[SOLVED] Music Playback issue - not sure if Emby or OSMC

jbmangan

I'm not aware of any playback problems in the web app. I thought this entire discussion was about Emby for Kodi. Can you please go over in detail an example with the web app? thanks.

jmangan

Luke, I couldn't get anywhere with the Kodi problem. I rebuilt OSMC on one of the Pis (as I wrote above) and it picked up the library correctly but still wouldn't play.

At that point I started looking at the server again (since switching it is when this whole problem started). I thought using the web app gave me a more direct connection to the server without an intermediate plug-in and related settings. I found that some tracks wouldn't play through the web app either (nut not 100% like in OSMC). 

This seems to be a random scattering; whole albums are fine, some have one track that won't play or is just silent, some whole albums just don't work.

So at this point I thought that, after all, the problem could be with the server and went through the troubleshooting steps above which seems to confirm that something odd is occurring and I uploaded a log in the hope that it might shed some light on what is going on.

All of the files for my music library are in one folder (/data/emby/cds) on a disk array in the Centos Server so there is no onward network link. The film and TV DVD files (mkv) are all also on the same disk and are working fine.

jmangan

"So then i started looking at the server with the web client. I found that tracks which I am very confident used to play okay wouldn't play (although most still do). Some are silent but some just stick at 0:00 no matter how often I click 'Play'. I ran an 'xfs_repair -c' on the drive but that came back clean. Still can't get the 'working' ones to play on OSMC but I find it difficult to believe that the problem isn't related.

So then I copied some of these tracks (Ogg files) onto a Windows PC where they play perfectly! - in VLC So the files are not corrupt. Also tried copying them back to Emby but that made no difference." - in the web client.

"So what I have done now is reboot the server and attempted to play some working and some non-working tracks (Dire Straits - not working, 10CC - working, Dire Straits - not working) - in the web client. I have attached the log in the hope that somebody can work out what is happening."

Edited by jmangan

jmangan

I can upload when I get home.

Is there a way to send that 'safely' since it is copyrighted material and I don't want to be accused of distribution?

jmangan

I don't know if this is helpful or distracting but on OSMC on RPi 3 with Emby for Kodi Add-On.

Saw this pop-up message:

Title:
Emby for Kodi

Library sync thread has exited! You should restart Kodi now.
Please report this on the forum.
IntegrityError
(threading,783,810:librarysync,627,619,725,571:itemtypes,89:
constraint failed: song.idSong)(self.cursor.execute(query,(args))))

I clicked 'Ok' and rebooted and it looks fine but the message said to report it so I have.

Angelblue05

Possible for you to post your kodi log? It should contain more info so we can fix the error you got. Let me know, thanks.

Check your kodi.old.log since you restarted kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

With this particular file it looks like a problem with the Chrome audio player. You can confirm this outside of Emby simply by opening a new browser tab and dragging and dropping the file onto the tab. It won't play there either. It works perfectly fine in Firefox and MS Edge though.

jmangan

I don't have Edge but I will try that file and a few others in IE/Firefox and report back.

So, it may have nothing to do with the OSMC issue after all.

Why can't stuff be simple....

jmangan

Luke, yep you're right. I tried everyone of the tracks that wouldn't play at all, in IE this time, and they're all fine.

I never even considered the browser might be an issue. So an interesting but pointless distraction.

I still have a problem with OSMC and I'm no nearer identifying what it is.

Is there anything I can do to generate some more useful information?

jmangan

Well, they play alright in the apps and now that I'm using the 'right' browser they play alright in the web app. The one I sent to you plays alright on VLC so it doesn't seem likely?

One question did occur to me. On the new server I set the user logons with 'empty' PINs so that I don't have to type passwords on the local network. Would the 'Emby for Kodi' add-on be okay with that or should I put a password in regardless? It didn't occur to me before because TV/Films/Home Movies work but Angelblue05 did say that Music is treated differently.

Maybe I should rephrase - perhaps there is something wrong with the files to the extent that they only play in players that are designed to be highly resilient and handle just about anything, which browser players generally are not. 

jmangan

But, again, they used to play fine on OSMC until I changed the server so that still seems unlikely (to me).

Is there anything else I can do that might generate some useful information on OSMC/Emby for Kodi?

Have you attached an Emby for Kodi log from the time of the playback attempt? thanks !

dcrdev

So just to clarify:

• Your Raspberry PIs have the CentOS system's nfs or smb shares mounted natively i.e. via fstab or systemd etc.. ?

That being the case are you sure that you have the correct permissions (if using nfs) or umask (if using smb) on /data/emby/cds/ ; what is the output of "ls -hlpa /data/emby/cds/" ?

Also is the CentOS server a new install - if your using samba and have selinux enabled then /data/emby/cds/ may not have the right selinux context to allow fread via smbd; this would explain why these files are playing via other apps. To test this theory you could run setenforce 0 as root, if that works, you can get to work setting / restoring the context of that directory.

jmangan

dcrdev, no I'm not using any smb or nfs shares. I'm using the add-on in native/http mode. This is what I had before and I would prefer not to enable network shares unnecessarily.

If I run an add-on 'database reset' I get all of my music, films, tv, etc. populated. I don't know if that is getting a live scan of the directories on the server or just an export of a database on the emby/CentOS server but whatever it is that bit works.

TV/films/home movies all play okay on OSMC but music just does nothing, no 'busy' wheel, no audio controls bar, just a long pause and then 'an item failed to play. Check the logs'.

Luke, I'll rip some mp3s and load them up to see if that makes any difference and let you know.

Edited by jmangan

Angelblue05

Please, provide a screenshot of your music settings in the emby for kodi addon > sync options tab. Music should work if you have HTTP enabled for music. In your logs, it's clearly not pointing to HTTP, Kodi is searching for data/emby/cds.  So something must be off in your settings, before you reset your local database.

Edited by Angelblue05

jmangan

Angelblue05, I've provided a screenshot previously - post 12, Page 1 of this thread.  I haven't entered any path information in Emby for Kodi settings so I don't know where it is getting that from. All I've provided is an IP address and network credentials. The account I'm using is also setup with an empty PIN so I don't even need to enter a password.

Luke, I ripped some mp3s and copied them over to the emby 'cds' directory. I can play them okay in the web app but they won't play in OSMC.

I rebooted OSMC before running tests and then tried to play several mp3 files followed by some OGG.

The log (from OSMC) is here:  https://paste.ubuntu.com/24940415

Ok so you can't even play mp3's, that sounds like something pretty fundamental then.