Emby crashing with gray screen Amazon FireTV Stick

leekingsnatch

It just isn't capturing whatever the real problem is.

I'm going to try disabling a feature in the next beta to see if it stops this problem from happening.  That will then tell me whether or not to keep looking in that feature.

Thanks.

Please let me know when you have the opportunity to test 1.5.41 and if you still have this problem.  Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Please let me know when you have the opportunity to test 1.5.41 and if you still have this problem.  Thanks.

Its been streaming live tv since 0530 a.m. this morning with no crashes. It looks like it's fixed. I verified that its version is 1.5.41. Very good. Thank you! How long before this gets integrated into production?

Well, like I said, it isn't really fixed.  I just disabled the feature within which I think the problem was occurring.  Now I need to try and hunt down exactly what it is so I can re-enable that feature.

Thanks.

Okay, please try this again with .43 (note, not .42).  If it still doesn't crash, please send a log from the app right after you've determined that it isn't going to crash (2 min past hour).  Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Okay, please try this again with .43 (note, not .42).  If it still doesn't crash, please send a log from the app right after you've determined that it isn't going to crash (2 min past hour).  Thanks.

its crashing now but it got worse  now its doing it 1 minute past every 30 minutes  

Okay, since I cannot reproduce this and am not getting any error logs for it this is going to be an iterative process.  I'm hoping maybe the next beta will not leave the app in a dead state (fingers crossed) when this occurs and then you will be able to immediately go back into the app and send the log.

Alternatively, if your server is setup for external access, you could create a Guest user for me (ebr) and I can see if I can reproduce here under the debugger...

leekingsnatch

Alternatively, if your server is setup for external access, you could create a Guest user for me (ebr) and I can see if I can reproduce here under the debugger...

okay I created an account with just access to the live TV and I linked the ebr account to it. Let me know if you can get to it.

Thanks

Is there a particular channel that is a problem?

I've tried three across three different time slots with no issues.

leekingsnatch

Is there a particular channel that is a problem?

I've tried three across three different time slots with no issues.

Try 628 History HD and 622 Science channel.

I noticed you are using 1.5.37a?

Maybe it's only happenning when I stream locally. I don't know if that would make a difference? This happens on two different fire sticks, both local.

leekingsnatch

Try 628 History HD and 622 Science channel.

I noticed you are using 1.5.37a?

Maybe it's only happenning when I stream locally. I don't know if that would make a difference? This happens on two different fire sticks, both local.

Actually I just checked with a remote user using fire stick 1.5.32a and they reported the application crashing 1 minutes past the hour also while watching channel 670. So the problem is not local.

Science channel still going for me.

I've tried my NP and a Fire TV.

Next I'll have to dig out my Fire stick and see if somehow it is related to the hardware.

Good news is I was able to reproduce it on the stick.  It is related to the under-powered CPU.

I'll try and put out a release to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

leekingsnatch

Good news is I was able to reproduce it on the stick.  It is related to the under-powered CPU.

I'll try and put out a release to fix it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Good to hear. Please let me know which version will have the fix.

Thanks a lot!

Good to hear. Please let me know which version will have the fix.

Thanks a lot!

Did you remove my user?

I can only reproduce this connected to your server so would appreciate if i could retest.

Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Did you remove my user?

I can only reproduce this connected to your server so would appreciate if i could retest.

Thanks.

Sorry about that. I thought you didn't need anymore. I just re-enabled it.

leekingsnatch

Did you remove my user?

Thanks.

I noticed a different version on the "Test" version. Were you able to fix it?

I noticed a different version on the "Test" version. Were you able to fix it?

No, but I removed the feature that was causing it so it shouldn't happen to you anymore.

You can go ahead and remove my user for now.

Thanks for your help.

leekingsnatch

No, but I removed the feature that was causing it so it shouldn't happen to you anymore.

You can go ahead and remove my user for now.

Thanks for your help.

No problem. Thank you for working on this. So that I understand, is this going to be fixed eventually or are you just going to leave that feature out of it going into the production code?

No problem. Thank you for working on this. So that I understand, is this going to be fixed eventually or are you just going to leave that feature out of it going into the production code?

I'll have to re-write how the feature works but I'm not going to let it hold up this release.

Thanks.

leekingsnatch

Ok. So the next production app will not have this problem I am guessing. What version number should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Ok. So the next production app will not have this problem I am guessing. What version number should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Something greater than .32 (in release).

• 3 weeks later...
leekingsnatch

Something greater than .32 (in release).

I was under the impression that the problem was fixed with the "production" app. I removed the "test" version of the app and installed the latest production version of the app and to my dismay I discovered the problem to still exist. So, I went out and bought a Fire TV (not a stick) and tested it with the production app and I found that the problem didn't happen on that using the production version of the app which is what you had said previously. The issue happens because the Fire TV stick is not powerful enough. If that's going to be the case, then it would be great if you make it absolutely clear in the Wiki that there are going to be problems with people using the Fire TV stick and it's highly recommended that people buy the Fire TV instead. You see, now I have 3 Fire TV sticks that don't work well with Emby and I'm not a happy camper.

Edited by leekingsnatch

Sorry, as I indicated above, the fix is not in production yet.  When the production version number is greater than .32 then you will know it has been released.  Until that time, you would need to continue using the beta on your sticks.

We didn't know this was a problem on the stick until recently when you helped us diagnose it.  Also, it is only going to be a problem for a small subset of people (you need to have a lot of live TV channels).

It is fixed now and functioning properly in the beta.

Thanks.