Emby crashing with gray screen Amazon FireTV Stick

leekingsnatch

leekingsnatch

When  streaming m3u live tv stream from Amazon FireTV stick, after a while the emby app seems to crash and all I get is a gray screen. The TV stick continues to operate because I can go home and start other apps, but I cannot start the emby app unless I restart the stick. I have noticed the same exact behavior on two different FireTV sticks, so I doubt it's the actual devices.

The time that it takes to crash varies from 10 minutes to up to 30 minutes. I have tried adjusting the emby app to use VLC but I have the same issue.

This is pretty annoying since we an only watch live streaming TV for 30 minutes at most at a time. I would certainly appreciate some help on this.

I've attached the server log.

Thanks in advance.

embyserverlog.txt

I submitted the in-app log at 6:32 p.m. EST. Hopefully you got it.

Hi.  Can we please get the other information requested so I can locate this?

Thanks.

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

leekingsnatch

Hi.  Can we please get the other information requested so I can locate this?

Thanks.

The person was watching an M3U live tv stream (Big Fat Life or something like that), the time I sent the log was 6:32 p.m. EST on Jan 1, 2018 and the name of the person was dedwards.

Thanks!

leekingsnatch

Did you send the log right after this error occurred?  Unfortunately, there is no playback or error in the log.

It could be related to the fact that every time this happens, I cannot start emby unless I reboot the firetv stick. So, I'm guessing it crashes in such a way that logs never get generated. Probably the best thing to do is re-create the error on your end. 

leekingsnatch

Did you send the log right after this error occurred?  Unfortunately, there is no playback or error in the log.

I just sent another one at 6:27 p.m. EST. This time the stream just stopped but no gray screen and Emby was still running and I was able to send the log. Did you get it?

I just sent another one at 6:27 p.m. EST. This time the stream just stopped but no gray screen and Emby was still running and I was able to send the log. Did you get it?

In this case, the player was under the impression that the stream was finished.

E/ACodec  (32291): Output already EOS!
E/ACodec  (32291): Output already EOS!
D/MediaCodec(32291): stop : turning off cabl
I/System.out(32291): On Completion fired

It looks like VLC was in use this time.

It could be related to the fact that every time this happens, I cannot start emby unless I reboot the firetv stick. So, I'm guessing it crashes in such a way that logs never get generated. Probably the best thing to do is re-create the error on your end. 

Yes, rebooting the stick will wipe all logs.  The next time this happens, do not reboot the stick.  Just go into the device settings "apps" section and force close Emby.  Then immediately go back into Emby and send the log.

Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Yes, rebooting the stick will wipe all logs.  The next time this happens, do not reboot the stick.  Just go into the device settings "apps" section and force close Emby.  Then immediately go back into Emby and send the log.

Thanks.

I force stopped emby as suggested and went back in and sent the logs at 10:08 a.m. EST after the app crashed with a gray screen. Let me know if you got it.

Thanks!

I received the log, thanks, but, unfortunately, it still doesn't contain any information on the crash that is occurring.  Exactly what were you doing when it happened?

leekingsnatch

I received the log, thanks, but, unfortunately, it still doesn't contain any information on the crash that is occurring.  Exactly what were you doing when it happened?

I setup an m3u tuner in Emby and I was watching one of the channels from that "tuner". This behavior ONLY occurs when streaming one of those channels.

Okay.  There are some changes in beta that may resolve it and I will hopefully be pushing those public soon.

Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Okay.  There are some changes in beta that may resolve it and I will hopefully be pushing those public soon.

Thanks.

Is this a change to the emby app or the server or both? Do you have an approximate time for the release?

leekingsnatch

Can't give a time right now but you could join the beta to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Using the "Test" version of Emby and we got the exact same issue streaming TV as the original post. I sent a report at 11:32 a.m. EST. 

Thanks

TolkienBard

My mate is having what seems to be the same issue with his Fire TV stick. I used the option to send the FireTV logs your way. I need to go back through my server logs to see if I can find the ones for the time we were trying to watch at his place. For him, the error/crash happens anywhere from 5 minutes into a stream up to about 30 minutes, without consistency. At first it visually appeared to be a buffering issue, but we went through and made sure that wasn't the case, both by deselecting auto-bit rate and also by making sure his equipment was handling the necessary bandwidth. Given that he can still flawlessly stream 4K from other apps on the same stick, we are fairly certain that it isn't a buffering issue.

***Edit: Here's all I could find from around that time. I have one server log and one of several transcoding logs from that period. The multiple transcoding logs being created because of the multiple attempts to watch something, obviously.

Edited by TolkienBard

I used the option to send the FireTV logs your way.

Please:

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

TolkienBard

We were watching a saved mkv file, created from disc. We weren't doing anything "fancy" like skipping ahead or calling for subtitles, simply just watching it play.

Judging by the timestamp on the logs I just sent you, I would guess the FireTV log would have been sent at approximately 4:20 pm MST on Monday, 8 January.

The name of the user with the issues was: Tracey.

TolkienBard

He had reported to me that he was having issues, so I went over to have a look. After the first failure, yes, we rebooted the stick and started from scratch. I had not witnessed the problem until then nor used FireTV before, so I wanted to have a look for myself. After that, the problem repeated itself, and we did not reboot the stick. Instead, I followed the directions above, backed out of the stream, and then sent the log from the app's setting section. 

If you need another log from the Fire Stick, I can see about having him send one this evening. Unfortunately, I am not able to create one on demand, as I am not at his place right now.