Emby Theater - Option for MadVR Disappeared

srolomc

spon

I am a supporting member and am extremely disappointed with the change from MadVR. I literally spent months learning about MadVR settings to get the best possible picture quality with the lowest file size. I invested in a new hardware specifically to play HEVC files because I liked how MadVR could make them look. Now I either need to learn this new decoder or find a replacement for Emby, which I love. Super super disappointing. This is going to sound completely ridiculous but I actually feel like crying. lol. All of the hours spent researching, learning, encoding.....*sigh*

In addition to supporting monetarily, I've personally gotten at least 8-10 people to switch to Emby from other systems specifically due to it's MadVR support, along with multi-platform usage. Does anyone have a suggestion for a viable alternative besides Kodi/XMBC and Plex?

Edited by spon

spon

im glad i didnt buy a lifetime licence.

I am back with Jriver now as they support all types of renderer which is what i think Emby Team should have done.

Such a shame because i love everything else about Emby!

I did buy a lifetime license, but to me it's not about the $$, it's about now having to spend countless hours figuring out what to switch to. I used XMBC for years, but liked Emby better so switch a few years ago. Now I need to find something else. 

I agree with you. I love almost everything about Emby but lack of madvr support is a complete non-starter for me. External players will not work either because I use Emby on at least 5 different locations and I absolutely must have resume feature.

• Like 1

Same case as spon. There is nothing that can beat MadVR. Darbee or ultra-expensive video devices can't compete with it. I use an old video projector, using MadVR it allows me to calibrate and enhance the picture. The final result can compete with actual video projector (without calibration!).

- Why didn't you release a version of Emby Theater including MadVr and let us know that it will be the last "MadVRversion ? It'ss like buying a car and discovering months after that someone changed the engine (for a inferior one in my case).

- Using an old release of Emby doesn't work. Everything crashes. If you remove the updating exec, it asks for it when it starts = bad

- Why the Emby team didn't communicate with its users ? A thread on this forum is not enough.

- Now that Emby use Mpv I don't see any interest in using it anymore. Mpv's integration is better in Plex. Plex is more stable now. User base is strong. 

- I tried Jriver. Software is clumsy but it includes MadVR. I will switch to Jriver for video projections and Plex for the rest.

- I'm trying to see with PayPal if I can somehow cancel my license and get a refund. Not because I need the money but I felt the Emby team has been careless so I should be careless as well.

Edited by ybnl

daedalus

- Using an old release of Emby doesn't work. Everything crashes. If you remove the updating exec, it asks for it when it starts = bad

the old one (2.5.40) works and will work until some skin changes might break it some day

change in your ET system.xml

<EnableAutoUpdate>false</EnableAutoUpdate>

and replace the updater with an empty file just named like the updater -> problem solved for the moment

speedingcheetah

the old one (2.5.40) works and will work until some skin changes might break it some day

change in your ET system.xml

<EnableAutoUpdate>false</EnableAutoUpdate>

and replace the updater with an empty file just named like the updater -> problem solved for the moment

Doesn't work for me, still pops up even when set to false and when i replace the updater with a file named the same, it tries to launch that file every time.

tman

Thanks fort he tip. Deleting the auto update file isn't really an option, as it triggers a warning.

Edited by tman

Within the next couple weeks we'll add an option to enable madvr for video files. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 9

DaSilva

Thanks Luke!!!

Maybe I'm asking too much but would it be possible to have this user configurable.

Like for the wife and the kids account use mpv and for my account being able to use madVR?

Edited by DaSilva

Sammy

Within the next couple weeks we'll add an option to enable madvr for video files. Thanks for the feedback.

This is fantastic news!

daveyravey1972

great news Luke. Thanks for listening to feedback. MadVR is important for a lot of people. You have just got yourself a customer back

;o)

uirchris

A real shame that MadVR has gone. I will keep checking back to see if the HDR aspect is implemented and may consider paying again if you do.

Edit - Just seen the above post. So will check back in a few weeks.

Edited by uirchris

speedingcheetah

An observation...

E.T on my Dell Precision 5510 that has a 4K display...doesn't play smooth full screen like it should. When display res is set to 2K or 1080, it is smooth. But native 4K, choppy and slow.  Disabling the Open GL high profile kinda helps...but its still not smooth as it should be. (comparing to my 1080 desktop system and monitor.) Even with the min min settings in E.T, not even maxing out the gpu, its still laggy.

However, Cyberlink Power DVD 17 direct streams my channels for my HDR Prime via DLNA completely smooth and less cpu/gpu resources. It even allows Intel's Display image/video settings (like sharpening) to affect the video.   Course, this means i am stuck having to tune a channel by number/call sign from a file list, vs the MCE like software that is E.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Release 2.8.0 is up and adds the madvr player for video files as an option. Thanks guys.

tman

Release 2.8.0 is up and adds the madvr player for video files as an option. Thanks guys.

Great work Luke. Looking forward to trying this one out. MadVR is a feature for nerds, but boy does it make a difference!

DrJekle

Any reason madVR would not be processing live TV playback? It use to before the mpv player switch

It is a possibility for the future, but for the full live TV feature including seeking the live stream, we will be building with mpv.

• 1 year later...
fschris

interesting topic-

I was a long time ago user of Media browser.  I moved to Kodi after the change to Emby. I did not need something like plex. I only serve one PC and I dont stream to anything.  I just recently started getting into 4Kplay back and Kodi is as everyone knows is not ready for that and DSplayer is a bit bland ( albeit - it supports MADVR) . 

So I just thought Id circle back to Emby.  I see it has MadVR 4 Play back...

Then I see this thread! 

So, its cool to see Emby was smoking hot with Mad/VR + Emby but then got a little funked up with MPV. I guess it is new and needs some tweaking.  I am hopefully Emby with get MPV close to what the purist are looking for.

What should I do in the mean time?  I dont have hours to spend tweaking MADVR. 

Full Disclosure: I am a lifetime emby supporter.

Edited by fschris

Jdiesel

You can still use madVR if you set it up as an external player. I used MPC-HC personally. The downsides are that you don't get resume states and it takes a bit of tweaking to get the keymaps setup to your liking. The advantages are that you aren't bound by what implementation of madVR Emby chooses to use and can update and customize it at your will. madVR in MPC-HC has always been the most stable and best performing play I've ever used.

Hopefully one day Emby can tie into MPC-HC/BE's api to report playback progress to the sever, that would be the perfect solution.