slow or hangs on skip fwd/rew in recorded tv

Jennice

Jennice

I have a problem with recorded shows. (Have not yet organized my dvd's to emby, so I don't know about movies).

I have set Emby to start recording a few minutes before scheduled start, which works as intended.

This means that I need to stap a bit forward to find the "intended" recording". I do that using the time bar at the bottom of the screen.

It's sometimes painfully slow, or seems to hang completely. (for minutes, until I give up and go back to the Emby main screen).

When it (seems to) hang, I can't resume the playback (it's selectable, but I just get black screen).

I have to start the recording from it's beginning, and the skip into the recording.

Anyone else experiencing slow response when skipping tinto a recording?

Am I doing it wrong when úsing the time bar at the bottom of screen? Is there a keyboard shortcut or other/better means of jumping in time of a recording? 

snorkel

Yes, I experience that on most devices if the video stream needs to be transcoded, if you have the premier version you can set the recordings to transcode on the fly and

then it seeks much better after the file is converted to h264 in a mkv container.

The only gotcha is you can't seek at all in a recording in progress, if you attempt to do it it will just restart the video. 

The basic problem is hardly any of the client devices can direct play mpeg2 which is how live TV is recorded.   I heard the patents on mpeg2 may have or will expire soon so who knows.

They don't like mpeg2 because of the license costs associated with it because of the patents.

The fire tv stick is the worst offender and when I skip forward with that device the it's slow and the further I get into the recording the audio takes a long time to catch up.

If it's not direct play it's bad even on a Xbox one S.   I have an 8 core 4gzh server so it's not because it's slow on the server side.

Edited by snorkel

Jennice

I don't know if it's related to the update of server the other day, but it works better now.

Or if it's related to the client I tried today being an i7 3770, rather than the old E8400 in my usual client. Does jumping in a recording require a lot from the client?

However, it has screwed up my recent recordings since release .70

The old .60 server worked better in that regard. Timings are off in recordings (start/stop), and a recording I did this evening (approx. 1 hr), showed as 969 minutes.

Live TV seems broken for me with .70

Any way I can revert to .60 ?

Jennice

It seems somethings has changed. Since ,70 there is a live TV channel I can no longer watch on Emby Theater, but using web player, it works (same Win10 client)!? When I click it, the circle keeps spinning and the interface becomes unresponsive. I haven't tested all channels, but it's one of my favourites, which is why I noticed.

It may or may not be related to the .70 update, but the other day, some channels were swapped... like a re-scan, so images and channel content no longer matched.

I have a HD Homerun DVB-C, if it makes a difference.

Jennice

Hi Luke,

I'm on windows theater 2.9.6, on win10 (i7 3770k client).

The units are connected over wired gigbit LAN. Server is 3.2.70 on Win10 64bit (i7-8700k).

The other channels I have tested so far play ok, but after this failing channel, the Theater client hangs (close/minimize don't respond, back-arrow not working, etc.).

It seems it wants to transcode, but why?

Most danish (where I live) dvb-c channels are mpeg4

I hope it tells you what goes wrong. But the setuip worked on server 3.2.60.

Can I revert? If yes, how?

Server log 20180127_17-54.zip

Jennice

Additional note: The HDHomerun tuner plays the stream fine with it's own viewer. Also, it plays on android phone.

Edit: Found morte channels that cause the Emby Theater to hang.

Accessing same channels using tv.emby.media works fine. (can't go over 720p !?), so it's transcoding.

Edited by Jennice

Guest asrequested

Are there transcode logs for the channels that hang when you use theater desktop?

Edited by Doofus

Jennice

Attached above.

I restarted the server, tried the problem stream, closed the server, and copied the log files as attached.

I think something hans un-intentionally changed in the server.

Guest asrequested

The transcode log looks fine. I'm assuming you don't use 'convert to streaming friendly format'? Can you share a recording that you have trouble with?

Jennice

The transcode log looks fine. I'm assuming you don't use 'convert to streaming friendly format'? Can you share a recording that you have trouble with?

It's both recording (I just crashed a show I wanted to record), and live tv.

I'll try and see if I can share the recording

Jennice

Please...

Can someone tell me how to get back to 3.2.60?

edit:

Found out how to revert to 3.2.60

The old recording is still useless, but the live TV now works.

Edited by Jennice

Jennice

Tried using beta 3.2.70.9 today.

Still not working on all channels using Emby Theater client.

The old 3.2.60 (not beta) works as intended.

Jennice

I tried a short recording of a currently running TV show, which seemed ok.

But Live TV hangs on this channel (and the other channels I have tested).

Luke: If I can customize the server port, and get your IP address, I can open the test server to you for a few days to try. I'd prefer to keep this part of info off the forum though.

Does Emby theater Windows spawn any services/process I can check if hang (are not closed) when Emby Theater hangs/has to be closed?

snorkel

Do you by chance have surround sound enabled?

Seems certain devices combined with certain TV's have an issue with surround sound.

I have to disable it on my shield or there are weird pauses when seeking.