Jump to content

Show Intro Skip Option (Plugin)


Liquidfire88

Recommended Posts

stevehoffman203
2 minutes ago, chef said:

@stevehoffman203 you may have issues having loaded the old plugin.

Please PM us if you run into problems.

I will go back through the thread and remove all the versions prior to the current release.

Apologies.

No problem.  So far, so good, but should I rerun the finger printing and detection again with the new plugin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, stevehoffman203 said:

No problem.  So far, so good, but should I rerun the finger printing and detection again with the new plugin?

If you only have a few 1000 episodes or less, then I would (delete the titlesequence.db file and restart emby) - but if you have spent days on FP and Detection using the previous version, then we can work around it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stevehoffman203 said:

No problem.  So far, so good, but should I rerun the finger printing and detection again with the new plugin?

EDIT: rbjtech beat me to it :)

 I think it's going to be a bit more involved then that. I apologize.

  • Please find this file: "Emby-Server/programdata/data/titlesequence.db"
  • Delete it!
  • Restart the server with the latest release plugin installed.
  • Clear browsing data
  • Re-run fingerprinting.

 

This way you have the latest update, and we'll know for sure that you won't run into any issues with the current methods looking for specific files which don't exist.

Again I apologize. I have removed links in the thread to old versions.

I believe we will be posting releases on the Github releases page moving forward. Then everyone will have access to the wiki, and the releases page.

Github can keep things more organized then this thread.

 

Edited by chef
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stevehoffman203
Just now, rbjtech said:

If you only have a few 1000 episodes or less, then I would (delete the titlesequence.db file and restart emby) - but if you have spent days on FP and Detection using the previous version, then we can work around it.

I have about 1800 episodes.  I don't mind at all to rescan everything.  I've already done it several times during troubleshooting which ended up being a bad episode in a series that was causing a hang.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

stevehoffman203
Just now, chef said:

 I think it's going to be a bit more involved then that. I apologize.

  • Please find this file: "Emby-Server/programdata/data/titlesequence.db"
  • Delete it!
  • Restart the server with the latest release plugin installed.
  • Clear browsing data
  • Re-run fingerprinting.

 

This way you have the latest update, and we'll know for sure that you won't run into any issues with the current methods looking for specific files which don't exist.

Again I apologize. I have removed links in the thread to old versions.

I believe we will be posting releases on the Github releases page moving forward. Then everyone will have access to the wiki, and the releases page.

Github can keep things more organized then this thread.

 

No need to apologize!  That's what beta testing is all about, right?  I'll take care of it now and report back if there's any issues.

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, stevehoffman203 said:

I have about 1800 episodes.  I don't mind at all to rescan everything.  I've already done it several times during troubleshooting which ended up being a bad episode in a series that was causing a hang.

This is interesting.

Was it ffmpeg that was hanging? 

What sort of trouble shooting steps did you go through to narrow down which episode it was?

Edited by chef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stevehoffman203
1 minute ago, chef said:

This is interesting.

Was it ffmpeg that was hanging? 

What sort of trouble shooting steps did you go through to narrow do which episode it was?

Someone mentioned turning on debug logging after I had deleted the db and rescanned.  I found in the debug log that it was an issue with the encoding.  It was a crap series anyway, so I just deleted the whole thing and everything scanned OK after that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I may, I have a couple remaining questions on my side :

  • Would it be technically possible to have some sort of countdown before auto skipping instead of the message saying that the auto skip just ran ? I assume that would trigger x messages to the client (one per second) starting at a predefined time before the start of the opening titles. Or just a single message moments before the activation.
  • I tested the following behavior of the plugin (is that correct?)
    • Skip intro seems to only work once play session which means :
      • if you go back in time after auto skip, the auto skip is not triggered again
      • if you go back to the previous chapter, auto skip is not triggered again either
      • if you go back in time, stop the episode and resume it (inside the intro), the auto skip kicks in right away
  • Do you have an eta for a public release or when you consider the plugin mature enough ? I'm not sure if I can enable it to all my users or I should keep it to myself for now.

