Album/Folder Level Playback/Resume for Audiobooks

Chyron

Chyron

I have chapter-split all of my audiobooks, but there is no album or folder-level Play/Resume button, meaning I have to select one chapter at a time to listen to my audiobooks in Emby, or else manually add each chapter to a playlist or some such.

Please add playback controls for the album/folder instead of just each individual file in the Book content type.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 7

Chyron

Yes? No?

I stream/sync audiobooks from my media server a LOT. Instead of having a single mp3/m4a, which in Plex does not seek very well (among other issues that creates), I have chapterized my entire 220 audiobook collection. I do not prefer to listen directly from Audible, because many Audible books have badly placed chapter markers.

In Emby, I seem to have a choice: either I classify audiobooks as music, thereby having no Watched Status; or I classify them as Books and have no easy way to queue the whole rest of the book starting from the current track.

Please fix this. It's really annoying if I have to click every single chapter.

DMYudQ0.png

Edited by chyron8472

Hi, our audio book support is still in it's early stages. Yes in the future we will go through all of these kinds of scenarios. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi, our audio book support is still in it's early stages. Yes in the future we will go through all of these kinds of scenarios. Thanks.

Luke when do you expect to have some proper audiobook support?

I would really like to only use Emby.

• 10 months later...
Chyron

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to beg for this. My wife told me yesterday that she doesn't use Plex much on her phone because of how unstable it is, so I tested the Emby client and it ran my media like a top, first shot out of the box. But we both listen to audiobooks extremely often, and using a media server for it is highly preferable to copying them manually. Plus, most audiobooks players for Android are either lacking in features or quite ugly (or both).

I really wish the dev team would put a higher priority on this.

Edited by chyron8472

horstepipe

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to beg for this. My wife told me yesterday that she doesn't use Plex much on her phone because of how unstable it is, so I tested the Emby client and it ran my media like a top, first shot out of the box. But we both listen to audiobooks extremely often, and using a media server for it is highly preferable to copying them manually. Plus, most audiobooks players for Android are either lacking in features or quite ugly (or both).

I really wish the dev team would put a higher priority on this.

Resuming works with the current server beta, thank you very much @@Luke

Chyron

Resuming works with the current server beta, thank you very much @@Luke

What about Album-level playback for books that have multiple files? My audiobooks' files have been split by chapter.

• 2 weeks later...
Chyron

I just realized that if you right-click (or long press on mobile) a track in an audiobook folder, there is an option that says "Play all from here", which queues the whole folder and starts from the selected track, but at the beginning of it. The "Resume" function, meanwhile, is buried on the track's individual page.

So, why can't you make "[Resume] from here" the default (left-click or tap) action for audiobooks? That should definitely be a thing and would solve a large part of the issue.

Edited by chyron8472

Chyron

Hi, improved audio book support is planned for the future. Thanks.

I know you have said that. I'm just saying I discovered a fairly easy fix for this that would potentially not require much development time to implement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'd like to add that it would be really nice if this "resume" feature (both continue from the in-flight item, and continue from first unplayed item) were also available for lists of Movies, or lists of TV shows.

Thank you.

I'd like to add that it would be really nice if this "resume" feature (both continue from the in-flight item, and continue from first unplayed item) were also available for lists of Movies, or lists of TV shows.

Thank you.

Hi, can you explain a little bit more? How would this apply to movies? Don't we already have this for TV?

He means a Playlist.  I directed him here when he asked if those could resume.  I figure, once we have this for audio books, it will probably be possible for Playlists as well.

@@Luke,

It was in fact @@ebr that directed me to this thread.  Given his role as admin I agreed with his recommendation to follow and update this particular discussion.

For the purposes of clarity, I'd like to provides some specific examples of why a playlist of TV Shows or Movies needs the ability to "continue", in much the same manner as a TV series can do automatically.

TV Series work fantastically for a single series, and are in fact the prototype/frame-of-reference for the request/enhancement that I am seeking. 

For example, if I'm bingeing on the latest TV show, and have to pause the 3rd episode halfway through, Emby correctly let's me continue (after restarting the app) at the exact point where I stopped in episode 3, right from the home screen.  In the same manner, if I completely watch episodes 1 through 5, and then turn off my app, when I log in tomorrow, Emby correctly suggests that the next episode is 6, and lets me, again from the home screen, pickup at episode 6 with a single click.

There are three primary scenarios where a TV series doesn't work as desired.

example 1:  TV shows (e.g. Doctor Who) where there are various specials (usually stored in the "Specials" or "Season 0" folders), where watching in Air Date order, as opposed to season/episode order is enjoyable.
example 2: related TV shows that air in an intertwined manner (e.g. Star Trek: The next generation, Star Trek: DS9 and Star Trek: Voyager), where 2 or more discrete and independent TV shows are in a shared universe and can be watched in 'intertwined' air date order (see attached screen shot of my custom list)
example 3: The Marvel Cinematic Universe (movies only variant as well as a combined movies + TV shows) can (and to a certain extent should) be watched in a particular order that allows all of the movies and TV series to unfold the "shared story" in a manner that avoids spoilers.

5c3f3f8e56f26_screenshot.jpg

The "easy solution" is to assemble a playlist that shows the episodes/movies one wants to watch, and in what order.

However a playlist has a few shortcomings
1) When you hit play ... it always starts from the first entry in the list
2) while the episode/movie you were were watching shows up in the home screen's Next Up or Continue Watching sections, it has no knowledge of it's association to a playlist, and thereby always reverts to the TV Series continuation pattern (not the playlist), or the movie in isolation (not the playlist) ending/continuing in accordance with the existing TVSeries or Movie rules.
3) finding your "next up" episode manually in the playlist is tedious and cumbersome (for example TNG, DS9 and Voyager, combined have 515 episodes, and scrolling to the 115th entry takes a long time.

For the time being, I think I'll simply "delete" the entries from the playlist that I've watched (fortunately the watched indicators from the TV series viewing are carried forward (the green checkmarks). But this does mean funcitonally "destroying" the playlist I created (which I did through automation, so not a huge deal to recreate), but it does mean that the list may no longer be useable by others in my household.

I'm available to discuss further.

Edited by Karpana
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Ok the saving of the position is nice... but i there is a audiobook with a lot of tracks... it could be a good idea .. to resume to the playlist, where the last track was saved... so the ... track was played... and the other parts of the audiobook is played till it ends

Chyron

Hi, improved audio book support is planned for the future. Thanks.

So, any news on this front?

Edited by chyron8472

the problem in emby is..
a title of an album is saved ... but if you want to continue listening to it .. it plays only the title and not the rest of the album or the audiobook

• 4 weeks later...