Emby Theater - Option for MadVR Disappeared

srolomc

completely agree why not give your end users ( who are paying for premium and bought knowing madvr was implemented) the option to use madvr or not,

Seems a no brainer to me!!!

Why pay a monthly fee if the end product has fundamentally changed from what was originally offered?

We have the ability to offer the same scaling algorithms and filters as before, all the while dramatically increasing performance and the all-important "just works" factor.

daveyravey1972

We have the ability to offer the same scaling algorithms and filters as before, all the while dramatically increasing performance and the all-important "just works" factor.

its disappointing why we cant have an option of what renderers we use.

MadVr has much better picture quality than MPV and also half the MPV features are missing so why give us a half finished version leaving us without Madvr?

Xorp

It would still be nice to have madVR is a hidden/advanced feature. Maybe put (not recommended) next to it in a renderer selector? I've been using madVR since it's original release in 2009, and I've got every setting tweaked to perfection for my setup. I'm not going to switch after 8 years.

Edited by Xorp

Guest asrequested

I believe you'd need a second player, to be able to use MadVR. It's directshow, and mpv is self contained. Luke would have to write a lot of code for it to work, and then there would be even more "bugs" and complaints, having to manage two systems. Part of the reason for switching was because the directshow system was always problematic, for a lot of people. It isn't as simple as just having MadVR. You'd need LAV to decode, first, then keep up with all the updates and changes that come with that. MPV is far more stable. I too like to tweak the player settings, so I understand what it's like to use MadVR. I'm spending quite a bit of time going through the mpv manual and trying to find/test different commands/settings, that might be useful and Luke can add to the UI. We've got the basic structure figured out, now we just need to find all the settings that everyone wants. I can maybe help some of you test things, if you are interested? 

• Like 1

JMGNYC

Anyone had noticed weird unnatural motion? A little bit like shuttering in fast moving scene.

Yes, but I have written it off as not having frame rate switching. Although, I could be wrong.

tman

Couldn't quite believe when I upgraded to 2.6 today that MadVR was gone. I had it working perfectly with awesome upscaling and automatic refresh rate switching. I had no idea either that it was being removed. I really think that it could have been kept, but add MPV for early testing and feedback. At least that would have given you time to add some UI options for MPV and make sure it was working ok. I'm gonna have to rollback to 2.61 now I believe to get it back.

Couldn't quite believe when I upgraded to 2.6 today that MadVR was gone. I had it working perfectly with awesome upscaling and automatic refresh rate switching. I had no idea either that it was being removed. I really think that it could have been kept, but add MPV for early testing and feedback. At least that would have given you time to add some UI options for MPV and make sure it was working ok. I'm gonna have to rollback to 2.61 now I believe to get it back.

The 2.7 release today adds quite a few new options to the video settings. In fact, the video settings have more options that ever existed before, inside the app at least.

x-cimo

I tough that video option were gone because of the bug with them not always showing up.  Restarted theater and enabled hardware decoding and high quality openGL and the video is now so smooth. I think its way better than what it was before 2.6.

2.6 look like a step up for me :)

nnylray

I think some people here need to realize that Emby Theater is not a final product.  We are all getting the privilege to test out beta software.  If everything was "perfect" before, keep that old version and don't update.  I myself had MadVR set up just the way I liked it, but I am willing to test out MPV.  So far, I am appreciating its improved speed.  I'm sure eventually the MPV player will eventually be well worth the time that the developers are putting in.

Deathsquirrel

I missed 2.6 since I was out on vacation but I'm liking 2.7.  Playing with some settings as the picture seems a bit soft but otherwise working well.

Harblar

I really miss madvr as well. So far, in 2.7, any of the video options I try to change off from auto just introduce stutter... even the option to specifically reduce stutter. If I leave everything at default, playback is fast and of decent quality (on the one MKV Blueray rip I tried playing tonight), but stability really sucks! The movie I tried watching would freeze up about every 26 minutes. Hitting the back button and trying the resume feature did nothing. Closing out of theater and trying to restart didn't work at all. Emby wouldn't even load. The only solution was to completely reboot the PC... the fact that I have to do it every 26 minutes makes it completely useless!  I don't have a log file at the moment, but will try to get one posted when I've got some free time to tweak on this.

Also don't understand why frame rate switching is missing. To me, the whole point of Emby Theater for Windows should be for Maximum Audio/Videophile Playback capability. I would think that the majority of people here are running it on a fairly decently setup PC, plugged into a dedicated Home Theater environment, and only want to direct play 1:1 direct full quality rips of their blurays. Why not just leave the software for this one particular use alone (madvr, lav, etc...) and implement this new mpv version for all the other uses where madvr either isn't possible or not needed. Anybody who's looking to transcode to their tablets or Xbox, etc...  Won't be missing anything (and stand to see an improvement) while the rest of us can freely tweak and/or keep our already perfect running setups.

LASooner

The problem I have is movies that have worked just fine in the past, are crashing with this new player. Like locking up the computer crashing. I don't think this was ready for the release branch.

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 1

You may need to adjust some settings, e.g., it is possible you are using hardware acceleration when you would be better off without it or vice versa. I would make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and if you're on windows 10 make sure you're running the creator's update.

arrbee99

The problem I have is movies that have worked just fine in the past, are crashing with this new player. Like locking up the computer crashing. I don't think this was ready for the release branch.

FYI, not sure if this is related ?  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/47569-menu-items-disappear-in-emby-theater-desktop-269/#entry449828 comment at end of first post.

Edit: Duh sorry, you made that post anyway....

Edited by arrbee99

LASooner

You may need to adjust some settings, e.g., it is possible you are using hardware acceleration when you would be better off without it or vice versa. I would make sure your graphics drivers are up to date and if you're on windows 10 make sure you're running the creator's update.

Windows 7 x86, all drivers are up to date. I'm getting both barrels on this one because I've had to switch to Plex until this gets resolved. Wife's not a fan of their interface

Well they are using the same MPV video player so it is just a matter of configuration in one app vs. the other.

speedingcheetah

main setting i would like to see in the Emby Theater GUI...is the ability to adjust the picture it self.... mainly sharpness.  It was super easy to use MadVr enhancements options to set strong sharpening on devices with poor lcds, and less or none with good sharp lcds.  

Brightness/contrast and saturation adjustment would be nice as well.

main setting i would like to see in the Emby Theater GUI...is the ability to adjust the picture it self.... mainly sharpness.  It was super easy to use MadVr enhancements options to set strong sharpening on devices with poor lcds, and less or none with good sharp lcds.  

For sharpness you'll want to check out the scaling methods that are now exposed in 2.7.

Guest asrequested

These would be good to have, as they are adjustable.

591954c9ad5ee_Snapshot_121.jpg

Heuer

You can still use an external player like MPC-HC setup to use MadVR I believe.

• Like 2

daveyravey1972

I believe you'd need a second player, to be able to use MadVR. It's directshow, and mpv is self contained. Luke would have to write a lot of code for it to work, and then there would be even more "bugs" and complaints, having to manage two systems. Part of the reason for switching was because the directshow system was always problematic, for a lot of people. It isn't as simple as just having MadVR. You'd need LAV to decode, first, then keep up with all the updates and changes that come with that. MPV is far more stable. I too like to tweak the player settings, so I understand what it's like to use MadVR. I'm spending quite a bit of time going through the mpv manual and trying to find/test different commands/settings, that might be useful and Luke can add to the UI. We've got the basic structure figured out, now we just need to find all the settings that everyone wants. I can maybe help some of you test things, if you are interested? 

Jriver use madvr and have an option to use different renderers.  Just saying  ;o)