49 replies to this topic

#21 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 48159 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Log sent from Emby for Android TV app at 4:47 am, user name Mike, playback of recorded TV, program is CBS News Sunday Morning.  This is not the spinning circle error, rather the repeated freeze.  The spinning circle seems to have cleared up with a restart of all devices on the network, which is good.

Thanks.

Hi.  I did not receive this app log.  However, this isn't an app issue.  The repeated freezing is simply your server not able to transcode/deliver the content fast enough.

#22 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

Running this on a QNAP TS-251 with Celeron 2.41 GHz dual-core processor.  Watching the Resource Manager during Live TV playback, CPU use is 15%-20%, but during playback of recorded TV, CPU jumps to 99%, which is when the freezing happens. RAM is not an issue.  Suggestions?

QNAP claims this unit is well-suited for transcoding.  Is this something I should take up with them?

#23 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts
  • Local time: 08:43 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

You need MORE POWER!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#24 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2843 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Running this on a QNAP TS-251 with Celeron 2.41 GHz dual-core processor.  Watching the Resource Manager during Live TV playback, CPU use is 15%-20%, but during playback of recorded TV, CPU jumps to 99%, which is when the freezing happens. RAM is not an issue.  Suggestions?

QNAP claims this unit is well-suited for transcoding.  Is this something I should take up with them?

a dual core Celeron is barely suited for anything, let alone transcoding.  The bigger question should be why is it transcoding in the first place.

#25 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

The player isn't capable of the stream codecs, throttling is on or there's network issues?

#26 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for your responses. Now we're getting somewhere.  

The player has no problem playing the direct stream from the HDHomerun device, which does not perform hardware transcoding, using the HDHomerun app on the Adroid TV box.  Never a stutter.

Indicates that there are no network issues, but there shouldn't be as it is gigabit ethernet.

My question is why does Emby Server stream form the QNAP with ease, but demands full processor usage during playing recorded TV?  Sorry again about my relative ignorance about video.  

#27 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2843 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

Well what are your dvr settings?  Also attach the transcode log from a time when this happened, it will state exactly why it's transcoding (as will the stats for nerds on the client as well as the dashboard when a transcode is happening).

#28 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

ffmpeg log 2-4 V3 is attached in post #17.  It is the log of playback from DVR.  I am not local to the server to post DVR settings but will do that when I am in a few hours.

#29 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

DVR settings:  no paths have been designated for the three kinds of recordings.  Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format is unchecked.  So is Preserve original audio when converting recordings (when possible).No Post Processing application (or path) and no Default Recording settings (time before and after.)

Tested a recording after checking the Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format box, but no better.  Playback of recorded TV was still running the CPU at 99% and playback constantly froze.

#30 mastrmind11 OFFLINE  

mastrmind11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2843 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

This seems bizarre.  It appears ffmpeg is doing a video copy which should cost nothing, but eventually your server can't keep up w/ the copy.  I've not seen this with direct play ts files, and converting to a stream friendly mkv will not fix it.  I don't see a transcode going on anywhere, so not sure what @ebr was referring to.  

Just for testing, try to play a recorded tv episode and check either stats for nerds or the dashboard and report back wtf it's actually doing.

#31 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

Played back 60 Minutes and have attached the Stats for Nerds data.  Stats on the QNAP show CPU at 99%.

Attached Files

#32 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

Played back 60 Minutes and have attached the Stats for Nerds data.  Stats on the QNAP show CPU at 99%.

In this case your transcoding is just not able to go fast enough, so that would explain the freezing during playback.

#33 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

But why's it transcoding in the first place?

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

Because the video codec is mpeg2 and he's on an X96mini.

• Sammy and mastrmind11 like this

#35 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

Because the video codec is mpeg2 and he's on an X96mini.

Got it. Need MORE POWER!

#36 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

OK, I think I finally understand.  If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem?  Like @Sammy said MORE POWER!  My final question (perhaps):  why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

#37 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

OK, I think I finally understand. If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem? Like @Sammy said MORE POWER! My final question (perhaps): why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

I just hooked up my new to me 2015 ShieldTV and tested Emby LiveTV (not RecordedTV) with ServerWMC / HDHR Prime using Emby Server on my i5 4690k Devil's Canyon.

No issues at all and I also noticed the guide loads even faster than on Emby Theater too.

#38 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2994 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

What container is your RecordedTV in? Maybe Emby has to repackage it on the fly?

#39 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

It is in the default location for Emby TV recording.

QNAP has the ability to set up automated transcoding.  Supposedly, just tell it which folders to transcode.  Since there is a delay between when a program is recorded and when it is watched, why not try that workaround?

First test, QNAP didn't automatically transcode, but haven't had time to double check the settings.  So told it to manually transcode the saved file.  Failed:  read/write error.  Haven't investigated, but will report back.

Still curious about why playback needs full CPU, but streaming from Emby doesn't.  Possibly a simple answer, just displaying my lack of video experience.

#40 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142604 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

OK, I think I finally understand.  If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem?  Like @Sammy said MORE POWER!  My final question (perhaps):  why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

Can we look at some specific examples? thanks !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freeze, stutter, buffer, QNAP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users