#21 Kayser-Sosa OFFLINE  

Kayser-Sosa

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 11:32 PM
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

Does the emby user have a password?

My media is stored on a samba share and I have local users with the same passwords setup across all devices, so the shares work.  If I create the emby user on the samba system and grant the rights there...

#22 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153496 posts
  • Local time: 12:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

No, it doesn't.

#23 Kayser-Sosa OFFLINE  

Kayser-Sosa

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

@mastrmind11

@makarai

I recently changed my file structure.  I moved all my media from a samba share on an Ubuntu server to a Windows (SMB) share on a FreeNAS box.  I have the Emby server running on an Ubuntu virtual on the FreeNAS box, yes I know you can setup docker or the plugin (future idea for me to tinker with).  All my shares work without issue on my other windows and linux systems and even on the emby server where the share is setup using the commands at the bottom.

I am still getting the permissions error when setting save images and nfos files to the media directories.  So I am wondering if any of the following options might fix this?

I believe it was mentioned that the emby user on the emby server does not have a password.  Would it break the system if I added a password to the emby user?  My thinking is I can then create the emby user on the FreeNAS box with the password and add it to the same groups as the main login user of the share on the emby box.  Not able to add a user without a password on FreeNAS.

If the emby user is added to a group on the emby server, such as the group of the share user, do you think this might work?  I think I have tried in the past without luck.

Is there something else that I'm not thinking of or seeing, or other info that I could give about my setup that might help get this permissions issue fixed?

Share setup

Install CIFS

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

Create share folder

sudo mkdir /media/Movies

Edit fstab

sudo nano /etc/fstab

add the following line to the bottom of the fstab

//<server ip>/<share name> /media/Movies cifs credentials=/home/<username>/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

Creating .smbcredentials file

sudo nano ~/.smbcredentials

add the following lines to the file and save

username=<username, same as main login to the emby server and for the share>

password=<password of user>

Lock permissions to the file to user only

sudo chmod 600 ~/.smbcredentials

Mount the share

sudo mount -a

#24 Kayser-Sosa OFFLINE  

Kayser-Sosa

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

So I think I have finally solved the issue.

edited my fstab file

it was this

//<server ip>/<share name> /media/Movies cifs credentials=/home/<username>/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

it is now this

//<server ip>/<share name> /media/Movies cifs credentials=/home/<username>/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

Rebooted my emby server just for good measure and mounted again.  pics, nfs, and srt files are now saving in the directories.

I had tried this before without luck, but I may have had a corrupt server in there somewhere which was why it never wanted to work and kept messing me up.

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153496 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

that's great, thanks for sharing !

#26 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3018 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

So I think I have finally solved the issue.

edited my fstab file

it was this

it is now this

//<server ip>/<share name> /media/Movies cifs credentials=/home/<username>/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

Rebooted my emby server just for good measure and mounted again.  pics, nfs, and srt files are now saving in the directories.

I had tried this before without luck, but I may have had a corrupt server in there somewhere which was why it never wanted to work and kept messing me up.

Yeah smb sucks on linux.  If you aren't constrained by windows disks, look into converting to nfs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metadata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users