62 replies to this topic

#21 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 AM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

The only way to get custom numbering in emby right now, as far as I know, will be to use ServerWMC and do your custom numbering in WMC. Also, any disabled channels in WMC will not be transferred to emby so you should end up with a clean guide based on WMC settings. I'm not sure how you got a situation of seeing both your custom numbering and the Spectrum numbering in the guide. Do you have each tuner in emby twice (once for ServerWMC and once for the network tuners) and Schedules Direct setup as a provider?

Now that I'm working on XMLTV for EPG123, I've noticed emby still has some gaps in their XMLTV support. I would consider them minor, but it will bring it to the same level as the other providers ... support Video attributes (HD, 16:9) and Audio attributes (DD, DD+, stereo, ...). There is also a gap in XMLTV itself in that you can't indicate LIVE events. With ServerWMC, you get the HD and Live indicators in the guide.

For simplicity, I will continue this discussion over in TheGreenButton but if something comes up in Emby, I'll post a link to the discussion in TheGreenButton.

FYI.. @Luke @kanipek

Edited by Sammy, 02 March 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#22 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

BTW, Before moving over there, this probably answers the question @garyan2.

I did both ServerWMC and added in the tuners with Schedules Direct in Emby.

Suppose I need to change it but for now I'll use ServerWMC for congruence. How to delete the tuners and guide data in Emby and keep ServerWMC?

Attached File  ServerWMC.JPG   19.3KB   11 downloads

9d3c70f1f1f3402f4d5613d2d6ff6be4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy, 02 March 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#23 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

Yah, that's why you were seeing both the custom lineup from ServerWMC and the Spectrum lineup at the same time. Use the 3 dots on each Tuner Device and Guide Provider to delete them. You emby guide will then be strictly from ServerWMC.

• Sammy likes this

#24 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Local time: 01:32 PM
  • LocationMassillon, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

BTW, Before moving over there, this probably answers the question @garyan2.

I did both ServerWMC and added in the tuners with Schedules Direct in Emby.

Suppose I need to change it but for now I'll use ServerWMC for congruence. How to delete the tuners and guide data in Emby and keep ServerWMC?

attachicon.gifServerWMC.JPG

9d3c70f1f1f3402f4d5613d2d6ff6be4.jpg

That would do it.

If you are sticking only with ServerWMC then you can delete the tuners you added for Emby DVR. Emby will probably autodetect the tuners again. If you click on your schedules direct entry in Live TV and de-select "enable for all tuners" that will prevent them getting guide data again - just uncheck those Emby DVR tuners.

• Sammy likes this

#25 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

This all came about because I got a ShieldTV only to discover that Spectrum did not have an AndroidTV app causing me to look around for an alternative for Cable News, Sports, PPV and OnDemand, etc.

I'm moving towards using either YoutubeTV, SlingTV (other?) and then putting an antenna on my roof for LiveTV. I still like WMC but Emby DVR is getting close.. I could still use WMC as a back end though with epg123.. 

Another thing I'm dealing with currently is I have a short in one of my Ethernet lines to three bedrooms upstairs and my Ceton Echo will not stay connected to my network with a Trendnet TEW-800MB bridge. I'm sure that this WiFi issue is router side but heck my Roku's are performing on the same WiFi without issue and the one I've tried through the bridge works fine too..

Bottom line is I'm moving closer to an alternate solution, shaving the cord so to speak.

Having a better and quicker guide in Emby DVR will put me over the edge but currently it is not quick enough..

At any rate, I'm going to delete those tuners in Emby and deselct them in the Guide Provider.. Can I just delete Schedules Direct in Emby altogether to solve it too?

Thanks!!

#26 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

I un-checked / disabled unwanted channels in epg123ClientGUI.
I opened epg123 and clicked Save & Execute.
I did both these operations in an elevated state.

I went into emby and deleted my tuners and disabled all the tuners in the guide data section therein.
I went into ServerWMC and hit reload channels from WMC.
When I went back to look at Emby, it was doing a "Refresh Guide Data" task that I didn't request.

In Emby LiveTV Guide the undesired channels still show. I am remote so I cannot open WMC to look at the guide to see what is showing there.

I'm not sure what went wrong..

#27 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Attached File  Channels.JPG   54.36KB   10 downloads

Channels in Emby

#28 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

I don't know the best sequence of things, but ... restart ServerWMC and if necessary restart emby.

• Sammy likes this

#29 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

I need to be more patient.. the Emby server did a "Scan Library" and when done all was well! :)

#30 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

@garyan2 @kanipek

I'm moving past WMC as I'm having issues with it and am getting wary of supporting Ceton Echo Extenders with it. I can tune and watch stuff in both Emby but not WMC right now.

I want to set up epg123 as my guide provider using xmltv. I just tell emby where to find the xmltv data in my epg123 folder?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this vs the native guide that Emby imports directly from SchedulesDirect?

What "holes" are in the guide in Emby when using xmltv?

TIA

#31 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

@garyan2 @kanipek

I'm moving past WMC as I'm having issues with it and am getting wary of supporting Ceton Echo Extenders with it. I can tune and watch stuff in both Emby but not WMC right now.

I want to set up epg123 as my guide provider using xmltv. I just tell emby where to find the xmltv data in my epg123 folder?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this vs the native guide that Emby imports directly from SchedulesDirect?

