Video Streams Freezing

ShadowKindjal

ShadowKindjal

In the previous version was there a workaround for this issue because I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest revision 

tdiguy

In the previous version was there a workaround for this issue because I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest revision 

The workaround used to be simply restarting emby server roughly on a daily basis but if i remember right it was primarily a hard drive cache issue not really ram. Course this being a linux box you could easily make a bash script to restart emby and then use cron to execute it daily. Not sure if it would help in this case.

ShadowKindjal

Thank you. I'll implement that tonight. Hopefully this will mitigate the problem for now.

The issue is there high number of ffmpeg processes. I would suggest trying again with the next release. Thanks.

ShadowKindjal

The issue is there high number of ffmpeg processes. I would suggest trying again with the next release. Thanks.

I apologize for pestering but do you know when the next release will become available. The issue just seems to be getting worse. I'm currently on version 3.4.1.0

I don't have an ETA but if you need immediate relief you can always try the beta server. Thanks.

ShadowKindjal

I don't have an ETA but if you need immediate relief you can always try the beta server. Thanks.

No, thank you. I appreciate the support. I just upgraded to the beta server. Hopefully this will alleviate my issues while I wait for the next stable release.

• 1 month later...
ShadowKindjal

It has been a couple months but I wanted to let you guys I still seem to be affected by this issue. When watching videos on my Android phone, in the app or on the website, my video stream freezes after about one minute. Changing the streaming quality instantly resumes the video, otherwise I have to wait another minute or so for the video stream to start playing again. I briefly noticed this issue on my desktop the other day, however, the video played for a much longer period of time before freezing and didn't stop for anywhere near as long. Restarting the server seemed to fix this issue. Would you guys have any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue? As you can imagine, having a video stream pause every minute can be really annoying. I'm running the latest stable build right now, 3.5.2.0.

mastrmind11

It has been a couple months but I wanted to let you guys I still seem to be affected by this issue. When watching videos on my Android phone, in the app or on the website, my video stream freezes after about one minute. Changing the streaming quality instantly resumes the video, otherwise I have to wait another minute or so for the video stream to start playing again. I briefly noticed this issue on my desktop the other day, however, the video played for a much longer period of time before freezing and didn't stop for anywhere near as long. Restarting the server seemed to fix this issue. Would you guys have any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue? As you can imagine, having a video stream pause every minute can be really annoying. I'm running the latest stable build right now, 3.5.2.0.

Wired or wireless?

ShadowKindjal

The android phone is wireless but the desktop I temporarily experienced the issue on is wired, and of course the server is wired as well.

ShadowKindjal

Also, I checked the bandwidth of my phone while I was experiencing this issue and the throughput was over 100 Mbit up and down

Edited by nharmon

mastrmind11

You mentioned originally that you're running a ZFS mirrored pool, but also mentioned you were new to Linux at the time.  That said, did you just leave pool settings to default?  I assume you didn't play with blocksize, etc?

Try this as a test:  run this command on your server:

zpool iostat your_pool 2

which will sample the iops every 2 seconds.  Let it run, and then start streaming some media.  Note the bandwidth column and anything that doesn't seem right.

You could also try spinning up an Emby docker image just to rule out whether your original install is borked.

ShadowKindjal

You mentioned originally that you're running a ZFS mirrored pool, but also mentioned you were new to Linux at the time.  That said, did you just leave pool settings to default?  I assume you didn't play with blocksize, etc?

zpool iostat your_pool 2

which will sample the iops every 2 seconds.  Let it run, and then start streaming some media.  Note the bandwidth column and anything that doesn't seem right.

You could also try spinning up an Emby docker image just to rule out whether your original install is borked.

Yes, all the settings on my zfs pool are completely stock. I didn't mess with any of the settings. I don't know why I didn't think about running an iostat before but something definitely seems to be going on. I ran the command on a one second interval and I can see the read activity when I start a stream from my phone but the activity stops after about six seconds. Forty seconds later my video stream paused. I selected a different quality profile on my phone and the activity resumes along with the video but the activity only lasts for another six seconds. I've attached the photos below. I'm currently at work so I'll see if I can attempt a Docker installation later tonight.

post-30494-0-13175500-1533753318_thumb.png

post-30494-0-22976000-1533753327_thumb.png

ShadowKindjal

Hi, let's look at a new example. please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

The streams I am referring to started at 8/8/18 at 14:20

I attached three short ffmpeg logs in addition to the server log of today. I had to compress the server log because it was over the 90MB limit.

ffmpeg-transcode-68b5fbfe-390c-4943-ad19-ac17e3f22c14.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-d533023e-a6cf-4489-baa7-8676cf5903f9.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ff1a06ab-31ea-467b-906b-078a2f26165b.txt

embyserver.zip

Edited by nharmon

What Emby app are you playing with? In some of these logs the transcoding just isn't happening fast enough and that could definitely account for freezing.

ShadowKindjal

I've had issues with the web app (computer and phone) and the Android app. Is there any reason why the transcoding isn't happening fast enough and any way for me to resolve this? I would think that my eight core Xeon is more than capable. The freezing happens regardless of the number of other users that are streaming at the time.

Is this iptv? it could be related to how fast the data is coming from the remote server. you could also try removing these plugins:

Statistics 2.0.5.1
	Playback Reporting 1.0.18.0

ShadowKindjal

No, this is all content located locally. I'll attempt removing those plugins and report back shortly.

ShadowKindjal

zpool iostat your_pool 2

I set up a docker image and restored my server from a backup. I am still having the same issue. Please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

mastrmind11

I set up a docker image and restored my server from a backup. I am still having the same issue. Please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

The server is a beefed up Xeon, so transocding should not be an issue, but @@Luke seemed to think the server could not keep up.  I didn't look at the logs and won't, but I wonder @@Luke why did you think that?  I would've thought the docker setup would've proved a messed up install....  so we've proven that

1) Your server is more than capable of transcoding

2) Your local network is more than capable of the bitrate

3)  Your external connection is more than capable of the bitrate

4)  Docker exhibits the same behavior, which rules out a jacked install

What if you stick a media file somewhere that's not in the ZFS pool and add it to your library + try streaming it?  Need to rule out ZFS as the culprit.

ShadowKindjal

The server is a beefed up Xeon, so transocding should not be an issue, but @@Luke seemed to think the server could not keep up.  I didn't look at the logs and won't, but I wonder @@Luke why did you think that?  I would've thought the docker setup would've proved a messed up install....  so we've proven that

1) Your server is more than capable of transcoding

2) Your local network is more than capable of the bitrate

3)  Your external connection is more than capable of the bitrate

4)  Docker exhibits the same behavior, which rules out a jacked install

What if you stick a media file somewhere that's not in the ZFS pool and add it to your library + try streaming it?  Need to rule out ZFS as the culprit.

I placed a media file on a local SSD and attempted streaming but it resulted in the same issue.

Edited by nharmon

ShadowKindjal

I also noticed this happens regardless of whether my server is transcoding it seems. The stream even freezes when I play the media over "Auto - Direct" as well.