Android TV App With Live Channels Support

breezytm

breezytm

Hey guys, 

Should I lose faith on this? I have been waiting for a pretty long time for this and still nada :(

Regards, 

• Like 1

Yes this is something we'd like to add for a future update to the app. Hopefully in the meantime you are enjoying all of the other improvements to the app.

• Like 1

breezytm

Yeah the app has been working great. I am only missing two things which I mentioned to @@ebr. That was one of the two and I am still waiting :/
The other is switch server when login to emby connect. Not sure If that has been fixed yet.  

The other is switch server when login to emby connect. Not sure If that has been fixed yet.  

This will be addressed in the next beta.  If logged in via Connect, when you hit the logout button, it will take you to the server selection screen.

• Like 1

breezytm

What, exactly, are you looking for with this particular request (Live Channels support)?

The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Specially the guide. I noticed every other apps that integrate with Live Channels as a source, besides the VIEW app, seems to work just fine. Clearly, the issue is the SD app and they stopped maintenance on the green app waiting on the grey app which no one knows when it will be ready for primetime. 

Okay, but that didn't really answer my question :).  What, exactly, from Emby do you want to see in the Live Channels app?

My point being, it doesn't make sense for us to publish Live TV content to it because that is already done via HDHR.  So, that just leaves other types of content and that's what I'm trying to get at.  What do you want it to do that the Emby app doesn't already do for you?

breezytm

Okay, but that didn't really answer my question :).  What, exactly, from Emby do you want to see in the Live Channels app?

My point being, it doesn't make sense for us to publish Live TV content to it because that is already done via HDHR.  So, that just leaves other types of content and that's what I'm trying to get at.  What do you want it to do that the Emby app doesn't already do for you?

I thought I answered that. I want Live TV from it because the HDHR View app does not work well with Live channels.  Live channels is simple and easy to use so the family loves it. Emby live tv works great for me but my family doesn't really use it. 

breezytm

what would it need in order for the family to use it?

Less clicks. Live TV is one click from the home screen. Emby Live TV is: 1 click from the main screen, cone click to select the user, wait for the app to pull the contents from the server, one scroll down to Guide/channel or whatever, select the channel. 

Edit: There is nothing wrong with the app as I mentioned before but my 6 year old niece can use Live channels without anyone teaching it to her. All she needed to know was that's where the cable channels were. My nephew figured it out on his own without asking because it's self-explanatory. 

Edited by breezytm

with auto-login you don't have to select the user though, right? so that is one click that can be removed.

breezytm

with auto-login you don't have to select the user though, right? so that is one click that can be removed.

Right. But in my household, everyone has their own account because of watched status. 

breezytm

Also if you guys can go even further with that feature and do something similar to PseudoTV this can be a huge thing. I can add additional channels that play random movies from my library or random tv shows, music etc...But I can understand the reluctance considering how great the app itself works without this added feature but I can ensure you it would be a game changer. And I would certainly be grateful. 

MrWebsmith

exactly.. eric, lets take this all the way around to the mbplus days again.. im so ready ;)

• Like 1

Vidman

The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Specially the guide. I noticed every other apps that integrate with Live Channels as a source, besides the VIEW app, seems to work just fine. Clearly, the issue is the SD app and they stopped maintenance on the green app waiting on the grey app which no one knows when it will be ready for primetime.

You can download and sideload a beta from the silicone dust forums which works well

CBers

You can download and sideload a beta from the silicone dust forums which works well

You don't even have to sideload it, just become a beta tester.

Right. But in my household, everyone has their own account because of watched status. 

But you see that's exactly what you give up with the Live Channels interface.  It has no concept of a user so, if we were to do this, we'd have to make you choose a specific user to publish content from.

I think publishing our Live TV through the Live Channels app would be very confusing to most people because everything would be duplicated - with our version harder to find/get to.

Finally, if your use case is primarily for Live TV, try turning on the "Live TV Mode" option in the Emby app...

clarkss12

I think I understand what Breezytm is asking for, to make it simple to use the Live Channels app.  Just to watch "live" TV, you have to jump through hoops, which in reality, should be just one click and you are watching TV.  

