Android TV App With Live Channels Support

breezytm

Can you detail again exactly what you are looking for here?  Because the Emby app already has an interface for Live TV and a (much better IMO) interface for your other content than a single grid but I'm open to anything that makes sense and provides an enhanced experience for a large enough group of users.

One of the reasons there has been no movement here is because not very many people are requesting this (whatever "this" really is in your eye).  For instance, no one else has mentioned it since June.

breezytm

It's a pretty darn good idea. I don't understand why they refuse to do it. It's different yes. Different is good. People like different. People will use it. I know for a fact the competitor would be very hesitant in doing something like that because they want their customers to use their app for everything which in my opinion is a terrible freaking idea. It seems like you guys are pushing for the same thing as well. Keep adding more rows in your Apps only makes it look clustered an annoying. I don't want to use Emby App for Live TV. I want to use the Live TV app (Live Channels) built in to my device operation system for Live TV. It was design purely for Live TV experience and it's great. 

breezytm

Can you detail again exactly what you are looking for here?

Emby App as source for Live Channels app. 

Because the Emby app already has an interface for Live TV and a (much better IMO) interface for your other content than a single grid 

I disagree

I'm open to anything that makes sense and provides an enhanced experience for a large enough group of users.

One of the reasons there has been no movement here is because not very many people are requesting this (whatever "this" really is in your eye).  For instance, no one else has mentioned it since June.

I made the request and I show up in here asking for update every other months. No one got that kind of time to constantly asking for the same thing. I have read many feature requests from others and after reading the response from either you or @@Luke I realize it is a waste of energy to even bother say "+1". If you relying on how many people is requesting something to think it's worth adding to Emby experience I think that's a terrible approach.

Here's an example for ya. I just brought a new server so I am reinstalling all my applications. It took me 5 minutes to configure Live TV in Plex. I started configuring Emby and realized I can't proceed with Live TV in Emby because I need a guide provider or an XMLTV file. I don't want to pay schedule direct for guide. I already am paying Silicondust for guide. That's a waste of money. I proceed with installing and configuring TVH. Two days later I am still configuring TVH. Emby is still not done configuring. I got annoying and put a request for zapit and tvguide support for Emby. I surf the forum but didn't find anyone else requested it. To you it may not be such a big deal because your server is already fully up but to me it's annoying that Emby has Live TV implemented for years now but Plex just introduced it and the managed to make it much easier to deploy. Your need, your want and mines will not always be the same. But that doesn't mean what I want is less important than what others want. 

Emby App as source for Live Channels app. 

But exactly what from Emby?  It sounds like you just want the Live TV channels and you have an HDHR.  If that's the case, don't you already have those channels available in the Live Channels app?

That's my disconnect.  I'm trying to figure out what Emby would provide you in your use-case.

Thanks.

"Emby as a source for Live Channels app for Live TV" ~ That should sum it up. 

But it really doesn't because Emby could provide any number of forms of content to that interface in any number of ways with varying levels of features and complexity.

What you are actually asking for is access to Emby Live TV channels in Live Channels.  I understand that now.  Thanks.

• Like 1

breezytm

What you are actually asking for is access to Emby Live TV channels in Live Channels.  I understand that now.  Thanks.

Yes sir. Ability to timeshift, etc... I am not going to go through the thread to look for this but I remember myself and someone else were also discussing how nice it would be if we can use Live Channels to play random movies and tv shows from Emby as well. Similarly to Pseudo TV from Kodi. But I know that's a stretch.

I also want this mainly because once setup all users could use it as a regular tv with the tv control channel +. 1 and even the guide button, also streams would be transcoded by emby as sometimes the stream provided by the tunner are not the best ones, advance features such as managing recordings could be left inside the app for now and maybe later exported to TV Input framework.

Some time back i started doing some of the work using this as a base https://github.com/googlesamples/androidtv-sample-inputs and it was not so hard to get it working on the tv, but my tv was having some other problems so had to drop it, now i just changed computer and lost my work :( , maybe if i have some time next year i would work on it again but would still prefer to make this part of the official app as it shouldn't take to much to make the data available for the basic stream and expose them as a TV Input based on the sample code provided by google, at least for the beta/testing app. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This would be an awesome addition to Emby.  I love the ShieldTV and LiveChannels makes using TV so easy that anyone from a young kid to a technology challenged older adult can use it.

Why this would be great.  If LiveChannels was able fully use the functions of Emby such as IPTV, DVR, TimeShift (pause/RW/FF) it would dramatically become more powerful and since it's so easy to use even grandpop could use it.

Some of the potential pitfalls would be:

Would need a channel 0 listing or some other easy to use way to access DVR content.

Would get semi-confusing for sources not routed via Emby such as Weather Channel or a current favorite Pluto TV as these sources would have the TimeShifting or DVR features.

On my ShieldTV LiveChannels is my GOTO source for LiveTV even without the time shift features already mentioned.  It just works and is about the best UI there currently is for LiveTV that I've seen. Simplicity is what makes it so good.

• 6 months later...
kanipek

I know this is an old thread, but Live Channels app integration would be huge for Emby.

I don't see an issue with duplication of content either. As the first thing I would do is deselect all of the HDHR sources in Live Channels.

Why? To make it simpler and more reliable - far to many issues with my HDHR guide using the SD integration. This is why it is unusable as a DVR for me - can't rely on the the guide info if it suddenly disappears there go your scheduled recordings. Getting it fixed is another issue, sometimes it can be rectified rapidly and sometimes it can take awhile. But again you have to really follow it closely to ensure the guide info is updating and there is really no fast and easy way to monitor that.

So Live Channels integration from Emby - YES please. I personally don't even care about the Live Channels DVR portion - just Live TV for me would be great.

Sammy

The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Specially the guide. I noticed every other apps that integrate with Live Channels as a source, besides the VIEW app, seems to work just fine. Clearly, the issue is the SD app and they stopped maintenance on the green app waiting on the grey app which no one knows when it will be ready for primetime. 

Latest Live Channels Beta works quite well with Silicon Dust HDHR tuners.

Sammy

But of course you're using Emby.

I mean Live Channels in the native Shield Home Screen..

That said, I use Emby all the time but lately (since 3.5.0.0) it has been crashing on LiveTV playback. I haven't had the chance to write up a report on here yet but will.

Edited by Sammy