacific feed but my local cable feed and the Pacific cable feed both use 1411 as the channel number so both guides automatically select that from Schedules Direct. Since I can't delete the mapping from the map channels pop-up I end up with the Eastern guide data for the Syfy Channel instead of the Pacific so the guide is still off.

I hope that makes sense. Bottom line - I can't get it to easily map all the channels correctly. It works for most of them, but a few are still off.

If we could delete a matched channel within the map channels pop-up, that would solve it but I haven't found a way to do that.

If Emby gets it wrong, just open the proper EPG source and use that to remap the channel.  This is the easy way to "over write" anything Emby gets wrong trying to auto load it for you.

I got a message from schedules direct that they will be adding 2 lineups (East and West) of the HDHomeRun Premium TV to the available listings. They should be available tonight for consumption.

It's live and working already.

Don't overthink it.  SD give you 4 simultaneous streams that can be used on any number of devices you register with them.  You could have one Quatro or 10 Connects and it doesn't matter.  Which ever device asks for the stream gets it up to the limit of 4.

Scott D

A few quick questions for anyone with a currently working system:

What is the data usage for a connection to one of the HD Premium channels? 

Does it vary from channel to channel?

Will Emby transcode or in some way reduce the bandwidth requirement when streaming outside the local network?

Reason for the question is the dat cap imposed by my local ISP.  If I am pulling a 7Mbs stream to get the channel in and another 7Mbs to get the stream out, I could blow through the monthly allotment quickly.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Will Emby transcode or in some way reduce the bandwidth requirement when streaming outside the local network?

Yes,

clarkss12

A few quick questions for anyone with a currently working system:

What is the data usage for a connection to one of the HD Premium channels? 

Does it vary from channel to channel?

Reason for the question is the dat cap imposed by my local ISP.  If I am pulling a 7Mbs stream to get the channel in and another 7Mbs to get the stream out, I could blow through the monthly allotment quickly.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

From my experience, the data bit rate stream is very low compared to, say OTA streaming.  None of those streams will approach 3 Mbps, which in some regards, isn't good.  For instance, I watched/recorded the pre-season NFL game on ESPN and it was around 2.5 Mbps vs, if it was from an OTA stream, it would have been around 17 Mbps.  So, the visual quality was not the greatest, especially on a 4k TV.  They are ecoded in H264.

So, you can do a lot of streaming with the Premium channels without toooo much worry about going over your data cap.  Comcast in my area has a one terabyte/per month cap.

Scott D

From my experience, the data bit rate stream is very low compared to, say OTA streaming.  None of those streams will approach 3 Mbps, which in some regards, isn't good.  For instance, I watched/recorded the pre-season NFL game on ESPN and it was around 2.5 Mbps vs, if it was from an OTA stream, it would have been around 17 Mbps.  So, the visual quality was not the greatest, especially on a 4k TV.  They are ecoded in H264.

So, you can do a lot of streaming with the Premium channels without toooo much worry about going over your data cap.  Comcast in my area has a one terabyte/per month cap.

Thanks for that info.  That helps greatly.  I have been trying the DirecTV Now app and it sucks up some serious bandwidth.  The video quality is good, but can consume a fair amount of data if watching a few streams for an extended period of time.  It would be nice to have the functionality of DirecTV built into Emby, which it sounds as if this might be the solution.

clarkss12

I made a video using the Emby app running the HDHomeRun Premium TV.  I said the lifetime subscription was $120/per MONTH, hope no one notices.  One of the "quirks" is the guide data only goes out about a day.  Have to go to the **calendar* to select a day, is this correct or am I using a wrong client??

Scott D

I made a video using the Emby app running the HDHomeRun Premium TV.  I said the lifetime subscription was $120/per MONTH, hope no one notices.  One of the "quirks" is the guide data only goes out about a day.  Have to go to the **calendar* to select a day, is this correct or am I using a wrong client??

Great job.  I just ordered the hardware and will be giving it a shot.  Thanks for the prior info as well.

Well you obviously was using the HDHomeRun app itself.