I am testing this using my Xiaomi MI box.  The HDHomeRun app running as the server for the Live Channels app works great, albeit only have 4 hours of guide, but that is another story.  Strangely, in my testing, I started a live channel from your app, and the picture is frozen.  And from the dashboard, it shows it is direct streaming, but it is frozen.

Also, my DVBLink server is also able to integrate with the Live Channels app, but as EBR says, it makes duplicate channels.  I also have a tvheadend server and there is a beta version that integrates with the Live Channels app also, but only tried it in the beginning of it's life.

Anyway, I guess I am saying it would be nice to have a choice of servers to use with the Live Channels.

Now to figure out what my live TV stream is frozen in my Live Channels app.

Just to watch "live" TV, you have to jump through hoops, which in reality, should be just one click and you are watching TV.  

Finally, if your use case is primarily for Live TV, try turning on the "Live TV Mode" option in the Emby app...

• Like 1

clarkss12

Bingo, you are correct, I forgot about that selection.

Edited by clarkss12

breezytm

@@Vidman @@CBers I am aware of it and I do have it installed on my boxes since I am a beta tester but I don't have it configured in Live Channels because it is beta. Never know when something will break. 

@@ebr I don't think preselecting a user for live tv is a big deal. I can easily create a guest account. In the app, you just ask the user to select which user account will be used for live tv when launched from Live channels. That solves that problem. 

I don't see how there would be duplicated channels if I am only using one application as a source. Live channels allow users to unselect any sources he/she does not want to appear in the guide. 

Lastly, the Live TV mode suggested by @@Luke isn't doing what I want. I want Live Channels for Live TV and Emby for Movie and TV shows viewing. 

Lastly, the Live TV mode suggested by @@Luke isn't doing what I want. I want Live Channels for Live TV and Emby for Movie and TV shows viewing. 

That was me not Luke :).

You said that you didn't use Emby for Live TV only because it took too many clicks to get to it.  The Live TV mode eliminates that issue.

Running our same Live TV through the Channels app is going to give you the exact same thing as Live TV in our app so, if you can eliminate the issue with using our app for Live TV, why do we still need to put it through the Channels app...?

Vidman

I think ebr means the duplication of having channels in live channels and in the emby app

I think you are trying to overly complicate the emby app to compensate for the poor SD app

Edited by Vidman

breezytm

That was me not Luke :).

Oops my bad :/ . 

Running our same Live TV through the Channels app is going to give you the exact same thing as Live TV in our app so, if you can eliminate the issue with using our app for Live TV, why do we still need to put it through the Channels app...?

I answered that already. I want to use Live Channels for Live TV viewing and Emby app (meaning launching the Emby app) for movies and tv shows viewing only. Currently, that's what my family is using them for. It is working and easy to use. I used to give them Live TV access through Emby and I got so tired of answering questions I had to take it away.  

I think ebr means the duplication of having channels in live channels and in the emby app

I hope not, that would be stating the obvious. Every app that Live TV uses as a source also has the capability of the viewing the channel within the app itself. 

I think you are trying to overly complicate the emby app to compensate for the poor SD app

You are absolutely correct. Quoting myself "The official HDHomerun app does not work well with Live Channels. It's always not responding. My family can use the HDHomerun app which works well but they hate the GUI. Especially the guide."

Edited by breezytm
  • Like 1

MSattler

Honestly, I just don't ever even use Emby for Live TV unless I'm doing so from a remote location.

Channels makes it so easy, not sure why I would want to deviate from that.

Channels works GREAT with my HDHR tuners.

Emby works ok with it, but essentially I am dealing with a middle man.  Unless you count Channels as an app on it's on, but even then Channels will always be easier to get to because it is made for watching LiveTV.

If there is any Channels integration, I would love to be able to setup my own Emby Channels, like one Channel where I can program Star Wars every day, all day, and I can just tune into that channel and watch it.    Lol 

• Like 2