API: allow duration to be supplied for strm files (to allow resume)

horstepipe

jinxy88

"Also when an external srt subtitle is selected before play, Emby theater never plays the srt and sometimes it plays the default embedded subtitle track instead."

this is happening on web client, emby theater...@@Senna also reported this problem

jinxy88
@Angelblue05 this also just happens for strm aswell, for local files external srt works

but if using strm + external subs it will never play the external subs on any player: web client, emby theater, smart tv

it will only play the strm's embedded subs only

@Angelblue05 this also just happens for strm aswell, for local files external srt works

but if using strm + external subs it will never play the external subs on any player: web client, emby theater, smart tv

it will only play the strm's embedded subs only

Subtitles work fine in my testing. Please see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks.

• Like 1

You guys really should not be trying to troubleshoot multiple unrelated issues inside of a feature request topic for something else :).

jinxy88

@@ebr and @@Luke i posted this here because the subs worked before the mediainfo you guys implemented...that is the reason i keep posting here.

Until 3.3.1.5 external subs were working with strm, but since 3.3.1.5 they stopped working, thats what im trying to say here...

@@ebr and @@Luke i posted this here because the subs worked before the mediainfo you guys implemented...that is the reason i keep posting here.

Until 3.3.1.5 external subs were working with strm, but since 3.3.1.5 they stopped working, thats what im trying to say here...

That's fine but whenever you encounter a new issue, it is best to create a new topic for it (if one doesn't already exist).  When there is troubleshooting for multiple issues buried inside of a feature request topic for something else, even if you think it is related, that ends up making it very hard to follow the issue you are trying to address and almost impossible to find it (and whatever the answer ends up being) a year from now.

Thanks.

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Just a quick follow up on the issue of the server returning the container as mkv instead of strm. When you first add the strm to the server, it reflects correctly as container being strm. But once the strm is played once, the server seems to replace the media info with the media info of the file redirected. Maybe that should not be happening? Because the next time you go to play, then it won't guarantee it's played the same way as the first time.

Angelblue05

It should always say strm. That's what the server sees after scanning in the file, before playing strm the first time. (That's why I couldn't see the issue.)

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

@@Luke

But once the strm is played once, the server seems to replace the media info with the media info of the file redirected.

I really like this behavior, because if one user opens a video, all other users will get the media info for that video, too. This works excellent here.

horstepipe

@@Angelblue05

found one last little issue: When playing back a movie with multiple movie editions, it is being marked as watch regardless of the progress you made.

Best regards

Angelblue05

I really like this behavior, because if one user opens a video, all other users will get the media info for that video, too. This works excellent here.

Ah ok, well it seems to be the source of the container issue :)

The true characteristics of the target media are what should be most important in 99% of cases.  The problem here is unique to Kodi so I think we just need to find a different way to solve that.

horstepipe

The true characteristics of the target media are what should be most important in 99% of cases.  The problem here is unique to Kodi so I think we just need to find a different way to solve that.

hmm you're talking about a problem but I don't see a problem? So what are you planning to change? I'm a little scared because everything works excellent, now :-)

We only use Kodi here and it shows the metadata fine.

Angelblue05

The true characteristics of the target media are what should be most important in 99% of cases. The problem here is unique to Kodi so I think we just need to find a different way to solve that.

Well I already fixed the issue. I was just pointing out why the server was returning mkv as container rather than strm.

I switched the addon to use the server playbackinfo with sending a device profile. It works great for everything except for strm. The add-on ended up trying to direct stream the strm file instead of passing the strm path inside directly to Kodi. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

I switched the addon to use the server playbackinfo with sending a device profile

Well this is great that you've done this.

• 2 weeks later...
ddurdle

Just so you are aware, movies where there are multiple qualities available (where the quality selection dropdown appears), the scanning does not happen.  No stream details or resume points are activated.

ddurdle

No it should still happen. Maybe it just failed to probe that one.

I created a simple Emby server with 3 movies -- 1 with 1 source, 1 with 3 sources and 1 with 4 sources.  The two movies with multiple sources, regardless whichever quality I select, playback marks the movie completed and no information is gathered about the streams.  Whereas the 1 movie with only 1 source, works fine.  All 3 movies all have media files of the same codec types.

5abdad86624fb_Screenshotat20180329232215

5abdae701ba67_Screenshotat20180329232324

For the film with only 1 strm:

5abdae8d7068e_Screenshotat20180329232611

horstepipe

@@Angelblue05

found one last little issue: When playing back a movie with multiple movie editions, it is being marked as watch regardless of the progress you made.

Best regards

Just so you are aware, movies where there are multiple qualities available (where the quality selection dropdown appears), the scanning does not happen.  No stream details or resume points are activated.

ahh that's why this happens to me, makes sense :-)

horstepipe

No it should still happen. Maybe it just failed to probe that one.

definitely not. I tried it with the same file with and without being part of multiple movie edition. It works fine when it's a "single" movie.

I'll post server logs later.

Edited by horstepipe

ddurdle

I was able to reproduce the issue using Emby on Roku.  For movies where there are multiple files, I get the pop up dialog asking for a file selection, but the movie gets marked watched and no resume point.  For movies where there is only a single file, the resume button appears and resume works.

• Like 1

horstepipe

I was able to reproduce the issue using Emby on Roku.  For movies where there are multiple files, I get the pop up dialog asking for a file selection, but the movie gets marked watched and no resume point.  For movies where there is only a single file, the resume button appears and resume works.

Same here @@Luke