Emby Server & Emby Theater - Support NFO Files and Automatic Metadata Lookup for Extras

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

From what I can tell currently videos within the "extras" folder do not get parsed automatically for online metadata, nor do any associated NFO files (from outside of Emby) get parsed. Following up on this post ( https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/40262-why-are-dvd-extras-limited-to-a-single-directory/page-2&do=findComment&comment=377431 ) I thought I'd go ahead and make a request here (and reiterate some of what I posted in the above thread).

I'd be interested in NFO support for Extras, both support for writing to NFO, but also for reading an pre-existing NFO on import, like is done for regular items and automatically adding any available online metadata. However, given that the way extras are currently presented (ie, such that you don't really see/view much of their details), I can understand why there currently is not much support for additional details (and thus no NFO file support).

Edit: Also, images named the same as a given extras video are ignored. It would be nice if these were picked up as well, like they are in non-extras contexts.

Edit: An additional clarification: By "automatic" I do not mean that a external lookup should be automatically performed for every file in the Extras directory, as that would likely be a nightmare of mismatches. Rather, I just mean that if there is an NFO file that goes with a video file, and the NFO file contains metadata (such as IMDB ID, etc.) then an automatic lookup using that data should be performed in order to grab the corresponding metadata for that Extra.

PS - If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

Edited by funwithmedia
  • Like 2

funwithmedia

Sorry, I should have specified that I have tested that and have not yet seen any instance where an NFO file of the same name as the associated extra (and sitting in the same extras folder) has ever been picked up / read by Emby Server. Over the weekend I added a ton of videos to Emby, of which there were ~80 extras folders (one folder per associated primary item, of course), and while the videos (in the extras folders) have been picked up and indexed, none of the associated NFO files have been read by Emby (at least in my spot checking). As far as I can tell Emby finished reading the NFO files for all of the non-extras videos a few days ago, so I don't expect that it is a timing issue at this point (plus I had done testing prior to my big import and never saw any extras NFO files get read, no matter how long).

I hope that helps! :)

I should also note that at least in ET, it appears that External ID's are not allowed for Extras, which inclines me to interpret that even once the capability for the NFO to be read is added, Emby may not necessarily do a metadata lookup (even if there is a provided id, such as IMDB link) without some additional code tweaking. I'm guessing this is because the Inherit type gets treated differently internally.

Happy2Play

What extras have metadata and where would it come from?  Isn't any metadata for extras all user input?

Also no information on Emby ever comes from IMDB itself.

funwithmedia

In my experience it is not uncommon for some extras to have online metadata. Think, for example, of DVD extras that were produced independent of the DVD (eg, maybe a documentary related to the movie) that are later paired with the DVD. Or sometimes the extra is created for the DVD, but it is substantial enough that it still gets an online entry (the hour long documentaries that come with the Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are examples of this).

Regarding IMDB: I realize there is no IMDB scraping, but in following the Kodi NFO file approach, a IMDB link can be included as a way of identifying the video (as some metadata sites can find their own version of something using the IMDB ID), even though an actual IMDB lookup is not performed. I'm transitioning from my own, custom-built system where I used to do IMDB scrapping, so IMDB ID is what I have for ID'ing things, and thus expedient for me to be including programatically. :)

funwithmedia

Just realized I forgot to mention in the original post that images named the same as a given extras video are ignored. It would be nice if these were picked up as well, like they are in non-extras contexts.

• 2 months later...
funwithmedia

I realize metadata/NFO support for Movie Extras may be a while off, but it would be useful/helpful to me if support for images (named the same as a given extra) could be added. I'd also very much appreciate it if this included support for Extras that are Media Stubs (eg, Special Feature ABC.disc, and accompanying image of Special Feature ABC.jpg).

Thanks! :)

An image file with the same name as the video might already work but this hasn't been tested.

funwithmedia

An image file with the same name as the video might already work but this hasn't been tested.

Thanks @@Luke. I was trying to imply (though I see I should have been more explicit) that I've already tested that, both with video files (eg, Special Feature ABC.mpeg) and with Media Stubs (eg, Special Feature ABC.disc). Currently Emby Server ignores any images (or NFO) files in the Extras folder.

I recognize that adding NFO file support for Extras potentially brings with it other complexities (eg, currently there's no way to display Extra's metadata), so that's why I'm thinking that adding image support first could at least be an intermediary step in that direction (although, maybe on the backend the complexity is the same either way?).

funwithmedia

It just occurred to me that adding support for images for Extras, including Extras that are Media Stubs, is going to touch on this other unresolved issue of same-named images not being recognized for Media Stubs (eg, with "Star Trek Beyond (2016).hddvd.disc" the image of "Star Trek Beyond (2016).hddvd.jpg" is ignored). For my purposes, I'm particularly wanting image support for Extras that are Media Stubs (as well as just wanting same-name image support for Media Stubs in general). So figured it was appropriate to mention that this touches on that other issue, as that adds to the workload and/or programming complexity.

• 2 weeks later...
funwithmedia

Regardless of metadata lookup for Extras (which I'd still love to see eventually), I'd be grateful if/when NFO file support is added for Extras if you all could be sure to generate (or least have the option to generate) NFO files for existing Extras using data stored in the Emby database.

For some of my Extras I am setting Sort Title as a way to Order/Sort some Extras (so that related Extras will be in the proper order), and I'd love to have that data stored in NFO files so that I don't lose it if something every mangled my Emby database. I realize of course that I could also achieve sorting via creative file-naming, but since the display space for the Title of Extras is rather limited (and something like what I've requested elsewhere is not yet implemented) it is preferable aesthetically for me to use Sort Title instead.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...
nappysolo

I too would love to see some of the things discussed in this thread. I have a number of blurays that include "making of" documentaries that have their own moviedb entries. Would like to be able to get that data available without having to make the documentary a completely separate item, thereby losing the association with the main movie.