81 replies to this topic

#21 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

I noticed that myself too and was actually about to investigate what in the world could be using so much memory when a storm temporally knocked out the power. However, the memory is only at 2GB now after reboot. I'm going to continue monitoring it to see if it spikes again. I'm still completely confused as to what could be causing this playback issue tho.

#22 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

On thing I am noticing right away is that the memory usage spikes when I start playing a video (it jumped from 2GB to 5GB) but if I stop playing the video the increased memory usage is maintained even if I restart the emby service.

#23 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:29 AM

Is it normal for FFMPEG to have 56 separate instances in htop using 2.4 GB of RAM?

#24 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2675 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:16 AM

Is it normal for FFMPEG to have 56 separate instances in htop using 2.4 GB of RAM?

No.  What version of emby are you running?  In a previous version, some users encountered a memory issue like you're describing.

#25 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

I'm currently using Version 3.4.1.0

#26 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

In the previous version was there a workaround for this issue because I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest revision 

#27 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1129 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:20 PM

In the previous version was there a workaround for this issue because I'm pretty sure I'm using the latest revision 

The workaround used to be simply restarting emby server roughly on a daily basis but if i remember right it was primarily a hard drive cache issue not really ram. Course this being a linux box you could easily make a bash script to restart emby and then use cron to execute it daily. Not sure if it would help in this case.

#28 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thank you. I'll implement that tonight. Hopefully this will mitigate the problem for now.

#29 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:24 AM

Is there an chance of a fix for this memory leak issue in a future update?

#30 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129330 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

The issue is there high number of ffmpeg processes. I would suggest trying again with the next release. Thanks.

#31 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

The issue is there high number of ffmpeg processes. I would suggest trying again with the next release. Thanks.

I apologize for pestering but do you know when the next release will become available. The issue just seems to be getting worse. I'm currently on version 3.4.1.0

#32 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129330 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

I don't have an ETA but if you need immediate relief you can always try the beta server. Thanks.

#33 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

I don't have an ETA but if you need immediate relief you can always try the beta server. Thanks.

No, thank you. I appreciate the support. I just upgraded to the beta server. Hopefully this will alleviate my issues while I wait for the next stable release.

#34 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

It has been a couple months but I wanted to let you guys I still seem to be affected by this issue. When watching videos on my Android phone, in the app or on the website, my video stream freezes after about one minute. Changing the streaming quality instantly resumes the video, otherwise I have to wait another minute or so for the video stream to start playing again. I briefly noticed this issue on my desktop the other day, however, the video played for a much longer period of time before freezing and didn't stop for anywhere near as long. Restarting the server seemed to fix this issue. Would you guys have any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue? As you can imagine, having a video stream pause every minute can be really annoying. I'm running the latest stable build right now, 3.5.2.0.

#35 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2675 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:44 PM

It has been a couple months but I wanted to let you guys I still seem to be affected by this issue. When watching videos on my Android phone, in the app or on the website, my video stream freezes after about one minute. Changing the streaming quality instantly resumes the video, otherwise I have to wait another minute or so for the video stream to start playing again. I briefly noticed this issue on my desktop the other day, however, the video played for a much longer period of time before freezing and didn't stop for anywhere near as long. Restarting the server seemed to fix this issue. Would you guys have any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue? As you can imagine, having a video stream pause every minute can be really annoying. I'm running the latest stable build right now, 3.5.2.0.

Wired or wireless?

#36 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

The android phone is wireless but the desktop I temporarily experienced the issue on is wired, and of course the server is wired as well.

#37 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:46 PM

Also, I checked the bandwidth of my phone while I was experiencing this issue and the throughput was over 100 Mbit up and down

Edited by nharmon, 08 August 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#38 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129330 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

Hi, let's look at a new example. please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

#39 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2675 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

You mentioned originally that you're running a ZFS mirrored pool, but also mentioned you were new to Linux at the time.  That said, did you just leave pool settings to default?  I assume you didn't play with blocksize, etc?

Try this as a test:  run this command on your server:

zpool iostat your_pool 2

which will sample the iops every 2 seconds.  Let it run, and then start streaming some media.  Note the bandwidth column and anything that doesn't seem right.

You could also try spinning up an Emby docker image just to rule out whether your original install is borked.

#40 nharmon OFFLINE  

nharmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

You mentioned originally that you're running a ZFS mirrored pool, but also mentioned you were new to Linux at the time.  That said, did you just leave pool settings to default?  I assume you didn't play with blocksize, etc?

Try this as a test:  run this command on your server:

zpool iostat your_pool 2

which will sample the iops every 2 seconds.  Let it run, and then start streaming some media.  Note the bandwidth column and anything that doesn't seem right.

You could also try spinning up an Emby docker image just to rule out whether your original install is borked.

Yes, all the settings on my zfs pool are completely stock. I didn't mess with any of the settings. I don't know why I didn't think about running an iostat before but something definitely seems to be going on. I ran the command on a one second interval and I can see the read activity when I start a stream from my phone but the activity stops after about six seconds. Forty seconds later my video stream paused. I selected a different quality profile on my phone and the activity resumes along with the video but the activity only lasts for another six seconds. I've attached the photos below. I'm currently at work so I'll see if I can attempt a Docker installation later tonight.

Attached File  iostat original.png   147.93KB   2 downloads

Attached File  iostat on resume.png   114.92KB   1 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frozen, Freezeing, Streaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users