Video Streams Freezing

ShadowKindjal

doonze

Ok, try this.

I'm guessing since you have a monster server, you likely have a pretty decent router? I have a R8000 Nighthawk, when I bought it it was king of the hill. For some reason my QOS (that's on by default) was playing havoc with Emby on my network. I googled but there are not many options with QOS on these surprisingly. I had to turn QOS off on my router. That's sad cause the hype was that this thing had killer QOS that could really help streaming. 

This was a few years ago, so I don't remember exact details, but my best guess at the time was that for some reason it's wasn't correctly identifying my Emby stream as video. As soon as I turned off QOS everything worked normal! But until I did, I had issues exactly like yours!!! Worth a try. 

Edited by doonze
  • Like 1

ShadowKindjal

Ok, try this.

I'm guessing since you have a monster server, you likely have a pretty decent router? I have a R8000 Nighthawk, when I bought it it was king of the hill. For some reason my QOS (that's on by default) was playing havoc with Emby on my network. I googled but there are not many options with QOS on these surprisingly. I had to turn QOS off on my router. That's sad cause the hype was that this thing had killer QOS that could really help streaming. 

This was a few years ago, so I don't remember exact details, but my best guess at the time was that for some reason it's wasn't correctly identifying my Emby stream as video. As soon as I turned off QOS everything worked normal! But until I did, I had issues exactly like yours!!! Worth a try. 

That's the one culprit I didn't even think of. Issue is that the router I'm currently using is the stock router provided to me from Frontier. It does support QOS but I apparently have to contact technical support to make any changes to this setting. I'll report back if I have any luck on this front. Thank you doonze.

doonze

Hmmm.... I learned my lesson about routers from ISP's... LOL. I now buy my own modem from Walmart and my own router. My ISP does lock down even my personally owned modem (even down to the firmware), but at least I have full access to my router. In most cases there is not even a way to bypass the router on IPS issued crap. 

If you're feeling adventurous, do you have any old routers laying about? Or have a friend with one you could borrow for testing?  You could hook a new router in (you won't have internet tho :( ) and just test a local stream.... You wouldn't even need to config it much, just enough to see your Emby server from another device. If issues persisted with the new router, then your problem lies somewhere in your disk I/O I suspect. 

Other than network issues, the only other thing that jumps out at me is something in the I/O. Something like the read request isn't staying active and times out. 

You've eliminated your installation as the problem, so it has to be network or I/O related in my opinion..... but take that with a grain of salt, I'm no expert.

Edited by doonze

ShadowKindjal

I agree that the issue seems to be network related. As for the IO issue it's possible that this was caused by a dropped network connection I assume. Only thing is this issue persists on the external and local network. I do, however, have an Edgerouter X laying around somewhere. If I get a chance I'll attempt to replace my current router and see how it fairs. I just fear that it may not be powerful enough to handle all that traffic.

mastrmind11

I agree that the issue seems to be network related. As for the IO issue it's possible that this was caused by a dropped network connection I assume. Only thing is this issue persists on the external and local network. I do, however, have an Edgerouter X laying around somewhere. If I get a chance I'll attempt to replace my current router and see how it fairs. I just fear that it may not be powerful enough to handle all that traffic.

You have an edgerouter sitting around and you're using your ISP issued router?  :o   dude, plug that thing in!  It's plenty powerful, likely more so than the ISP junk you're using.

edit:  Also just noticed you're on Frontier, which I assume is also fiber like FiOS?  If that's the case, do you have ethernet coming out of your ONT?  If so, you don't need that router at all (unless you're using DVRs).  I dumped the FiOS router and have a Unifi USG sitting at the edge of my network and it works perfectly.

Edited by mastrmind11

ShadowKindjal

You have an edgerouter sitting around and you're using your ISP issued router?  :o   dude, plug that thing in!  It's plenty powerful, likely more so than the ISP junk you're using.

edit:  Also just noticed you're on Frontier, which I assume is also fiber like FiOS?  If that's the case, do you have ethernet coming out of your ONT?  If so, you don't need that router at all (unless you're using DVRs).  I dumped the FiOS router and have a Unifi USG sitting at the edge of my network and it works perfectly.

