Error: SecureChannelFailure When Checking for Application Updates

DarWun

DarWun

Hello All

A quick update, internal testing has been positive so far and we now have a package available for 'armadaxp' based systems, starting with release 3.3.1.6-beta.

If you are experiencing this issue and are currently signed-up to the beta channel, let me know so I can make the updated package available for you to test.

Best

- James

@@solabc16 I'm currently on Beta channel.  I'll update to the 3.3.1.6-beta release when I get home later tonight.

solabc16

Hello @@kesm, @@DarWun

I've just made 3.3.1.7-beta available on the beta channel, for 'armadaxp' based h/w.

This won't resolve the error above, but will give us some more tools from troubleshooting - along with a fallback mode, to keep you running in the interim.

I'll pick up specific details via DM.

Best

- James

DarWun

Hello @@kesm, @@DarWun

I've just made 3.3.1.7-beta available on the beta channel, for 'armadaxp' based h/w.

This won't resolve the error above, but will give us some more tools from troubleshooting - along with a fallback mode, to keep you running in the interim.

I'll pick up specific details via DM.

Best

- James

Thanks @@solabc16.  I updated to 3.3.1.7-beta a few minutes ago.  When Emby was restarted after the update completed, its status in DSM Package Manager showed as running for about 30 seconds.  It then immediately stopped running.  After rebooting the NAS the outcome was the same. 

I didn't see anything particularly informative in the server log.  But the embysvr.stderr log states:  Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries used by your application.  I've attached both logs.

Continued in PM.

embysvr_stderr.log

server-63657338620.txt

Edited by DarWun

mutu310

Thanks @@kesm.

@@DarWun, @@mutu310 and @@Glyde62 - if you could confirm what Synology hardware platform are you running on and DSM version as well, that would be helpful.

Best

- James

DS213j https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/DataSheet/DiskStation/13-year/DS213j/Synology_DS213j_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

solabc16

Thanks @@mutu310, I've added a build for this system to the beta channel now.

I'll add you to the DM conversation so you can pick up the test details.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello All

Quick update, we believe we have now resolved this issues and have successfully tested the fixes on 'armadaxp' based systems.

We have also put together a patched package for 'armada370' based systems on the beta channel, and are awaiting feedback.

Thanks to @@DarWun, @@mutu310 & @@kesm for helping with the testing so far.

If you are experiencing this issue and aren't running on one of these systems, please post here and let us know. You can find out what the package architecture is for system by using the reference here: https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

Best

- James

solabc16

Hi Luke, All

There are a couple of things going on with this, first being there were some limitations concerning BoringSSL and non-Intel processor support with Mono 5.2.0.224.

To resolve this, we've switched to Mono release 5.10.0.160. We had hoped to freeze the Mono version at 5.2.0.224, whilst we focus on the switch to .NET Core.

So far we haven't identified any issues, but will continue testing before making a decision to include it with the next stable.

The second issue we've tracked down to BoringSSL's runtime processor feature detection for non-Intel processors, which was causing a native crash.

There's still a bit of work to do around this, so as to refine the solution and minimise any performance impact associated with the changes needed to get it working.

As above, if anybody has a non-Intel based Synology platform and is willing to help test, give us a shout here - as this one does need a bit of testing, given the native crash will stop Emby Server on the first update check. (e.g. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57325-3317-1-beta-stops/)

Best

- James

redvanman63

I am having this same error on the following :-

Synology DS216j, Marvell Armada 385 88F6820, Dual Core, Threads 2, FPU Yes, Package Arch Armada38x, RAM DDR3 512 MB

Emby Version 3.3.1.0

DSM Version 6.1.5-15254 Update 1

It doesn't seem to affect operation its just I don't like seeing all these Red errors and filling up Logs.

Hope you manage to sort it out soon.

All the best

Redvanman63

solabc16

Hello @@redvanman63

Thanks for getting in touch, would you be willing to test out a beta release for your platform?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

redvanman63

hi,

Yes I can certainly give it a go. I am not totally ofey with Linux but I am willing to learn.

I have a backup of my Movies and TV Shows so if it cocks up I can restore.

All the best

redvanman63

solabc16

Thanks @@redvanman63, we'll still be providing this as a package - so it will be pretty much point and click, in the same way you are used to doing.

If it doesn't run, we may have to do a little troubleshooting, but your configuration will remain intact.

I'll get the builds done today, so should be able to PM you tomorrow with the details.

This particular issue does need testing on the physical h/w itself, so thanks again for offering to help out.

Best

- James

redvanman63

hi solabc,

got your pm added source.

done the update and yes it stops after 30 seconds

redvanman63

solabc16

Hello All

We've now successfully tested fixes for 'armadaxp' and 'armada38x' based h/w, thanks again to @@DarWun & @@redvanman63.

There's a fix ready to test for 'armada370' based h/w, which @@mutu310 is going to assist with.

For all other ARM based h/w (as these are the affected systems), please do get in touch if you can help us test the latest stable (3.1.0) with the patches applied.

Best

- James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

Quick update - new betas will be on the way this week, we've been working on updating the toolchain to support TLS 1.2 on the non-Intel based machines.

Thanks for sticking with us, we're in good shape now and look forward to releasing the updated package with the next stable of Emby Server.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Tranceberg

Hi Everyone,

Synology DS418 Realtek RTD1296 ARMv8 CPU.

I`m getting the same error message " Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.) " 

Emby version 3.3.1.0

I do not have any issues with Emby it just works fine, however I wonder if I need to update to the newest version of Emby.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

solabc16

Hello @@Tranceberg

Thanks for getting in touch, it won't cause any issues as far as Emby Server's functionality goes, so you're ok to wait for the next stable to be released.

If you would like to assist with beta testing, then by all means get in touch, there some information here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases

Best

- James

Brushfyre

Hi,

Getting the same error message and is also affecting trailer plugin connection.

On DS118, DSM 6.2-23648, Emby 3.3.1.0-1

Thanks in advance!