 

Thanks ! :)

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nSGecko said:

If I may, I have a couple remaining questions on my side :

  • Would it be technically possible to have some sort of countdown before auto skipping instead of the message saying that the auto skip just ran ? I assume that would trigger x messages to the client (one per second) starting at a predefined time before the start of the opening titles. Or just a single message moments before the activation.
  • I tested the following behavior of the plugin (is that correct?)
    • Skip intro seems to only work once play session which means :
      • if you go back in time after auto skip, the auto skip is not triggered again
      • if you go back to the previous chapter, auto skip is not triggered again either
      • if you go back in time, stop the episode and resume it (inside the intro), the auto skip kicks in right away
  • Do you have an eta for a public release or when you consider the plugin mature enough ? I'm not sure if I can enable it to all my users or I should keep it to myself for now.

 

Thanks ! :)

Hey! Yeah you are right auto skip will only happen once during the stream. If you stop the stream and start it again, it will work again, but it was by design so we didn't have any accidental seeking during the episodes story line.... Oh an memory consumption... Auto skip does hold some memory. So we want to throw away anything that we don't need.

A count down (although possible) may inadvertently swamp the client with messages. So... probabaly can't do that. 😬

A major release will most likely happen over the next couple months, as we move towards seeing a button for the intro skip enabled throughout the clients. 😃

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

samuelqwe
Just now, chef said:

Hey! Yeah you are right auto skip will only happen once during the stream. If you stop the stream and start it again, it will work again, but it was by design so we didn't have any accidental seeking during the episodes story line.

I just want to add that because it only skips once, this allows you to easily seek back if the auto skip skipped part of the show that it wasn't supposed to.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@chef when a series is splittet into multiple folders, it appears multiple times in the drop down, see my screenshot below.

i can select any of the both and it shows me the complete serie, so maybe possible to check for name / id of the serie and show it only once in the drop down?

 

 

and i dont know if its not maybe better to show only series in the drop down which alrdy got a title sequence run?

for example if you have 100 series and you have only done a run for maybe 13 series, the other 87 should not appear in the list so we can faster see which serie alrdy got his titel sequence run.

maybe you can add a option so ppl can choose if they will see all series in the drop down or only this series / seasons with a titel sequence run alrdy done.

 

 

and the last think: why does it only show 5 items per page and it is not possible to choose if you want to see 5 / 10 / 25 or all?

would be nice if you can add something like that, too.

 

 

thank you for your attention and sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand what i mean with all the things 😉

Screenshot.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spegeli said:

@chef when a series is splittet into multiple folders, it appears multiple times in the drop down, see my screenshot below.

i can select any of the both and it shows me the complete serie, so maybe possible to check for name / id of the serie and show it only once in the drop down?

 

 

and i dont know if its not maybe better to show only series in the drop down which alrdy got a title sequence run?

for example if you have 100 series and you have only done a run for maybe 13 series, the other 87 should not appear in the list so we can faster see which serie alrdy got his titel sequence run.

maybe you can add a option so ppl can choose if they will see all series in the drop down or only this series / seasons with a titel sequence run alrdy done.

 

 

and the last think: why does it only show 5 items per page and it is not possible to choose if you want to see 5 / 10 / 25 or all?

would be nice if you can add something like that, too.

 

 

thank you for your attention and sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand what i mean with all the things 😉

Screenshot.png

Thanks so much for the feedback @Spegeli!

Okay, I'll see what I can do about the duplicate entries in the series select box.

Duplicates are in there because emby has two entries in the library.db for those series. 

This happens to me as well. I hadn't thought about it being caused by series spanning more then one folder. That's a good catch! 👍

 

The table will show up to five items because we extract images (using ffmpeg) on the fly each time you load the configuration UI (unless you have turned on the image cache option).

We use to load the entire season in the table, but ffmpeg has a tendency to go rogue in the system processes, and sometimes it won't exit properly. This will happen when too many instances are loading at once. 

When we start on the next version (which will integrate heavily with emby chapters), we should be able to go back to loading the entire season. We probabaly won't have to extract images because they will exist as chapter thumbnails already. 

So yes, eventually, this will happen. 👍

 

Loading the series select with items that have been processed is a good idea. Let's see what we can do when integrate the chapters API. 👍

 

Awesome! 

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to share my results on a fresh install so far.

This process (fresh install) would take about 9 days to finish all together before using the detection default of 2. Also, if I'm not mistaken using a slower detection would help with a more accurate rate.  

So, I started on 1/25

Episode fingerprinting started on 1/25 @9:20 am and it finished on 1/26 @4:02 pm (The speed on this step seems to have definitely picked up for me) 

Episode Title Sequence/Chapter both started on 1/26 @4:02pm (Still in progress but at 8.5%)

Screenshot_1.jpg.8797ab3b9d1aeba5be0a3310a391ccce.jpg

So far so good. I will share the continued and final results soon hopefully. Thank you all again for the hard work.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, STR8 said:

I wanted to share my results on a fresh install so far.

