Transcode in H265

Snaaaake

byakuya32
20 minutes ago, runtimesandbox said:

Even though h266 is out, i'd much rather we focused on getting h265 support in especially as many generations of graphics cards and cpu have support for it now. 

I know it uses ffmpeg so it should just be a matter of adjusting the config string to live transcode.

syadnom

most devices support h265.  so that should be the target.  h266 is years from having wide client hardware support so it's pretty uninteresting now and for at least a couple of years.

nSGecko
11 hours ago, byakuya32 said:

I know it uses ffmpeg so it should just be a matter of adjusting the config string to live transcode.

from what I see in the FFmpeg arguments in Jellyfin, you are right. Plus any client/server UI adaptation to control it and detect wether or not to use it because a client is not compatible...

But this feature must not be on the top priority list of the tasks's backlog in here. Same for Plex team, as h264 is working great for everybody anyway, but hey, we are not everybody since we ask this for years :) We are not just enough to complain about...

byakuya32
15 minutes ago, nSGecko said:

from what I see in the FFmpeg arguments in Jellyfin, you are right. Plus any client/server UI adaptation to control it and detect wether or not to use it because a client is not compatible...

But this feature must not be on the top priority list of the tasks's backlog in here. Same for Plex team, as h264 is working great for everybody anyway, but hey, we are not everybody since we ask this for years :) We are not just enough to complain about...

If you travel and watch your stuff in areas of low bandwidth due to work h265 is a must or the image looks like crap as you are luck in those areas to get 2mbps down. H264 works great when you are accessing your server with good internet.

Edited by byakuya32

WGB123
2 minutes ago, byakuya32 said:

If you travel and watch your stuff in areas of low bandwidth due to work h265 is a must or the image looks like crap as you are luck in those areas to get 2mbps down. H264 works great when you are accessing your server with good internet.

Exactly!!!

nSGecko
33 minutes ago, byakuya32 said:

Exactly my case :)

+ the fact that my upload speed at home is limited to 35mbits so the number of decent streams away from home is more limited in h264 than h265.

byakuya32
25 minutes ago, nSGecko said:

Exactly my case :)

+ the fact that my upload speed at home is limited to 35mbits so the number of decent streams away from home is more limited in h264 than h265.

There is that that's not so much an issue as when I have to travel as I have gigabit symetrical at home but when I travel the down speeds are questionable.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
tofuSCHNITZEL

I would like for the AndroidTV app to be able to play h265 directly so the h265 videos that are already on my server can be played WITHOUT transcoding (NAS is to slow for that)

byakuya32

I would like to see the windows app play h265 and not have to transcode to h.264

byakuya32
25 minutes ago, tofuSCHNITZEL said:

I would like for the AndroidTV app to be able to play h265 directly so the h265 videos that are already on my server can be played WITHOUT transcoding (NAS is to slow for that)

I have an android TV and all my h265 plays in direct play. I have a debian based server with an 8 core ryzen cpu.

6 hours ago, tofuSCHNITZEL said:

Hi.  The app already does and that is not related to this particular request.  If you are having an issue, please create a new thread in the Android TV forum.  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Roei000

It's been a more than a year since the last update so I'm not 100% sure but, has this been implemented? It'd be a massive time (and data) saver.