DLNA not working (Windows server)

kangmingsi

kangmingsi

On a fresh install of Emby Server 3.5.2.0 on Windows 10 I'm unable to access my test media library via DLNA. WIth an iPhone (iOS 11.4.1) none of the apps I've tried that claim to support DLNA detect an Emby DLNA stream (Glider, Nplayer, 8player). Invoking refresh a billion times on the apps hasn't helped. Likewise on an Android tablet running BubbleUpnP. These apps/devices do see and access files on another DLNA server on the network.

In Emby Server I have checked "Enable Dlna server" and "Blast alive messages," and I've tried knocking the Alive message interval way down to make sure blasting happens during my refresh attempts. I've restarted the server. Port 1900 is open.

Emby otherwise works (I think). I can access the test library from the iPhone via Chrome at the server URL* The Emby app looks ok but I'd like the flexibility to use alternative apps via DLNA and I hope to use a receiver I have that has decent DLNA support as well.

I can't find any basic guide to using DLNA with Emby--has anyone written one? The wiki shows "coming soon" in the DLNA section, but is there a 1-2-3 somewhere else that I'm missing?

Log file attached.

-Steve

*Off topic, but just in case there's a quick fix: AAC files won't play via iPhone browsers (Chrome or Safari). I get a "Playback Error -- No compatible streams..." message on the phone. The Emby iPhone app seems to play the AAC streams but I haven't paid for it yet. Vorbis and mp3 files do play. Any suggestions for browser playback of AAC?

Emby server log sc 2018-08-11.txt

Hi, try knocking the interval to 30 and restart the server. See if that makes a difference. Thanks.

kangmingsi

Spectacular--after resetting the interval to 30 and re-restarting the server it's working fine now. Those AAC files that the browser can't render are playing perfectly via DLNA. Thanks very much for the quick response. I'm very pleased with Emby so far here on day 1, and will be buying a license if all continues to go well over the next week or so.

PS: Should AAC files play in iPhone browsers? If not, just for curiosity's sake, what's the reason?

It looks like aac in ios browsers is only supported when used in the m4a container. in the aac container we will have to make sure those get transcoded. thanks.