This process (fresh install) would take about 9 days to finish all together before using the detection default of 2. Also, if I'm not mistaken using a slower detection would help with a more accurate rate.  

So, I started on 1/25

Episode fingerprinting started on 1/25 @9:20 am and it finished on 1/26 @4:02 pm (The speed on this step seems to have definitely picked up for me) 

Episode Title Sequence/Chapter both started on 1/26 @4:02pm (Still in progress but at 8.5%)

Screenshot_1.jpg.8797ab3b9d1aeba5be0a3310a391ccce.jpg

So far so good. I will share the continued and final results soon hopefully. Thank you all again for the hard work.

 

Oh! Both the chapters and the detection Task started at the same time. That should be okay.

Usually the chapter task starts afterwards, I don't think it will cause any issues. 

@rbjtech has that ever happened before? 🤔 Will it cause a race condition on the db?

EDIT: It's alright. I just tried it. cool.

Edited by chef
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Cool - that's why we opted to have the message advising what had just happened - you can turn this on/off as you wish. 

Speaking of the message: Is there a way to disable it on Shield/Android TV? It obscures the view and stays on for a pretty "long" time, or could you change it to announce via the system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Weevillo said:

Speaking of the message: Is there a way to disable it on Shield/Android TV? It obscures the view and stays on for a pretty "long" time, or could you change it to announce via the system?

Intro/Credit Skip Page > Auto skip Tab > Show Auto skip Message is the only option for that to completely disable the message.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-28 à 09.24.46.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I done a test with a Serie, the intro and outro was found without any Problems.

But When i Start a Episode, Auto skip Not working and for manuell the skip window Not appear. 

Tested in the Web Browser. 

 

Do i need to enable anything Else? 

16433626643606522858719801921934.jpg

164336271493143816064870686970.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Weevillo said:

Speaking of the message: Is there a way to disable it on Shield/Android TV? It obscures the view and stays on for a pretty "long" time, or could you change it to announce via the system?

As above - the API suggests there is a way to alter the timing it stays on the screen, and @chef has coded this into the Plugin to allow a shorter or longer message duration, BUT in real usage, I don't think it makes any different at all...

Any other feedback welcome on this - it may, unfortunately, be something outside of our control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Spegeli said:

I done a test with a Serie, the intro and outro was found without any Problems.

But When i Start a Episode, Auto skip Not working and for manuell the skip window Not appear. 

Tested in the Web Browser. 

 

Do i need to enable anything Else? 

16433626643606522858719801921934.jpg

164336271493143816064870686970.jpg

Are you testing in a Web browser - if yes, then ensure your playback is in the 'first' tab only - as the emby session manager is not yet multi-tab aware...

Edit - I've added this to the Wiki, as it's catching a few people out :)

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/3.-Settings#4-auto-skip

 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Are you testing in a Web browser - if yes, then ensure your playback is in the 'first' tab only - as the emby session manager is not yet multi-tab aware...

 

Thx for this Info 🙂

Tested now on my Phone via App and there it works. Will later test it again in the Browser. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, STR8 said:

I wanted to share my results on a fresh install so far.

This process (fresh install) would take about 9 days to finish all together before using the detection default of 2. Also, if I'm not mistaken using a slower detection would help with a more accurate rate.  

So, I started on 1/25

Episode fingerprinting started on 1/25 @9:20 am and it finished on 1/26 @4:02 pm (The speed on this step seems to have definitely picked up for me) 

Episode Title Sequence/Chapter both started on 1/26 @4:02pm (Still in progress but at 8.5%)

Screenshot_1.jpg.8797ab3b9d1aeba5be0a3310a391ccce.jpg

So far so good. I will share the continued and final results soon hopefully. Thank you all again for the hard work.

 

Yes thanks for testing.

Episode Audio Fingerprinting is heavily I/O bound (local disk/NAS etc) while Episode Title (and End credit..) Sequence Detection is heavily CPU bound.

So depending on your system strengths and weaknesses - tasks may take longer than other users.

From a lot of testing myself, keeping the defaults @ 2 (FP) and 2 (Detect) is correct for the average system. 

If you have a strong CPU (6 core+), then maybe increase Detect to 4.