It was previously out of my control haha. The original reason I was using it was because we had some cable boxes thru Frontier and it was hooked up thru Coax. We have since switched to internet TV and I just finished rewiring the building with Ethernet. Switching out the router after doing all of this never crossed my mind. So yes, the router is hooked up via Ethernet to the ONT. The Edgrerouter X isn't mine though. A friend was having issues setting it up, gave it to me to config, and then promptly forgot. Although it got me intrigued. I currently use Unifi APs already so I've been eyeballing a USG for future expandability. Plus, it'd be nice to do away with POE injectors all together.

Edited by nharmon
  • Like 1

I didn't look at the logs and won't, but I wonder @@Luke why did you think that?  

I was mixed up with another topic so by not keeping up I meant more of a network related problem with iptv, but these are just local videos.

ShadowKindjal

I was mixed up with another topic so by not keeping up I meant more of a network related problem with iptv, but these are just local videos.

I guess I'll just have to hope the router is the problem because I don't know what else it could be.

ShadowKindjal

I wasn't expecting it to make much of a difference though, considering that I was having this issue on the LAN as well, but hey, I have an Edgerouter now. Do you guys know of anything else that could be causing this issue?

Edited by nharmon

doonze

Well shoot, I was really suspecting your router. I mean I was having your EXACT issues, and it was all due to QOS. 

I still think something is playing havoc with your network. Might try (I cringe to say this) downloading Plex and seeing if it also gives you issues. At least it would give extra clues.... 

ShadowKindjal

Well shoot, I was really suspecting your router. I mean I was having your EXACT issues, and it was all due to QOS. 

I still think something is playing havoc with your network. Might try (I cringe to say this) downloading Plex and seeing if it also gives you issues. At least it would give extra clues.... 

Maybe, and it seems I was mistaken about which apps were having issues. It seems to be affect all devices streaming from my server. I really like emby too, and I have a lifetime subscription, but in many it's just become unusable.

mastrmind11

what happens if plop a video on your box and try playing it directly w/ something like VLC instead of going through Emby?

ShadowKindjal

Video plays perfectly when I play it from the server locally. It also plays just fine over my LAN (not through emby) within a shared directory. There is also consistent reads in iostat as I'm playing the video. If my Emby installation were to be compromised and I restored the docker install of emby with a backup of my main install would that have botched the docker install as well?

Edited by nharmon

ShadowKindjal

Mastrmind had me install Emby on docker. I used the configuration files from the emby server I'm having issues with to simplify the set-up. I'm wondering if it's possible for something within my configuration that could be corrupted that caused issues on both my Linux and docker install.

doonze

Worth giving the docker install a fresh install and don't use any backups for testing. More info is always better.

• 2 weeks later...
ShadowKindjal

In a last attempt to get my server working I apt purged the whole thing and installed a fresh version of the latest, stable release of emby and I'm still having the same issues. I didn't restore any information via the server config tool yet playback still freezes. For now I"ll just have to continue using Plex until I figure this out because I'm able to use that with no streaming issues at all. I haven't deleted emby completely because I much prefer it and will switch back as soon as I can.

ShadowKindjal

What do you mean compromised?

Is there anything else that you could think of that's causing this issue or any other log you might need to diagnosis this further?

Everything looks ok to me. You could also try disabling server features that you are not using. Thanks.

ShadowKindjal

Everything looks ok to me. You could also try disabling server features that you are not using. Thanks.

What features would you be referring to? I'm confused as to what I could disable since I'm having the same issues on a fresh install of emby as well. 

ShadowKindjal

Dlna features for one.

I've disabled every extra Emby feature I wasn't making use of and removed all the plugins I didn't need and I'm still having this playback issue. I wasn't expecting it to work but, at this point, I feel like I've done everything short of wiping my whole Linux server and starting fresh. I apologize for all this back and forth but would you happen to have any more suggestions. 

ShadowKindjal

@@Luke, I saw a comment on another thread about a dedicated transcoding SSD which got me thinking. You previously said that it looked like my server was not transcoding fast enough which I dismissed because of my Xeon processor. My boot drive is on an SSD and that is also where Emby is installed. Now, when playing from my phone I am able to transcode at 480p @ 1Mbps but as soon as I bump the quality to 1080p or even just 720p @ 4Mbps I run into the streaming issue. My question is could a failing SSD be the root cause of all of these issues? It would make sense that I'm only affected on some devices and not all depending on whether the content would have to be streamed. I believe it may also explain the weird output of iostat on my zpool as well.