API: allow duration to be supplied for strm files (to allow resume)

horstepipe

horstepipe

@@horstepipe

Provide your Kodi log please. Thank you.

oh I can't sent you a pm, looks like you have too much :-)

then I'll attach it here

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

@@Luke the process to scan the media info seems to be quite demanding regarding bandwidth and server cpu usage. Will you be able to optimize this? The first minute a movie plays back in Kodi my Emby Server shows network traffic around 11MiB and a quite high CPU usage. Even if I start the same (already scanned) movie again the process repeats. As of my understanding this is supposed to happen just once per file?

Maybe files should be scanned once at library scan?

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

Is your movie direct playing or trancoded by Emby server in Kodi ?

it is direct playing from gdrive with the script @@ddurdle provided. That Traffic/cpu usage HAS to come from that strm probing. After around one minute playback in Kodi my Emby server traffic goes down from around 10 MiB/s to just some KiB/s and the cpu usage goes down from about 50% to almost 0%. (But buffering continues in Kodi so the stream is definitely not passed through Emby Server

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

still having some trouble with this (hopefully soon) great feature:

I can't watch a movie till the end, it always stops playing after about 30 minutes (see log attached) @@Angelblue05

With Emby server v3.3.1.0 I was able to skip in the video. As resuming didn't work it was very important to be able to skip, otherwise you always need to start from beginning.

With emby server 3.3.1.4 I am no more able to skip. Emby (server and client) recognizes the resume point, I do see the runtime of the current running file in Emby dashboard, but the movie always starts from beginning. This, paired with the problem that I can't skip, makes v3.3.1.4 completely unusable for me.

so I got back to v3.3.1.0. Unfortunately it seems that you can't cleanly switch back from 3.3.1.4 to 3.3.1.0 regarding the changes made for strm files. In v3.3.1.0 I am only able to playback files which were already played back in 3.3.1.4 before, every other media fails. So for now I'm in a really bad situation :-/

Edited by horstepipe

ddurdle

I'm able to resume but here is a few additional notes I and a few other testers have noticed:

If you have an external subtitle file in the media folder for the movie file, resume won't work, and no media analysis is done (status goes to watched).

If you don't have a subtitle file, then the first time you playback the video, the analysis is done, any embedded subtitles are noted and resume works.

Angelblue05

@@horstepipe

Disable Kodi debug and enable Emby for Kodi log level to info. Provide a new log. With Emby for Kodi, Kodi debug is very rarely needed.

• Like 1

horstepipe

I'm able to resume but here is a few additional notes I and a few other testers have noticed

You should mention that you’re only able to resume when using Emby apps and not Kodi, right?

It's probably because it has to be synced again in the addon in order to get the new information that was just retrieved.

Angelblue05

It's probably because it has to be synced again in the addon in order to get the new information that was just retrieved.

You can run a repair for your movies and tv shows, it will force refresh all items of that type. Launch the emby for kodi add-on > repair database.

Edited by Angelblue05

jinxy88

@@Luke seems like 3.3.1.5 fixed @@ddurdle's problem and mine, meaning now even if you download an external srt file the mediainfo for the movie/tv stays there and you can also resume.

The problem on the other hand is that neither the webapp or emby theater wont display any external srt, only the ones embedded into the strm.

My guess it that in order to display the external srt it will need to transcode it.

Is there any fix around this?

Senna

With 3.3.1.5 I also have this problem with Emby Theater 2.9.7.

When an embedded subtitle is selected before play, content is direct playing and shows embedded subs OK. When subtitle is switched during play to a srt, the movie reverts to direct streaming and ffmpeg kicks in, but fails to show the srt subtitles. Comparing with local movie content that is direct playing, switching to srt never changes to direct streaming.

Also when an external srt subtitle is selected before play, Emby theater never plays the srt and sometimes it plays the default embedded subtitle track instead.

@@Luke Maybe related to subtitle selection bug ? >> https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57033-297-bug-in-subtitle-selection/

jinxy88

"Also when an external srt subtitle is selected before play, Emby theater never plays the srt and sometimes it plays the default embedded subtitle track instead."

Exactly the same thing happens to me aswell, but didnt describe it like you did @@Senna

horstepipe

Sorry @@Luke @@Angelblue05 I was rushing it a bit, let me describe it more structured :-)

Emby Server v3.3.1.5 running on a VPS
Emby for Kodi v3.0.15a

First thing to mention is that it runs absolutely flawless with Emby Theater. I'm only having the following described problems in Kodi.

Second thing to mention is that the problem could also be caused by @@ddurdle s script to access files from gdrive directly, he will investigate it this night.

So in Emby theater it works as intended. I can watch movies till the end, resume, skip and see absolutely no influence on the CPU or network traffic of my VPS while playback.

In Kodi it behaves contrary. Movies stop playing after a (random appearing) couple of minutes. I can't resume them (they start from the beginning), and I can't skip to a desired time frame. The outgoing network traffic of the VPS shows an amount corresponding to the movie's bitrate and all 6 CPU cores are slightly busy.

Emby server dashboard shows 'direct playing' for Theater and Kodi aswell, but everything points to it that indeed the stream is being transcoded or somehow processed by Emby Server when playing back in Kodi.

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

and I‘m having quite a lot of processes while playback in Kodi :-)

Edited by horstepipe

Angelblue05

The add-on is doing something weird. I'm checking why it's trying to direct stream the strm file.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

@@horstepipe

For some reason, the server is reporting the file container as being mkv, not strm. That's why it's not behaving right. Elsewhere it says your file is The Secret Man.1080p.dca.mkv.strm

Weird... But the resume point is detected now. 

20:20:33.841 T:8296  NOTICE: EMBY.playbackutils -> seektime detected (percent): 46.9924732613
Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

@@horstepipe

For some reason, the server is reporting the file container as being mkv, not strm. That's why it's not behaving right. Elsewhere it says your file is The Secret Man.1080p.dca.mkv.strm

Weird... But the resume point is detected now.

20:20:33.841 T:8296  NOTICE: EMBY.playbackutils -> seektime detected (percent): 46.9924732613

That’s probably the right behavior, the strm is pointing to a python script which redirects the video from gdrive directly to the client

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

Why is the server reporting the strm file as mkv the right behavior?

Ok maybe I got you wrong. Just wanted to say that the strm file resolves to a mkv.

horstepipe

Can you try to refresh the item on your server and capture a new log?

You mean a log from the refresh process or from playback afterwards?

• Like 1