What "holes" are in the guide in Emby when using xmltv?

TIA

In my opinion there are no holes.

As we discussed previously - The only real issue I have is the mapping of channels, mine do not automatically map and probably won't ever unless MCTV changes there channel naming to match what is given by SD. So it took some work but I came up with an automated method (which I shared with you via PM??) that takes the latest XMLTV file removes all the channel data, saves the remainder to a temp file. Then combines my edited channel data and that temp file and spits out an XMLTV file with all my correct channel info (names, numbers, logos) plus the updated program data from the temp file. Point Emby to that XMLTV file and your good to go.

I would uncheck the option in EPG123 automatically add/download new channels - It will add more lines to the XMLTV file and break the process and therefore break the XMLTV file, the formatting will be off. You can still add new channels but you will need to edit the script to change the number of lines to remove.

#32 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

The only way to get custom numbering in emby right now, as far as I know, will be to use ServerWMC and do your custom numbering in WMC. Also, any disabled channels in WMC will not be transferred to emby so you should end up with a clean guide based on WMC settings. I'm not sure how you got a situation of seeing both your custom numbering and the Spectrum numbering in the guide. Do you have each tuner in emby twice (once for ServerWMC and once for the network tuners) and Schedules Direct setup as a provider?

Now that I'm working on XMLTV for EPG123, I've noticed emby still has some gaps in their XMLTV support. I would consider them minor, but it will bring it to the same level as the other providers ... support Video attributes (HD, 16:9) and Audio attributes (DD, DD+, stereo, ...). There is also a gap in XMLTV itself in that you can't indicate LIVE events. With ServerWMC, you get the HD and Live indicators in the guide.

These are the "holes" I referred to.. I guess I should have said "gaps". 

I guess with xmltv data ou don't get Live Events or video / audio attributes? Maybe I'll still use WMC as a "backend" to get this data but need to figure out what's up with WMC and OTA Tuners not working when they do work with Emby.

BTW, I'm good with the new numbering system because that looks a little cumbersome to set up and maintain..

Edited by Sammy, 08 May 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#33 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

Everything OK, @garyan2 ?

Wondering if I should use epg123 xmltv in Emby, ServerWMC (having some issues at present) or just let the native guide import in Emby do it's thing? The data doesn't seem quite as "Rich" with the native guide data even though it is a SchedulesDirect JSON pull.

#34 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

If you mean json isn't as good as XMLTV, content wise I would agree.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#35 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

It seems Gary's statement above is the opposite?

Is there a SBS comparison somewhere?

#36 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

As far as I am concerned. That is not content related.
It depends on what you consider important.
I personally prefer seeing the premier tag in the EPG.
So XMLTV is superior. Others would say that they need the HD tag etc.
I just wish that all the EPG tags were available under both types of EPG data.

#37 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3377 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

IIR, Premiers is an option when searching and filtering the guide in WMC? I usually use MMC on my phone to schedule WMC and Premiers is available there.

Was Gary forcing it into the mxf and Motz from Ceton doing it to if not in the JSON data?

It seems the xmltv is missing live, HD and the like as well?

I hadn't looked but yes, Emby doesn't show this data.

#38 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Here is a quick compare between XMLTV (provided by EPG123), ServerWMC (guide by EPG123), and native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct.

5af62c99e98f7_comparison.png

XMLTV does not show 'LIVE'.

Native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct doesn't show 'PREMIERE'.

The 'premiere' can be fixed/added into future builds, but the only way an XMLTV will be able to provide a Live indicator is if there is an agreed upon method... XMLTV does not have any defined method to indicate a live event.

For actual program details, here's another comparison...

5af62f75e42bc_comparison2.png

XMLTV and emby Live TV can have random TV ratings.

ServerWMC has a 1 star rating for everything.

The above issues can be handled in future emby builds and a possible change to serverWMC for the star rating.

What I was hinting at that was missing from the emby guide is details such as Dolby Digital sound, Closed Captioning, Language, Original Air Date, Actors/Characters, ... All that information is available for the 3 methods, just not displayed.

5af631aca1ffb_comparison3.png

• Sammy likes this

#39 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

I guess I should also note, the next release of EPG123 will provide the ability to choose between 4x3 and 2x3 artwork for the series images. The 2x3 looks pretty good in emby, and actually does a good job in WMC as well with the Tweak WMC feature of EPG123.

#40 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

I don't know the specifics.

I know that I can get the premiere tag using XMLTV.

To me having that available outweighs the other tags. I know what is HD. I don't need a tag to tell me that.

Gary can speak more to the specifics. I don't think it is a matter of forcing anything. But what Emby supports at this stage.

One thing I will throw out to you is this - leave WMC behind and embrace Emby LiveTV as it exists today. It gets better with most every update. There are hiccups along the way. Sure.

Channel management not as robust as WMC? Yes. It will get there. At some point. Are you going to be frustrated with Emby from time to time? Yes. Are you frustrated by WMC?

As I mentioned to you I still use WMC. But strictly for movies and only because of the keyword recording capabiliry. Everything else I do with Emby.

Is Emby different? Yes.

This response is far to long already. Jump off the fence!

• Sammy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EPG123, XML, XMLTV, Emby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users