API: allow duration to be supplied for strm files (to allow resume)

horstepipe

horstepipe

It's something we can review for a future update. Thanks.

I understand that all those strm files stuff doesn’t have a high priority for you, so I really appreciate that you made it work.

But now it is marked as ‘complete’, so shouldn’t you make sure this is fully working with a higher priority?

Generally spoken, introducing features but don’t make them fully working shouldn’t be the way to go in my opinion.

Best regards

horstepipe

can you provide some sample content? thanks.

here we go:

I made a fresh Emby server installation on windows and added one single movie. I played it back with Emby theater on the same machine -> I see the runtime in server dashboard and resuming works fine.

Then I took the same file, made a copy of it and made a multi movie edition movie from it

Buddy - Der Weihnachtself (2003) - Testedition 1.strm
Buddy - Der Weihnachtself (2003) - Testedition 2.strm

I put them in a new clean movie library so you can see everything that's going on from scratch in the log files I attached.

I can't resume these ones and I don't see the runtime in server dashboard.

ddurdle

example:

/u01/STRM/movies/5 to 7 (2014)

5 to 7 (2014) - original 1080p.strm
5 to 7 (2014) - USA 1080p.strm
5 to 7 (2014) - USA 420p.strm
5 to 7 (2014) - USA 720p.strm

ddurdle@instance-1:/u01/STRM/movies/5 to 7 (2014)$ cat "5 to 7 (2014) - original 1080p.strm"
http://premium.monkeydevices.com:9988/default.py?kv=---8xLLPxfCeSYFPjEjoXevIViNPGiq9DDhpH8Rhqus8B7Un0FxiOtdZtdQ---Nu0Dafpi9s0A55Z9vci7HmueGCJsZBtATm---ujGkiVQbCCdSXHPrzN0YLNjtY6X1N0oOMHHgRWKLRrsSO6b4Mg+X27+pWSi1qr4fjCOEETwgPg30wSSwlBrSXUe6+mqRPjBx2QZL1zrSU9BQeHU9bVwCugIuXB0XVd56gfdod3QfNxqWAJa1CjvMrG+3Jck5fF5VY5r
ddurdle@instance-1:/u01/STRM/movies/5 to 7 (2014)$ cat "5 to 7 (2014) - USA 1080p.strm"
http://transcode.monkeydevices.com:9988/default.py?kv=32KUkW9---e8oiApgO0LD+BMmuj+YW91bRVRTt5HfvgE7tR4oG7gRvIcLbhkXaVnUYmg---NWbl96GQIlQTyboISB3ZlN9s8Y4U---JCVUKklFz1x7IrK3SB3NjIb23aobvC904iAX---25ebqrBVu---ex1N0uZvFjIsmyiWszgtqQsHfzPq2HJ+ZHzgWk5FlG233usHI---faY6vIIbrfIpOT1ZQKnTP23rVnkcVCD2DkIsusJj+Nxp4Hmxah5myueyZn6frH7nwGkBV8FbDvecdswG7OzhQ==
ddurdle@instance-1:/u01/STRM/movies/5 to 7 (2014)$ cat "5 to 7 (2014) - USA 420p.strm"
http://transcode.monkeydevices.com:9988/default.py?kv=32KUkW9---e8oiApgO0LD+BMmuj+YW91bRVRTt5HfvgE7tR4oG7gRvIcLbhkXaVnUYmg---NWbl96GQIlQTyboISB3ZlN9s8Y4U---JCVUKklFz1x7IrK3SB3NjIb23aobvC904iAX---25ebqrBVu---ex1N0uZvFjIsmyiWszgtqQsHfzPq2HJ+ZHzgWk5FlG233usHI---faY6vIIbrfIpOT1ZQKnTP23rVnkcVCD2DkIsusJj+Nxp4Hmxah5myueyZn6frH7GzUTu4OzH72WSBkbuQmupw==
ddurdle@instance-1:/u01/STRM/movies/5 to 7 (2014)$ cat "5 to 7 (2014) - USA 720p.strm"
http://transcode.monkeydevices.com:9988/default.py?kv=32KUkW9---e8oiApgO0LD+BMmuj+YW91bRVRTt5HfvgE7tR4oG7gRvIcLbhkXaVnUYmg---NWbl96GQIlQTyboISB3ZlN9s8Y4U---JCVUKklFz1x7IrK3SB3NjIb23aobvC904iAX---25ebqrBVu---ex1N0uZvFjIsmyiWszgtqQsHfzPq2HJ+ZHzgWk5FlG233usHI---faY6vIIbrfIpOT1ZQKnTP23rVnkcVCD2DkIsusJj+Nxp4Hmxah5myueyZn6frH7Tcpb5ZX346O21lSzBmAvoQ==

• Like 1

ddurdle

Not a bug, but an observation I need to point out since a number of users running their own Emby pointed out the same.

Sometimes when watching a video for first time, the delay before startup is > the few seconds it takes to probe the STRM for the codec.  This is actually NOT actually directly the result of this change.  Rather, if the video has embedded subtitles, the new feature that was added to probe the STRM now reveals to Emby that the video has embedded subtitles.  And it would appear the behaviour of Emby is to extract these subtitles to store into the Emby database.  I saw a setting in transcoding about "on the fly" extraction of subtitles, and it does warn that enabling it could result in delays starting up playback.  So disabling it (in theory) will prevent this, but may impact your subtitles from loading. 

Just putting it out there as I've had a number of users thinking the slowness was related to the probe itself.

ddurdle

The extraction can be slow, yes.

I've never actually used an Emby Server with "normal" files (local media).  Does it normally do the SRT extraction on local files on a scheduler or is it always on first playback?

If I provide my own SRT files in the same directory as the movie, will it still perform the extraction on first playback?  Why I ask, if it doesn't, then at least one could run a batch ffmpeg job to extract the SRTs themselves.  I know one user who advised me he never has slow first time playback, but he advised me he always stores his own SRT files alongside his STRM files.

Edited by ddurdle

The extraction process has to read the entire video, so come to think of it, we really shouldn't be doing this at all for remote media and should instead just burn them in with transcoding.

• 2 months later...
horstepipe

Just so you are aware, movies where there are multiple qualities available (where the quality selection dropdown appears), the scanning does not happen.  No stream details or resume points are activated.

This is fixed in current stable, thank you!!!