Play button missing in Gamebrowser3 after latest update

ArCaDe

blixt99

Hey ebr and Red. As I said in my post on 3/23, everything in Game Browser Classic was working just fine

for me 10 days ago. Why do you make changes that just cause these kinds of problems? It makes no sense to me.

Once this current mess is cleared up I'm definitely going to turn off updating an MB Classic and on the server side as well.

It's the only way I can see to avoid this kind of disruption. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work that went in to

creating this plug-in but why make changes that just cause headache? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

blixt99

Tester, I understand what you are saying and I agree with all your points. I know why changes are made as

you explained. I am glad that we have the option of turning off updates when we are happy with our setup and it is working

for us. This gives us the option to visit the forums and  observe what kind of problems people are having who do update

regularly and who  have to bear the brunt of new problems, sometimes caused by updating.Because of the ability

to delay updates this means we don't have to be guinea pigs.

Redshirt

3.0.0.36 posted as beta. If you have a  0 byte gamebrowser.xml delete it and the gamebrowser.xml.old if present.

Redshirt

I'm using Lists ebr. Or at least I'm trying to.

Edited by Redshirt

Tester

blixt99, I know your comment was not directed at me, but I have to respectfully disagree.  I am sure that neither ebr, Red, nor most developers release updates for the sole purpose of disrupting existing working setups.  Most of the time they are simply releasing new updates to kill existing bugs, update existing options/features, conform to a dynamic changing software package, and (most important for this discussion ) release requested features.

Yes, sometimes these updates do cause issues, but that is why both the server and client packages have selections/options on to handle updates and at what release level.

• Like 1

blixt99

Server Version 3.0.5192.41485

MBC Version 3.0.144 3-21.1

Chocolate Theme 3.0.4.8

GameBrowser-Classic  3.0.0.35

GameBrowser III Server 2.9.5184.24602

Redshirt,

Just updated to GB Classic 3.0.0.35. I deleted the GB config xml before configuring the games AGAIN and after configuring

the GB config xml is again 0 KB. The EHS does not list my games anymore.

Plus when I click on the PC Games tile in the EHS  I get this.......

5331be028098c_Games5a.jpg

Edited by blixt99

Drexyl

Just tried 3.0.0.36... Deleted config file, but still get a 0byte config file. :(   Both on my HTPC and a clean install.

Care is being taken to avoid disruption but we are expanding the world of media browser with all kinds of new features and capabilities. sometimes when we expand on existing features we have to go back and rethink the way we're doing things, and sometimes that means making changes. The short term pain is unfortunate but you get long term stability in exchange. So many software shops have the policy of never touching anything that is working, and if you compromise the design in order to stick by that rule it only creates a mess in the long run. So we're not deliberately trying to destabilize anything but sometimes it has to happen.

Are you using something other than our standard Config settings bindings?  I don't see a "Settings" node like all of those have.

Redshirt

3.0.0.37 posted. Same requirements as mentioned above. If this doesn't work I'm going to just Hulk out and start smashing things.

ArCaDe

Just a quick response: Success, seems to be working for me now. I only linked one exe to a game & I was able to launch it again via GBC.

Also, I previously made a backup of my old XML file & I just restored it & seems I am able to still launch games using this latest beta of GBC.

Edited by ArCaDe
  • Like 1

Redshirt

That's a relief. I'd like to hear from one or two others as well.

Drexyl

Although I am at work, and can only RDP into my MBC clients, I can confirm that gamebrowser.xml is now being populated, and I can launch Windows games (although they fail to actually load completely due to RDP session) but Play button is back, and Windows games look like they are working.

I am however still getting an unknown error prevented this game from launching when trying to load NES or SNES roms though.  I don't think this has anything to do with RDP session, although I will confirm when I get home from work later.

EDIT: I just installed MBC/GBC on my work machine, I still get the unknown error issue with at least NES and SNES games (the only two I have configured.)

Here's the relevant MB-Classic log file entries...

2014-03-26 01:53:15.4520,Info,,Gamebrowser playback controller about to play 1942(\\servername\share\roms\Nintendo NES\1942\1942 (Japan,, USA).nes) ,46,Worker thread for Play Action
2014-03-26 01:53:15.4530,Info,,Gamebrowser playback controller playing 1942,46,Worker thread for Play Action
2014-03-26 01:53:15.4530,Info,,*** GAMEBROWSER *** Trying to match GameSystem for NintendoEntertainmentSystem,46,Worker thread for Play Action
2014-03-26 01:53:15.4530,Info,,*** GAMEBROWSER *** GameSystem List has 2 entries,46,Worker thread for Play Action
2014-03-26 01:53:45.4697,Error,,Error playing item:  ( Exception.  Type=System.NotImplementedException Msg=The method or operation is not implemented. Src=GameBrowser-Classic Method=StopInternal Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]    at GameBrowser_Classic.Code.ModelItems.GamePlaybackController.StopInternal() [n]    at GameBrowser_Classic.Code.ModelItems.GamePlaybackController.LaunchGame(Media media) [n]    at GameBrowser_Classic.Code.ModelItems.GamePlaybackController.PlayMediaInternal(PlayableItem playable) [n]    at MediaBrowser.Code.ModelItems.BasePlaybackController.Play(PlayableItem playable) ),46,Worker thread for Play Action

Drexyl

Edited by Drexyl

blixt99

Hooray. Success for me too. I can play all of my Steam library as well as games not part of Steam, but are all PC games.

Good work Redshirt. I appreciate your timely response and  quick effort to clear up the problem Thanks tons.

Drexyl

Is anyone else having issues with emulated games? Or is it just me? I'm still getting the unknown error when I load anything other than windows\dos games.  Even with GBC 3.0.0.38 (which was installed automagically overnight it seems)

Drexyl

sleepy

It needs MBC 3.0.143.0. So if you're running release level for MBC you'll need to wait for the next public version that's higher than that version. The plugin is also beta. So you'll need your plugin level set to beta.

I am running MBC 3.0.143.0. MBC and GBC are both set for beta. Weird how I'm not getting GBC 3.0.0.37. Guess I will wait for a release version then.

Redshirt

strange. Are you logging into MBC with an account that can admin the server? Not sure if MBC requires that or not.

sleepy

Forgive me for being blond but I can't get MBC to show any update for MBC. How do I get 3.0.0.37 to show?

Redshirt

It needs MBC 3.0.143.0. So if you're running release level for MBC you'll need to wait for the next public version that's higher than that version. The plugin is also beta. So you'll need your plugin level set to beta.

sleepy

Very strange indeed! I don't know if admin rights is required either but I am logged in as such. When will you release the latest version beta so that I can get the games working again?

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

Tester

Sorry for the late response..  Yes !! mine is also working on PC games and I second blixt99's thank you comments !!

Redshirt

Good stuff. Since it's working for everybody it seems I'll switch it from beta to release.