Most of us would be using an Emby client with the Emby server setup to use the HDHomeRun.  We get the benefit of being able to share tuners, record, time shift (pause, rewind, fast forward) as well as be able to stream outside the home.

Quality would be the same.

clarkss12

Well you obviously was using the HDHomeRun app itself.

Most of us would be using an Emby client with the Emby server setup to use the HDHomeRun.  We get the benefit of being able to share tuners, record, time shift (pause, rewind, fast forward) as well as be able to stream outside the home.

Quality would be the same.

I have no idea what you are saying.  The HDHomeRun Premium TV channels are delivered in a very low bitrate, no matter which app you use, the HDHomeRun or the Emby app.  Play one of the Premium channels, then from a Windows internet explorer app, like Chrome, open the HDHomeRun web page and look at the tuner status.  It will tell you the bitrate. 

Yes totally agree on the bitrates.  I was only commenting because you said "is this correct or am I using a wrong client??" and I was just commenting you weren't using anything Emby which of course would affect the number of days that show up in the Guide.

There is also another issue IMHO with the Premium TV feeds.  Everything is 29.97 (30ish) fps vs 60 fps which can be a big deal on sports or action movies.  They are "throwing away" half the temporal resolution on these channels.  This will make a difference on a channel like ESPN for example which has Monday Night Football this year.

SD is aware of this and the low bitrates and are going to work to improve it.

Spaceboy

This isn't entirely accurate. Unless someone can point out something I am doing wrong, you have to add 3 lineups because the channels that come in from Silicondust are partially Eastern feeds and Pacific feeds. So, you have to have an OTA lineup, an Eastern cable lineup and a Pacific cable lineup.

However, since Emby auto detects the channels and you can't delete any from your mapping, there is an issue if the cable feed you're using has the same channel number for one network on both the two separate lineups. Then you end up with an overlap that I haven't been able to figure out how to fix.

Example: The Syfy channel has the Pacific feed but my local cable feed and the Pacific cable feed both use 1411 as the channel number so both guides automatically select that from Schedules Direct. Since I can't delete the mapping from the map channels pop-up I end up with the Eastern guide data for the Syfy Channel instead of the Pacific so the guide is still off.

I hope that makes sense. Bottom line - I can't get it to easily map all the channels correctly. It works for most of them, but a few are still off.

If we could delete a matched channel within the map channels pop-up, that would solve it but I haven't found a way to do that.

i reported this to Luke several months ago. He has so far declined to do anything about it

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58456-break-link-between-epg-and-channel/&do=findComment&comment=576500

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy

If Emby gets it wrong, just open the proper EPG source and use that to remap the channel.  This is the easy way to "over write" anything Emby gets wrong trying to auto load it for you.

and how do you propose you fix channels that have no matching epg and should be left unmatched. Luke's overzealous matching and the lack of ability to unmatch a lineup leaves you with a guide full of incorrect information

I was just commenting you weren't using anything Emby which of course would affect the number of days that show up in the Guide.

His video is using Emby for Android TV.

One of the "quirks" is the guide data only goes out about a day.  Have to go to the **calendar* to select a day, is this correct

Yes, that is the way it is currently designed.  Most people are just looking at the next few hours and, if you want to look out a couple of days, it would actually be faster and more accurate to select the day from the picker than to try to scroll right until you found it.

and how do you propose you fix channels that have no matching epg and should be left unmatched. Luke's overzealous matching and the lack of ability to unmatch a lineup leaves you with a guide full of incorrect information

We have stated on numerous occasions that channel management features will be revamped and improved.  We apologize that everything we want to do isn't already done.

Spaceboy

We have stated on numerous occasions that channel management features will be revamped and improved.  We apologize that everything we want to do isn't already done.

sorry ebr, i am not sure if you are talking from a position of ignorance here but that is not the case here. This was a change that @@Luke has made over the last few years. it never used to do this. so its a change that can be reversed with as little thought that was put into implementing it in the first place

and anyway the reply was not to you, just pointing out to other people things that they have not appreciated

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1