[SOLVED] Music Playback issue - not sure if Emby or OSMC

jbmangan

jbmangan

Hi,

I've been running my Emby server (CentOS 7) on a 'proof of concept' box for a while so I decided it was time to get it settled on something a bit more permanent.

It's also CentOS7 and seems to be running fine with just one small bugbear.

On Android, iOS and web I haven't found any problem so far. However I have two Raspberry Pi3 (1 * WiFi, 1 * wired) running OSMC with the Emby for Kodi add-on. Add-on is running in native mode (no SMB/NFS at all on the network). I'm not using DNLA or UPnP for anything either.

They both populate the database successfully and playback of Films, TV Shows, home movies and photos is fine. However music will not play on either. I just get a message that one or more items has failed to play. Check the logs.

Now the fact that I have only seen this behaviour on the two OSMC devices would normally make me think that is a problem with them but they have been working fine for months until I changed the server which makes me think it is more to do with that.

I have attached a log which first has a clip of music played from a web interface (192.168.144.81/Windows 7) @17:40. A few moments later I tried from one of the OSMC devices with the usual result.

Any ideas, please?

Log.txt

Edited by jbmangan

Angelblue05

Can you tell me your path to your music library from the webclient metadata manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

No, what is the actual path to your music library. I think that it's invalid and probably your issue. You need to add a network path probably.

@@jmangan, what path did you add to  your music library in Emby library setup? did you also enter the optional network path or did you leave that blank?

jmangan

Oh, okay. This is the Music Library set up.:

5942193b021e0_MusicLibrary.png

This is the 'same' as the other libraries. I don't have any network paths. I haven't set up SMB/NFS/etc.

And music works on everything else I've tested other than the OSMC devices.

...and the OSMC devices worked before I replaced the server.

Edited by jmangan

Angelblue05

Kodi is different. The music library doesn't work the same as the video library. If you don't setup a network path, you will need to change the settings in the addon, for music set to direct stream. you will need to reset your database in Kodi and let it resync so the music can use http path instead.

jmangan

Angelblue05, sorry if I'm being dense here.

So 'Native Mode' (which I'm using) relies on using a network share.

'Direct Stream' uses the http protocol.

I don't recall ever using 'Direct Stream' but I did reset the database when I changed server (and several times since) so maybe I lost the setting then.

(This has generated all manner of questions in my head about why music and video are treated differently, why one relies on network shares and the other doesn't, how I managed to get it right while messing around with my early setup but can't now and so on and so on)

I will give it a go when I get home and report back.

Thanks.

Angelblue05

Ok sorry, I thought you might have been using addon mode, not native, which could have explained why video works and not music. Are the music and video library located in the same directory? I think you'll need to confirm Kodi can access your music files by going to the add-on zip install, navigate to your music and see if Kodi has access to your files. Let me know.

jmangan

I think I am getting more confused or I am not explaining myself well.

All of the data is on a CentOS 7 server in a directory /data/emby. Under this are tv/dvds/cds directories for the different media. This all works fine from iOS/Android/Web Client.

The OSMC devices successfully synch with all of the libraries and play all video content (including any associated audio) but will not play the music (ripped CDs). They worked fine before I swapped the server for what I believed was an identical configuration.

On the OSMC devices if I go to Add-ons -> Music Add-ons -> Emby -> Settings -> Sync Options I get the following screen.

5942bd52dabe0_IMG_20170615_175209.jpg

These are the settings I tried most recently and the ones I believe were active when I uploaded the OSMC logs a few days ago.

Following your suggestion I tried switching Playback Mode to  'Native (Direct Paths) with 'Direct Stream Music Library' but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Generally on any transition or when waiting for media to start playing there is a little animated segmented blue circle but I don't get that while waiting for the CDs wait to fail. I don't know if that tells you anything or not.

Thanks,

Angelblue05

No. I said nevermind to that.

I just want you to navigate to your /data/emby/cds in kodi (where your music is located. Kodi needs access to them directly to playback). You can do that by going to kodi settings > addons > install from zip. Then navigate to the folder. Does Kodi have access? That's all I want you to confirm at this point. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

jmangan

I can't do that. Kodi is running on a Raspberry Pi and the music is on a CentOS server running Emby with no network shares enabled. I would rather avoid enabling SMB if at all possible - and it worked previously without network shares.

Angelblue05

Ok then, there's not much I can do here. Enable Kodi debug, try playing music and post your log. Hopefully the Kodi debug will give us more info on why your music fails to play. My guess it's some permission issue of sort.

Angelblue05

Ok, well it says the data doesn't exist at the path location. I don't know your system, but once you figure this out, music will be able to work. If the path is correct, check permissions. If the path is incorrect, change it in emby, then repair your music library using the emby for kodi add-on.

jmangan

I think I will try building a clean OSMC installation. Everything else works on OSMC and everything else including the music works on every other device (using the same credentials) so it has to be something odd on the OSMC devices. Maybe it doesn't like servers being switched out from underneath it.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Something along those lines for sure. Keep me posted.

Edited by Angelblue05

jmangan

Okay, this is getting even more confusing.

I put a clean OSMC on the Pi, installed Emby for Kodi and configured it. It synched up without any problems so I know it's not old data on there.

Same problem. So then i started looking at the server with the web client. I found that tracks which I am very confident used to play okay wouldn't play (although most still do). Some are silent but some just stick at 0:00 no matter how often I click 'Play'. I ran an 'xfs_repair -c' on the drive but that came back clean. Still can't get the 'working' ones to play on OSMC but I find it difficult to believe that the problem isn't related.

So then I copied some of these tracks (Ogg files) onto a Windows PC where they play perfectly! So the files are not corrupt. Also tried copying them back but that made no difference.

I deleted the music library on the server, scanned libraries and left it for a few hours before re-creating and scanning again. No difference.

I was running a custom copy of JohnvanSickle's ffmpeg from April so I updated it to June but it made no difference (I was getting desperate).

So what I have done now is reboot the server and attempted to play some working and some non-working tracks (Dire Straits - not working, 10CC - working, Dire Straits - not working). I have attached the log in the hope that somebody can work out what is happening.

Thanks.

Emby Music.rtf

All I see is playback here from the web app. What time did you try to play from Emby for Kodi?

jmangan

Luke, I'm working on the assumption that the playback problems on the web app (which I previously wasn't aware of) are related in some way to the Kodi issue.

All this log is is playing from a web app some tracks that work and some that don't. I was hoping that the log might indicate if something is up with the music library which would explain the playback issues both in the web app and Kodi.

I hope that helps.