Emby Theater - Option for MadVR Disappeared

srolomc

puithove

madVR is just the RENDERER that is part of the overall DirectShow stack (think of it all as modules that snap together).  The old Emby Theater DirectShow PLAYER was another part of that stack which was custom built by the Emby team.  There's a bunch of other modules that all have to fit into that stack for everything to work together, and Emby has to not only develop the player, but support all those modules working together.

With mpv, it's an all-in-one demuxer, decoder, player, renderer and is an open-sourced developed package.

There's not really much of a comparison there.

julianb
I think the new MPV player is a great choice for Theater. But I do miss the Automatic Refresh Rate switching.. 

Otherwise, I think this could be really great when it's done! 

JMGNYC

I want to play with some of the settings in 2.7. But, to do so I need some sort of stats display (like madVR has) to see what sort of performance I am getting with the different upscaling options. Can anyone tell me how I can get these and how to toggle them on/off?

• Like 1

markyp

If you take a look at the testing thread there are instructions in there...

Edited by markyp

speedingcheetah

For sharpness you'll want to check out the scaling methods that are now exposed in 2.7.

I have tried them....but they aren't sharp enough, in fact, I can't tell any noticeable difference....madvr E.T. still looks far better when using their "Image Enhancements" settings.

Sammy

MPV supports a pretty vast selection of filters and scaling algorithms. Just take a look here:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/

Let us know which of those switches you'd like to see in the Emby UI and we're happy to add them.

All of them. It's all about choices.

Sammy

I came in here to report that frame rate switching was not working in ET and ran across this thread so at least now I know why. I was informed of the mpv testing thread a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to keep up with it, with everything else I'm trying to keep up on.. It would seem that mpv got incorporated without much announcement of it coming, its drawbacks and shortcomings as well as what it holds for the future. I think I didn't get 2.7 because I don't have available many settings. How to force the update?

BTW, I am seeing faster load times and a lot less time-outs on loading now so that is a move in the right direction for me.

Edited by Sammy

I came in here to report that frame rate switching was not working in ET and ran across this thread so at least now I know why. I was informed of the mpv testing thread a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to keep up with it, with everything else I'm trying to keep up on.. It would seem that mpv got incorporated without much announcement of it coming, its drawbacks and shortcomings as well as what it holds for the future. I think I didn't get 2.7 because I don't have available many settings. How to force the update?

Install from the website or just wait and eventually it will auto-update.

• Like 1

Sammy

Read the overview on https://mpv.io/

That's what brought about the question. If mpv does for PC's what MX Player does for android it will be a good thing once fully implemented and I know you guys are pretty good and responsive on implementation. Look what Emby is today vs what MB 2.6.2 or even MB 3.x was.. Still waiting for those plugins in ET though.. Guess you can only do just so much at once and developing mpv on ET takes focus right now. That is not a bad thing.

Sammy

I used to use MX Player in Emby for Android but now the internal player works so well I just use it. I suppose that ET will be a vast improvement over the current player when it is finished.

Did some testing. I'm really not impressed (frame rate, picture quality) and I miss so many MadVR features. It feels like Plex... I would like a refund of my lifetime license. 

daveyravey1972

im glad i didnt buy a lifetime licence.

I am back with Jriver now as they support all types of renderer which is what i think Emby Team should have done.

Such a shame because i love everything else about Emby!

tman

Without refresh rate switching, it's a non-starter for me. For those watching at 60hz, 3:2 pulldown will help, but with my HTPC desktop running at 50hz in the UK, 24Hz material is just unwatchable. I honestly do believe you should support multiple renderers. Maybe make MPV the default, but give a MadVR option to those who still want (have) to use it.

Yep. I do regret paying for a lifetime licence... Both for the the disappearance of MadVr and for the way it has been done. 

Edited by ybnl

Sammy

I see a pretty good selection of filters now in the settings screen but am not seeing jinc in there. Why?

I also am wondering about the OpenGL setting. I get judder with it and have a pretty decent AMD 7850 video card on a Devil's Canyon i5. What is the minimum requirements for using this option?

TIA

Guest asrequested

Here's what the docs, say

"opengl

OpenGL video output driver. It supports extended scaling methods, dithering and color management.

See OpenGL renderer options for options specific to this VO.

By default, it tries to use fast and fail-safe settings. Use the opengl-hq profile to use this driver with defaults set to high quality rendering. (This profile is also the replacement for --vo=opengl-hq.) The profile can be applied with --profile=opengl-hq and its contents can be viewed with --show-profile=opengl-hq."

"spline36

Mid quality and speed. This is the default when using opengl-hq"

Edited by Doofus

daedalus

I see a pretty good selection of filters now in the settings screen but am not seeing jinc in there. Why?

I also am wondering about the OpenGL setting. I get judder with it and have a pretty decent AMD 7850 video card on a Devil's Canyon i5. What is the minimum requirements for using this option?

TIA

just read the manual a bit and you will find jinc

Sammy

Thanks @@daedalus !

just read the manual a bit and you will find jinc

Hmm. I didn't read the manual at all. Has jinc been called something else? How to select the number of taps and neurons in mpv? I haven't tried since last week but has frame rate switching been incorporated yet? There's a box for it but it wasn't doing anything for switching.

From the mpv manual:

ewa_lanczos
Elliptic weighted average Lanczos scaling. Also known as Jinc. Relatively slow, but very good quality. The radius can be controlled with scale-radius. Increasing the radius makes the filter sharper but adds more ringing.

(This filter is an alias for jinc-windowed jinc)

ewa_lanczos is selectable in the Emby Theater UI.

Guest asrequested

"ewa_lanczos

Elliptic weighted average Lanczos scaling. Also known as Jinc. Relatively slow, but very good quality. The radius can be controlled with scale-radius. Increasing the radius makes the filter sharper but adds more ringing.

(This filter is an alias for jinc-windowed jinc)"

Sammy

Thanks for the information. I now recall this discussion years ago on some MadVR forum, probably over on avsforums.com..

I know you're still working on this but more explanation below the choices would be real nice!

I also know that my graphics card isn't up to snuff for the latest so that must be why I get stutter with OpenGL.