Sometimes if you have slow I/O or NAS, then actually setting FP to 1 is actually faster.

A little bit of trial and error is required to find the correct combo for your system plus of course if it's in daily use, you don't want to bring it to it's knees ! 😬

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Episode Audio Fingerprinting is heavily I/O bound (local disk/NAS etc) while Episode Title (and End credit..) Sequence Detection is heavily CPU bound.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. It might be worth adding more information for those settings right below the input box no ?

The number of TV Shows to process audio fingerprints concurrently. Lower powered machines should keep the default of 2. NAS or Network drive media should set to 1.

The fingerprinting process was running since yesterday evening on my setup and seems to be slowing down in the end (above 91% this early morning and currently at 93%).

I just changed the setting from 5 to 1 since your post. I hope it will take into account without the need to restart the process. By the way, I assume if I stop and run the fingerprinting process, it will restart where it left off and process any remaining items ?

 

EDIT: I should have kept the default settings, 2 is good even for a NAS over gigabit. :)

Edited by nSGecko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nSGecko said:

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. It might be worth adding more information for those settings right below the input box no ?

The number of TV Shows to process audio fingerprints concurrently. Lower powered machines should keep the default of 2. NAS or Network drive media should set to 1.

The fingerprinting process was running since yesterday evening on my setup and seems to be slowing down in the end (above 91% this early morning and currently at 93%).

I just changed the setting from 5 to 1 since your post. I hope it will take into account without the need to restart the process. By the way, I assume if I stop and run the fingerprinting process, it will restart where it left off and process any remaining items ?

For finger printing - Yes, it restarts on the next episode where it left off.  For Detect, Yes but it will restart the current show 'Season' again - ie it won't start from mid-season as that's not the way it works, but this is probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Changing the settings - I've always restarted emby/plugin as it holds these values in an XML - but it may be dynamic - I need to test myself haha :)

Yes 2 on NAS is normally fine - it really depends on how fast your system can process the I/O and create the FP, the faster it can do it, the more data it will demand from the NAS... and on a 1Gig connection, that is likely to become the bottleneck, not the NAS itself, hence 2 seems about right.

Thanks for the feedback on these settings - we may be able to tweak these or have 'presets' down the line - but as everybody's systems are different, we went conservative to avoid maxing the systems when running the tasks.. 👍

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sydlexius

Hey @chef, I have a suggestion for potentially speeding up matching within a season.  I have shows, such as Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood that has 130 episodes in season 1.  If I understand the matching mechanism used after fingerprinting, that would mean roughly 130^2 episodes to match (approximately 16900 pairings).  Compared to a typical show that has 20-25 episodes/season (or fewer), this exponential growth creates disproportionate levels of computational weight.  Might I suggest for your algorithm to subsample random episodes (say, 5-10%) for title sequence detection, and once you have a confidence level for the top choice over a certain percentage, begin matching the other 90-95% against that value?  If the confidence level is below a certain threshold, then continue to match more episodes? I realize I'm probably both oversimplifying and possibly even incorrectly describing some of the functions, but there has to be a better way to handle shows like this?

Further, what are your thoughts on certain series (such as, say, Attack of the TItans) whose 4th season is split, and has a different intro for the 2nd half?  Forgive me if you've already addressed this.

Cheers,

Jesse 

Edited by sydlexius
omitted alternative option.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sydlexius said:

Hey @chef, I have a suggestion for potentially speeding up matching within a season.  I have shows, such as Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood that has 130 episodes in season 1.  If I understand the matching mechanism used after fingerprinting, that would mean roughly 130^2 episodes to match (approximately 16900 pairings).  Compared to a typical show that has 20-25 episodes/season (or fewer), this exponential growth creates disproportionate levels of computational weight.  Might I suggest for your algorithm to subsample random episodes (say, 5-10%) for title sequence detection, and once you have a confidence level for the top choice over a certain percentage, begin matching the other 90-95% against that value?  If the confidence level is below a certain threshold, then continue to match more episodes? I realize I'm probably both oversimplifying and possibly even incorrectly describing some of the functions, but there has to be a better way to handle shows like this?

Further, what are your thoughts on certain series (such as, say, Attack of the TItans) whose 4th season is split, and has a different intro for the 2nd half?  Forgive me if you've already addressed this.

Cheers,

Jesse 

They only compare within a season so it's not a factorial calculation of all the episodes...just a factorial of the number of episodes within a season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...