Emby Theater - Option for MadVR Disappeared

srolomc

daedalus

I didn't read the manual at all.

first point to start with if you wanna use advanced settings

How to select the number of taps and neurons in mpv?

taps are in the manual

and neurons is a nnedi thing which is also possible somehow if i remember right

I haven't tried since last week but has frame rate switching been incorporated yet? There's a box for it but it wasn't doing anything for switching.

there is no box anymore and the plugin "workaround" it not working properly until now

Edited by daedalus

Sammy

first point to start with if you wanna use advanced settings

it's in the manual

and neurons is a nnedi thing which is also possible somehow if i remember right

there is no box anymore and the plugin "workaround" it not working properly until now

Thanks! This is a work in progress.. I set up MadVR on MPC-HC with no manual, just going off guide information made available over on avsforums. I had it set to forget (set it and forget it) but I guess I need to learn something new. BTW, on screen help is much more effective than having to refer to a manual. Emby has been very good with this up to now and I figure they will going forward with this too as mpv is developed into a mature player on Emby.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

Xorp

It should also be mentioned that madVR has the best HDR->SDR tone mapping algorithm in the business. Go ahead and play HDR content on a SDR display with both madVR and MPV and see how inferior the colors look with MPV.

#BringBackMadVR

Edited by Xorp

Deathsquirrel

#BringBackMadVR

Not exclusively directed at you, but for everyone upset that the default player is MPV-based now, can't you just use a MADVR-compatible external player?

It makes no sense to me that the team should be expected to support multiple default players.  They give you the option to use theirs or to use one of your choice.

• Like 1

Xorp

That would be the only option unless MPV can be modified to use Mad VR as a renderer

Which won't happen because madshi won't support any platforms other than Windows. He has stated as such.

Marc_G

Not exclusively directed at you, but for everyone upset that the default player is MPV-based now, can't you just use a MADVR-compatible external player?

It makes no sense to me that the team should be expected to support multiple default players.  They give you the option to use theirs or to use one of your choice.

A problem with external players is that ET doesn't seem to be able to track progress through the video, to allow proper resume. Emby for WMC did this fine, and this was how I played videos when I was using WMC (used MPC-HC as the external player). I looked into the possibility of external players with ET around Christmastime, when I was playing with a relatively low power windows box which struggled with ET but played fine with MPC-HC. Lack of progress tracking was a deal killer.

On my end, things seem to be settling down with the current version of ET, but I don't have really specialty needs filter wise.

Sammy

Which won't happen because madshi won't support any platforms other than Windows. He has stated as such.

But isn't ET on Windows? 

It should also be mentioned that madVR has the best HDR->SDR tone mapping algorithm in the business. Go ahead and play HDR content on a SDR display with both madVR and MPV and see how inferior the colors look with MPV.

#BringBackMadVR

I know this is specific to a subset of users but can be a show stopper for that subset. That said, if it is HDR content aren't you losing resolution on a SDR display anyhow?

Xorp

But isn't ET on Windows? 

I know this is specific to a subset of users but can be a show stopper for that subset. That said, if it is HDR content aren't you losing resolution on a SDR display anyhow?

MPV, which is what ET uses now, is cross platform, Windows/Linux/OSX, etc, so they won't add a renderer that only runs on the Windows version, and madshi won't make a *nix/OSX version of madVR.

Even if you have a SDR display with less resolution, you'd still want to collect HDR content available now have it playback correctly now (which madVR does the best), so you don't have to upgrade it again when you have a HDR display in the future. Same as collecting 1080p content when you had a 720p display years back.

Sammy

MPC-HC has options to sideload renderers, that's how we have always used madVR with it. If mpv player can be manipulated to sideload renderers is this now possible on the windows version inside Emby? I can see the Emby team wanting a consistent cross-platform player and that explains why I see the Emby Player on android as MX Player with the same functionality of on screen brightness and volume control.

@@Luke, care to comment? Thanks!

The primary reason to remove it was too dramatically increase the just works factor and reduce frustration. As soon as we bring it back then all of the troubleshooting and user frustration comes back with it. If we ever did bring it back, it would be for the simple scenarios only, meaning video files only. No live TV, no folder rips, etc.

Sammy

Thanks!

I'm just waiting for frame rate switching to be active and I'm good. I'm good with my 1080p Plasma right now and it will be years before I lay down some more cash on a UHDTV. The next thing such as this will be a projector and screen for outdoor movies by the pool and indoor movies in the bonus room..

To each their own on specific needs. If madVR is an absolute necessity there's still the external player option.

Sammy

I agree, stability is much improved with mpv player.. WAF is high.

Edited by Sammy

daedalus

The primary reason to remove it was too dramatically increase the just works factor and reduce frustration. As soon as we bring it back then all of the troubleshooting and user frustration comes back with it. If we ever did bring it back, it would be for the simple scenarios only, meaning video files only. No live TV, no folder rips, etc.

i think you would have prevented much of the now topical dissatisfaction if you wouldn't have dropped proper external player support with emby theater

i think you would have prevented much of the now topical dissatisfaction if you wouldn't have dropped proper external player support with emby theater

What do you mean? External player support is there. You can setup an external player if you like.

When you launch an app over the command line it is just a generic command line. We don't have knowledge embedded of how one player or another works internally.

daedalus

for eg mpc it should be pretty simple, emby wmc had it fully integrated in the old days (idk about today dont use it anymore)

speedingcheetah

Discovered something...setting the new E.T to DXVA2, OpenGL high quality, and ewa_lanczossharp....It allows the settings in Nvidia Control panel to adjust video, particularly "Edge Enhancement" . This then sharpens the video. 

This is good for my desktop, that has a good and already sharp monitor (HP 25xi  1080p).....but still have to  use MadVr version and its image enhancements ability on my Samsung laptop in order to sharpen video image enough to look good cause those Nvida settings do not exist on that laptop.. .  However, i am soon to replace that 5yr old Samsung series 7 laptop with a Dell Precision 5510 laptop i bought off a friend that has Nvidia Quadro gpu and a 15in 4k lcd....so we shall see how the new E.T work on that.

Anyone have any feedback on how E.T has been doing on Quadro gpu's  or running on 4k displays?

Edited by speedingcheetah

Sammy

for eg mpc it should be pretty simple, emby wmc had it fully integrated in the old days (idk about today dont use it anymore)

What do you mean? External player support is there. You can setup an external player if you like.

but there is eg no playstate tracking

When you launch an app over the command line it is just a generic command line. We don't have knowledge embedded of how one player or another works internally.

Now I know what you mean by "proper" external player.....

I didn't realize that ET doesn't track resume position when using an external player. Yes this was incorporated in MB2.6ish but that was different infrastructure. There's got to be a way to capture the last position time mark from MPC-HC and save it in the Emby Server, no? 

• Like 2

AdrianW

Now I know what you mean by "proper" external player.....

I didn't realize that ET doesn't track resume position when using an external player. Yes this was incorporated in MB2.6ish but that was different infrastructure. There's got to be a way to capture the last position time mark from MPC-HC and save it in the Emby Server, no? 

Exactly - I've been wanting that for ages. Like you said, MB2 and even EMC had/have proper integration with MPC-HC. It tracked play position and play state properly.

I think Luke just wants to keep the External player option generic - but I think adding specific code for the more popular external players (MPC-HC being probably the most popular) would make many users happy.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Does MPC-HC have an API or server that can be used to track progress?