Emby Server & Emby Theater - Display Seperator/Divider for Plot/Overview of Multi-Episode Files

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

Some shows (eg, Phineas and Ferb) can often be comprised of two episodes per "block" (or ~20 minute episode time frame), and in instances where one chooses to keep those as a single file it would be nice if the Multi-Episode support added a little visual divider/marker when outputting the Overview/Plot so that it was more apparent when the plot of one episode ends, and the plot of the subsequent episode (contained in the same file) begins.

My proposal is that we just use the same green dot delimiter as is used to separate Genres:

<span class="bulletSeparator">•</span>

Above from: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-web-defaultskin/blob/gh-pages/item/item.js#L383

It'll be consistent with the overall look/feel, and no knew styles have to be created. :)

I would have done a Pull Request, but I couldn't see anything in the default skin that impacts this -- I suspect that the Plots are combined on the server and then outputted as a single plot. Oh, actually, it just occurred to me that the plot is being stored as a single plot (in the Overview field) because it is a single file (duh!).

Looking at the details of an example it does appear that the Plots are separated by a CRLF, but lately Emby Theater has not been displaying those (I thought, though I could be wrong, that in some earlier testing maybe a few weeks ago I had success with those characters being recognized and outputting as space between lines of text).

Regardless of how we get there, it would be nice to have a visual separator (whether CRLF, or something else) for these plots.

PS - If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

Edited by funwithmedia
  • Like 3

Not a bad idea.  Just needs to be something that is actually a part of the overview and will display properly on all platforms/apps.

Anything that requires every single app to have to change to support it is going to be a tough sell for a limited use feature :).

Better to just use something that will "just work" like "  |  ".

• Like 1

funwithmedia

That is a very valid point! :)

I could live with " | ", or something similar. Though if there were a way (I'm not currently sure how this would work) to read and display the CRLF as a <br><br> that would be great, as it appears (from my very small sample size) that the Overview for Multi-Episodes already contains that data. This would also have the added bonus of giving me CRLF support for something else I'm doing (where I'm adding Special Features data to the Plot).

Actually, a quick Google search ( https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6975787/trying-to-translate-a-carriage-return-into-a-br-html-tag-in-javascript ) indicates to me that it should be fairly trivial to replace the CRLF with <br><br> via Javascript when displaying the Overview. Note that this would just be changing the displayed data, not the data actually stored (which I think is a good route in this case, so that we're not making changes to what's stored in people's Overviews).

If this sounds good to you Devs I'll do some testing and see if I can do a Pull Request for this file:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-web-defaultskin/blob/gh-pages/item/item.js

funwithmedia

Oh, bummer. I was under the impression that all the apps were using the same underlying architecture or something.

Out of curiosity, which apps are included under the grouping "html apps?" In particular, is Emby Theater for Windows Desktop included in that?

funwithmedia

Right, yes -- I understand that now (ie, overview needing to be plaintext in order to work across clients). What I'm suggesting at this point (as this has evolved from my original post) is that we change things only on the "presentation layer" and that we leave the original, raw data untouched.

Emby Server is already (through no intervention on my part) separating multi-episode plots with 2 CRLF's (ie, this is how the data is being stored on the Server and in the accompanying NFO files).

So for clients that are html-based (which I think includes the Windows Desktop Emy Theater client) we can do a simple js function to replace the CRLF with <br><br> (since html ignores CRLF characters) on the presentation layer.

For non-html-based clients it is possible that the CRLF's that Emby is creating to separate plots is already being displayed. But if not, it should be similarly simple to adjust things on the presentation layer in those contexts.

I'm not currently setup on other Emby clients, but if anyone wants to check you can either pull up a multi-episode TV file in your client, or use the following test-case data to create one:

TV Series\Beetlejuice (1989)\Season 1\A Dandy Handy Man & Out of My Mind_S01E04-E05.mkv

But again, Emby Server is already storing the data with 2 CRLF's separating each plot (for multi-episode files), so I'm just proposing we leverage that to actually display the line-breaks across platforms.

:)

• 1 year later...
funwithmedia

:) Yeah, I know. But the daydream is that eventually there could be support for CRLF's that are contained in some Plot/Overview content such that in displaying the content the paragraphs from the CRLF's would actually display as paragraphs. I realize supporting this is unlikely, but maybe if there is enough interest/demand it will someday happen.

I think it makes sense and is a good idea, we just first have to go through every single app to try and see what will work.

funwithmedia

Cool, that's great to hear! And I understand that will be a tedious process (testing out what works with each app).

• 9 months later...